1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Curry - Most Impact On How Basketball Is Played This Generation?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crossover, Mar 16, 2015.

1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Member

So if we were to start from the beginning, it would go (and do murder me on this, I am going on guessing for the most part):

Jerry West
    Dr J
    Magic Johnson
    Michael Jordan
    Kobe Bryant
    Steph Curry?

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Every rule favors some type of players and discriminates other types. The fact that basketball's goal is 10-ft high favors tall people. If the rule allowed a lot of physical contacts, it would favor rough and strong players over finesse skilled players.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How could you forget. . . . LLLLLLEEEEEEEEE BBBBBBRRRRROOOOOONNNNNNN

Rocket River
    trust the NBA never lets you forget. . . .

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You have GOT TO BE SH***ING ME!

Rocket River

5. crossover

crossover Member

He's a great shooter, but I think more specifically, the part that will be emulated is his quick release and free form dribbling.

His shot is pretty far from oldschool textbook with a lot of push, knees inward, ball dip, and asymmetry from having one foot far forward either by turning motion or in set. Because of that, he can get his shot off fast and at weird angles.

His dribbling is the byproduct of being so technically sound. It kind of reminds me of Bruce Lee in martial arts where first you learn forms but once you've mastered them, you revert to having no form again. His dribbling isn't flash like Kyrie; it's just so functional.

These two parts are where he'll have such a big impact on the game, both kids and professionally, imo.

#25 crossover, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  6. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

Let me get this straight, Harden's game was molded to be ultra efficient and curry has the natural talent to be an otherworldly shooter yet curry is the one kids will emulate?

Hate to break it to you, but a million wannabe currys will be just as bad as a million wannabe kobes

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think it would be interesting to see a High school imitating Steph versus one imitating Harden in a game

Rocket River

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Few high school kids can grow a big beard.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Unfortunately I would have to disagree with this thread, simply because as you said Steph Curry is unique. And because he is unique, he will have very little impact because people can't replicate what he does. I'm not sure where you say Curry's skills have nothing to do with his natural physical gifts, being athletic is easier to attain than the kind of otherworldly skills Curry has. Lots of guys can jump high, or dunk, etc. and if you want to do it all you really have to do is work out your core in the gym and you can be athletic enough to beast against your neightborhood league. However millions of people have been working out and they have nowhere near the accuracy that Curry does so how can you even say that has nothing to do with talent? People can't replicate what Curry does even with practice so it has to be talent, simple as that.

You can learn how to shoot and you can learn how to playmake, the problem is it is impossible "to be like Curry" unless you are already a very good player, if you are some random Joe across the street and you sink an open 3 pointer, do you go around acting Steph Curry? No, the only way you can act like Steph Curry is if you do something crazy like break a guy's ankles and then execute a behind the back pass between some other dude's legs, Steph Curry is a flashy player and the only way you can emulate flashy players is if you can do flashy plays yourself. This is like saying Yao Ming had a lot of impact when the reality is to be like Yao you need to first be 6-7 ft and still have a really good shooting stroke.

This is the difference between a guy like MJ/Iverson and a guy like Curry. MJ and Iverson became so popular because they are relatable, other guys are 7 fters like Hakeem or Shaq or Ewing but then you have these midgets (in comparison) going up against them and winning. They are like "everymen" sure everybody can't dominate like MJ but a lot of people can dunk, do the cross over or take a contested step back jumper. They won't succeed as much as MJ or Iverson did, but when it does they can't call themselves "The Answer" or whatever. How the **** do you replicate what Curry does? To even do a low level version of the **** Curry's been doing you need to already be really great at b-ball in the first place.

Between the two, the beard will have more impact because growing a beard and learning the Euro step is easier than the ridiculous trickshot level stuff Curry does on a regular basis.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Can Curry carry a team though? (say that ten times fast)

11. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

Yeah ultra efficient at the FT line

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

Kids have been trying to jack up threes since I can remember. Only difference is that Curry can make the 3 on 1 fast break 3's and shoot 3's when hes out of trouble.