1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Curiosity Grows as NASA Sets Extraterrestrial Search Update

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan17wagner, Nov 30, 2010.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

A seemingly routine press release issued by NASA is causing a serious stir in the blogosphere today with no small amount of hyperventilation about the possibility that scientists may have something to say about the discovery of extraterrestrial life.

A press conference, which will be streamed on NASA TV, is set for Thursday at 2 p.m. EST (1900 GMT) at the agency's headquarters in Washington, D.C. According to NASA, the event will discuss "an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe."

NASA has also brought together a geologist, an oceanographer, a biologist, and an ecologist for a panel discussion at the press conference. That's got peoples' imaginations running wild but props to Kottke.org for doing a bit of online sleuthing into the backgrounds of the invited speakers. They include:

* Geobiologist Pamela Conrad is the primary author of a 2009 paper on geology and life on Mars
    * Oceanographer Felisa Wolfe-Simon has written on photosynthesis using arsenic recently
    * Biologist Steven Benner is part of the "Titan Team" at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory
    * Ecologist James Elser works with a NASA-funded astrobiology program called Follow the Elements

Of course, more than a little skepticism is called for since at this point nobody outside of NASA knows what's on tap for Thursday. Given the advance hype, however, anything less than a cameo by ET will likely come as a disappointment to many. Still, space exploration continues to proceed on a steady pace and so even if it's not the aforesaid blockbuster, the announcement will be worth watching.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20024158-501465.html

1 person likes this.
  2. raj87

raj87 Member

Perhaps they learned how to operate the Stargate?

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A few days ago, they announced that they found oxygen in the atmosphere of Titan. Free oxygen in the atmosphere is so reactive that it has previously been considered to be a sign of life. For instance, they've talked about looking for oxygen spectral lines in extrasolar planets as a potential marker for life. I believe it can exist for "geologically short" periods of time, and of course that can't be ruled out here as we've known about it for a couple of days.

I'm betting it is just going to be an explanation of the significance of the oxygen with very pointed suggestions, and an attempt to rally support for a mission to search Titan for life.

4. liljojo

liljojo Member

You have not enough minerals.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

ET or bust...

6. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A Blade Runner pat on the back for the heads-up. This could be really, really groovy. I hope so. :cool:

8. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Damnit they found me again!

9. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

It was Rhea, not Titan: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/whycassini/cassini20101126.html

Awesome nonetheless! O2:CO2 ratio of 5:2.

I think their announcement won't really be very exciting. It never is (perhaps because exciting to me is OMGALIENS!!!).

10. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

NASA to make Astrobiology announcement

So NASA has an announcement scheduled for tomorrow regarding astrobiology. There's all types of speculation on the net, though I'm pretty sure it won't be anything Earth-shattering. Anyway, I am hoping that its something worth the interest. Maybe evidence leading to strong possibilities of life on Mars or Titan. Whatever happens I feel like we'll continue to make more and more discoveries that eventually find life elsewhere. What do y'all think?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20101201/sc_ac/7316534_what_is_nasas_secret_astrobiology_announcement

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Finding an earthlike planet would be cool, but I'm guessing something less extraordinary.

12. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

There is life on the moon. That's my guess.

13. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I read somewhere that it actually has to do with extremophile life on Earth.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Sam Cassell into hall of fame?

15. Wakko67

16. Wakko67

So after starting a double thread, I'll post here. It looks like the invitees to the conference specialize in astrobiology so more than likely it has to do with that. Maybe they'll announce, a possibility for non water based life.

17. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

19. RainbowPoop

RainbowPoop Rookie

"We found alien bacteria guys"

Honestly, if there was any concrete proof of ETs that would be shocking, the government would make sure not to allow it to get out.

We would probably witness something ourselves to know there are aliens, before our government comes out and tells us.

20. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I guess I'll watch Ancient Aliens on History Channel for my fix tomorrow. Oh well.