1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Currently, what is this team's biggest skill weakness?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jul 25, 2015.

?

Currently, what is this team's biggest skill weakness?

1. Perimeter defense

64 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Paint defense/rim protection

15 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. 3-point shooting

72 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. free throw shooting

114 vote(s)
    27.0%
  5. turnover differential

57 vote(s)
    13.5%
  6. defensive rebounding

76 vote(s)
    18.0%
  7. offensive rebounding

7 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. playmaking/assists

17 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. basketballholic

Pat Riley - a coach whose career was defined by teams who played great defense and rebounded like they were playing rugby.

Gotta get the ball to score.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

The uniforms. Definitely the unis.

1 person likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Flexibility.

Considering both Jones and DMo become RFA's after this season its unlikely they keep both long term , they need to make a decision on which to retain and move the other for a player with more time remaining on his rookie deal.

Currently the team cant afford to move T.Jones (or DMo) without bringing in his replacement in said deal. That really limits who they can deal with and what players they can bring back.

Having traded away next years #1 complicates that matter as well because Jones alone isn't enough to bring back what they would require in return. Likely have to add KJ , another player or future pick.

4. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

This. 100% agree.

On a serious note, I think it's a good sign that there's no clear cut result in the poll for the upcoming season.

I know free throws have a lead, and Dwight will be Dwight when it comes to free throws, but next year's squad won't be as bad as last year's IMO. A previous poster pointed out that we were last in percentage and first in attempts in our playoff run; Josh Smith, Joey Dorsey, Dwight Howard, and Clint Capella (though he slightly improved as he got more PT) were the reason's for that dip in percentage. I (hope to) see Capella being a more consistent FT shooter next year, and I also don't think Chuck Hayes will see significant minutes to make a negative impact in that regard.

I'd have to say is post defense is my biggest concern. Dwight showed he can still make an impact and Capella affects shots just from his size/length, but I'm unsure about the DMo/TJ combo at the 4.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree.

What "replacement" are you getting that will adequately guarantee similar production, and give you more flexibility with a long-term rookie scale or veteran contract?

Last year all year, the "Trade Jones" crowd kept on touting Brandon Bass as a player the Rockets could surely get on a vet min contract to replace Jones. Bass took a 1 year deal with a team he will likely start on in order to secure a bigger deal next Summer. Derrick Williams was another player touted as a cheap replacement this year. He just signed for the Knicks for almost double what Jones costs.

Again... where is that replacement player everyone keeps on saying is out there for next to nothing?

There is an example I keep showing people where you need to look at Jones as a one-year contract in a year where the Rockets are likely going for a title.

Last year Morey gave up FOUR 2nd round picks for assumingly rental contract players of Prigioni & Brewer because they were at a position of need in a year in which they were contending. This isn't 2012 anymore where Morey is still flipping role players for picks & young players to create a trade package for a star.

There are other factors in play though that still might lead the Rockets to trade Jones, but we need to clear our heads of the 2012 mentality that just because him and D-Mo are going to be RFA, that the Rockets don't value this next year of basketball you will get from Jones on a one-year deal MORE THAN they'd view that asset, pick, or player they get in return for trading him.

Here are some If's that could lead the Rockets to trade Jones-

-Harrell simply beats out Jones for minutes (& D-Mo is relatively healthy)

-The Rockets are able to sign a vet min guy who beats out Jones (would Boozer beat out Jones... that's debatable)

-Capela grows as a player enough to play more minutes and beats out Jones
    -The Rockets look to be super healthy this year with little risk of injury (and one of the above happens)

-The Jones trade is for a pick that is so good that Morey knows for a fact he can flip that pick at the deadline for a really, really good player that is better than Jones by a longshot.... which begs the question... why would a team give up a really good pick for Jones, when that same pick can be used to net a better player that is available or soon to be available?

So let's start looking at Jones as a player on a one year contract rather than a player that is going to bolt tomorrow. We need to be weighting that REAL TIME court value for entire year at a position with multiple question marks & health issues vs. what we are getting in return first and foremost.

Just some thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Currently... what is this team's biggest SKILL weakness???

"Skill Weakness" is sort of a weird way of phrasing it. The areas of "skill" weakness as a team last year were pretty obvious.

-Turnovers were rather high (ball handling is a skill)
    -Free throw shooting % was low (free throw shooting % is a skill)
    -Defensive Rebounding
    -3 point shooting (the Rockets shoot the highest volume, but aren't a great 3 point shooting team % wise. That's a skill they can improve)

Its hard to pick out just one, but hell I'll actually go with 3 point shooting. Just image how deadly the Rockets would be if they simply shot the ball 4 to 6% higher this year with the same volume. In pure math context, I would think that helps the most from an analytical standpoint.

The biggest need of this team & way to improve though is simply for the young players to emerge, improve, and step up. Especially with Capela backing up Dwight, and giving the Rockets a true backup. Harrell and Dekker at the 4 spot could be huge options moving forward for several reasons. Even this year with injuries its huge if they can be good solid rookies with promise.

Then lastly.... Health is a huge need. Its not a skill, but its a huge need.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Turnovers- this will always be a problem with Hardens style and Dwight's interior game. But hopefully Lawson helps.

Paint defense- other than Dwight, we have nothing great here. Capela has potential, Jones can get some weakside blocks and DMo can draw some charges.

Rebounding- Dwight is elite, Harden and Ariza are good for their positions. PF is a sore spot again.

Going to go with rebounding. Other than Dwight we have no one who is even close to being an elite rebounder.

8. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Outside shooting.

9. Coach E

Coach E Member

Not on the list but...

Coaching

10. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Because they aren't Morey

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm going to say three point shooting. Only because they shoot too many. They grossly over-do the three point shooting.

12. Fantasma Negro

Chemistry