1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Culture] American assaults elderly Korean on bus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dback816, Sep 25, 2011.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Edit: Nevermind, I misread the Korean letters.

2. SunsRocketsfan

How embarrassing for Americans. How can that pathetic fool be a teacher? What is he teaching? Ebonics???

1 person likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Wow, the comments on Youtube make it seem like 80 % of Youtube users are racists :O.

But some were actually funny:

• Where's Epic Beard Man when you need him?

[*]Day 1 at korean school:

Announce: Good morning children, we have a new english teacher, all say hello to mister MC J-Dawg McPussyNibler

MC J-Dawg McPussyNibler: Sup dawgs yall rdy to lern some muda****en englsih ? LEtS DO THIS ****

And a nice, more positive article:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2011/09/137_94666.html

'Yeogi Anjeuseyo!'

By Casey Lartigue Jr.

The recent incident in which an American English teacher bullied an elderly Korean man and other passengers on the bus reminded me of a more pleasing incident from years ago.

I was on the subway, taking the train outside of Seoul for a work assignment. I have the habit of standing on the subway to strategically position myself near the doors in case my stop magically appears.

On that particular day, there was a Korean man STARING at me. Not just looking at me, but intensely staring at me.

He had an incredible frown on his face. Not just for one stop, but for several stops the guy just kept staring at me. If I had known more Korean then I would have been able to curse him out or to tell him he had 10 seconds to start looking at something else ― and that I would start counting at nine.

If I had to guess, I would say that he was a farmer, probably in his late 40s or early 50s. He was poorly dressed. He seemed to be headed for a Hollywood casting call for the role of a Korean farmer seeking out a living during the Korean War.

Then, the person next to him stood up to get off the train.

An incredible thing happened.

The frowning farmer began to point at the seat next to him, and was almost shouting at me...

``Yeogi Anjeuseyo! Yeogi Anjeuseyo!"

Even if I had not understood ``sit down” in Korean, his body language made it clear that I had to sit in that seat right then!

No one was trying to claim the seat. I was stunned for a moment but quickly sat. He then had a huge grin on his face, as if he had accomplished something by securing that seat for me. He turned to face me, just looking at me, grinning. Had he saved me from a burning building? Helped me cheat on my taxes? No. He was pointing to a seat that had just been vacated. Perhaps he feared that an ajumma would bump me out of the way and claim the seat.

Sitting there, I was embarrassed that I had been so wrong, and frustrated I could not explain it to him. So there we were sitting, unable to communicate, but with enough good feelings that we could have brought peace to the Korean peninsula all by ourselves.

Then, when it was time for his stop, he stood up, forcefully shook my hand, and said good-bye in Korean. I stood up, not knowing the proper protocol for such a situation, said goodbye to him as we bowed to each other on the subway.

After that day, ``yeogi anjeuseyo" joined ``nunchi," ``ajumma," ``han," ``skinship” and a few other phrases in my lexicon of favorite Korean and Konglish words and phrases. But when I tell Koreans ``yeogi anjeuseyo," I don't just say ``yeogi anjeuseyo." It is more of a command, the type I heard on the subway that day:

``Yeogi Anjeuseyo! Yeogi Anjeuseyo!"

Of course, Koreans advise me not to say it so forcefully. I agree with them, promising not to do so again. But I do.

Casey Lartigue, Jr., is director of International Relations at the Center for Free Enterprise in Seoul. He can be reached at cjl@cfe.org.

4. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The Tea party has made it OK to be racist again.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

7. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Try the Asian/Indian teachers at HCC, at least devry had teachers speaking fluent english.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think the misunderstanding occurred when the American chap said "Ni Hao Ma" in error.

(does anyone remember this thread?)

9. SunsRocketsfan

You are totally missing the point. Were the Asian/Indian teachers behaving like an uncivilized ignorant idiot? No I think not.

Also I still LOL at Devry.

10. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Were you taking a math class?

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

More embarrassing for black people.
    There are a handful of idiots in every race that just screw everything up.

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

you sir are correct

13. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Oh you didn't know? That is Jordan Hill.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

At least everyone else in that bus showed unity... in not helping out.

15. chonox

chonox Member

Am I the only one who doesn't know what "YOU SEE THESE ROCKS?" means? :confused:

16. droxford

droxford Member

You're not alone. I'm at work and something tells me I shouldn't Google it.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Culture clashes around the world, it is just getting smaller...

DD

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a-21pZfzeGI?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's the first thing that popped into my head after seeing this video - the tea party.

20. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

i mean i distinctly heard the korean lady say "yu maad bro" so i mean his actions were clearly justified...

2 people like this.