1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cursing in sports

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Ramathorn006, Apr 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But there's a problem right there... Kids shouldn't be looking up to these sport figures as role models/model citizens. They are human and they're not different then anyone else. Should they respect the game itself? Yes, but it's the parent's job to explain to their children that these sports figures aren't someone they should follow.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it should be that way....too bad it isnt.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Well, forbidden words is kind of a dumb concept anyway.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

When I have kids; If they don't mention me in the conversation of role models, I wouldn't have done my job well enough.

5. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

So true.

6. tulexan

tulexan Member

Swearing on the golf course after a bad shot is not nearly as bad as slamming or throwing your club

7. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Try telling him that....
    [​IMG]

8. cson

cson Contributing Member

Sorry folks! It's not some overpaid athlete's job to call my four year old "a sorry motherf@cker." That job belongs to me. Me and my spouse.

rep it

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Alec?
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lgj6NEk9xEw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lgj6NEk9xEw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

An athlete letting one fly when they miss an easy shot or get hit by a hard foul doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me is people who make it part of their regular languange and have to include a swear in every other sentence.

I don't find that offensive so much as lazy and sloppy.

11. Precision340

Precision340 Member

emotion is good for the game!

signed biden

12. droxford

droxford Member

I've heard this for years and I completely disagree with it. There are many profane words that cannot be replaced.

For example: *******.

Now, when someone treats me poorly, I could say, "That guy is a really unpleasant person. Truly, he is he dolt - a person of very low character. What kind of an ignoramus would do such a thing? What a troglodyte!"

Honestly, however, these words are not nearly sufficient to express my feelings about said person. There really is no replacement for the word, "*******" when used in such context.

This is the case for many, if not most, profane words when used in similar context.

To summarize...

In my opinion, the typical goody-two-shoes remark of "people who use profanity simply don't have a good enough vocabulary to think of better words to say" is complete rubbish, fabricated by arrogant people who are inane in the ways of common social communication. It is they who are lacking in accurate and eloquent vernacular.

13. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

That's what SHE said!

14. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I don't allow my athletes to curse. I don't allow my children to curse. Are my children sheltered? nah. They hear cursing. They also know not to repeat what they hear.

Do they curse themselves. Probably. I did when I was a kid and adults were not around.

Does a slip bother me? Not so much.
    What I don't appreciate it when idiots are vulgar around my wife and children. Cursing up a storm and being obnoxious.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Nobody would know Tiger was cursing, if the media wasn't obsessing about him, and choosing to focus on it. It certainly doesn't bother me. I love the amount of passion Tiger shows on the course. Golf is a very boring sport without it. I think the drastic increase in popularity since Tiger joined the tour proves that the fans want to see that.

1 person likes this.
  16. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

sorry, I do not care. If a guy does not, cool. I consider him a class act. But i am not going to rip a guy because he has a potty mouth. I mean seriously, if you have kids, use it as a teaching tool. Turn to you child and say "Hey that is not how you are suppose to act. Not as many people will respect you for talking like that."
    If you hold a bad mouth against players, you will not like some of the greatest players in every sport

17. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Some folks' kids need to be called a sorry motherf@cker.

18. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I agree with your part about people being vulgar around your wife and children but it's a two way street. I hate when parents can't get their children in line out in public. No one wants to hear your kid act like a badass. Especially when you go to a sporting event. This happens way too much. Parents need to be punch in the face if they can't get their children under control.

I know I'm not as old as others that might be on this board but when were brought up, we got our asses beat if we acted up like kids do nowadays. Our parents didn't just look at the child and act like it wasn't nothing.

1 person likes this.
  19. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I believe this is the way to go about things.

And as someone mentioned before what athletes dont curse. There is actually a list of athlete im sure that can hold their emotions but i know when im playing like crap on the basketball court i curse.

The article that encouraged me to write this thread was about Jim Nantz taking a shot at Tiger Woods and the article was say how Phil Mickelson didnt curse when he made a bad shot. It just makes me upset that people just try to break someone down to pieces after they have made a mistake in life. I've made mistakes in my life but its how you overcome those mistakes and better yourself from them. I think Tiger is trying to make the right moves saying he did mess up but he will TRY to be a better person.

I find cursing in sports fun and entertaining. Meh...

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

If you would have read my whole post, you would have realized that the point where Mr. Tongue met Mr. Cheek occurred fairly early. No biggie, though.