1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Culpepper tells Vikings to trade or release him - Could Carr go to Minnesota?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mrgoubople1, Mar 8, 2006.

1. mrgoubople1

mrgoubople1 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...B?slug=ap-vikings-culpepper&prov=ap&type=lgns

Culpepper tells Vikings to trade him or release him

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, AP Sports Writer
    March 8, 2006

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Daunte Culpepper's shaky relationship with the Minnesota Vikings deteriorated further on Wednesday when the quarterback said he wants to be released if the team fails to trade him.

"If a trade does not happen then I am asking the Vikings to terminate my contract as soon as possible," Culpepper said in an e-mail to reporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Yes No
    Yes No

Yes No

Culpepper said he had asked the Vikings if he could speak to interested teams on his own behalf. He said Minnesota denied his request.

He said he appreciated that the team's new owner, Zygi Wilf, was willing to pay him a $6 million bonus due later this month.

"However, because of the fundamental differences I have with management regarding the approach to my personal and professional life, I think it is the best business decision for both parties to go our separate ways," Culpepper said.

He softened his message slightly by saying that if the team didn't honor his request, "then I intend to fulfill my contractual obligations to the Minnesota Vikings."

In a brief phone interview with The Associated Press, Culpepper said he had been angered by a recent e-mail he received from the team. He didn't elaborate on the contents of the e-mail.

A Vikings spokesman didn't immediately return a phone call.

Culpepper's status with the team has been in question ever since a boat party scandal on Lake Minnetonka in September. He was charged with several misdemeanors for lewd conduct; Culpepper has said he is innocent and will fight the allegations in court.

Further complicating Culpepper's situation is his continued recovery from a devastating knee injury. Culpepper missed most of last season after tearing three ligaments in his right knee during an Oct. 30 game against Carolina, calling into question whether he will be ready for the start of the 2006 season.

Even before the injury, Culpepper was having one of his worst seasons as a pro.

He threw twice as many interceptions (12) as he did touchdowns (six) during the Vikings' 2-5 start. After he went down with the injury, backup Brad Johnson guided the Vikings to six straight wins, though that was due as much to an improved defense as it was Johnson's play.

Culpepper let his longtime agent, Mason Ashe, go in the offseason. He has been representing himself since then, saying he wanted to be more involved in his financial affairs, and has issued several statements to the media conveying his general unhappiness with the organization.

Culpepper signed a 10-year, $102 million contract in 2003, but much of that money was not guaranteed. He restructured his contract during training camp last season to give him nearly $8 million more in guaranteed money, but the quarterback has not been a steady presence with the team during its coaching change.

Owner Zygi Wilf fired Mike Tice after the last game of the season and replaced him with Philadelphia offensive coordinator Brad Childress.

During his introductory news conference, Childress proclaimed Culpepper the starter, though he acknowledged at the NFL combine that the team had received inquiries about his availability.

Childress said then that he hoped to have both Culpepper and Johnson on the team this season.

"That's the mind-set," Childress said. "I don't know anything to the contrary."

AP Sports Writer Dave Campbell contributed to this report.

2. tested911

tested911 Member

I wouldnt mind a Carr for Culpepper swap :)

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Hell yeah. I'm down. They can have one of our extra 3rd's to boot.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'm sure the Vikes would love to have Carr's sorry a$$.

5. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Jeez...here we go...another "Trade David Carr"? thread.

This just in...

GET OVER IT. DAVID CARR WILL BE A TEXAN THIS SEASON.

:cool:

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Sorry, I would rather have Carr.

7. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

I would trade Carr for Culpepper. You would then have Bush Culpepper and AJ as your big three. Wow

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

did you really just say that? :)

9. Summer Song Giver

Ooooohhhhhhhhh

Make it happen

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Me too.....

11. MadMax

seriously???

you may THINK Carr will be a great QB. but we haven't seen him do it yet.

Culpepper has already done it! He's been a legit Pro Bowl QB.

12. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Shooot I would trade Carr/ ect. for Dunta

13. mrgoubople1

mrgoubople1 Member

vikings release culpepper, we trade carr for something, draft vince.. haha this is gonna piss people off because its so redundant

14. Anticope

Anticope Member

keep dreaming

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

So I guess the Vikings are in the mix for a new QB as well.

Carr for Culpepper would be very interesting, but I would be very worried about his knee, add that with his age, and you potentially be losing quite a bit. Conversely, he could be completely healthy and do what he does.

I wonder if the Vikings would be interested in a Carr for Williamson deal? :)

Draft VY and Winston, trade for Williamson. That would be pretty exciting IMO.

16. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

I agree....IMO Culpepper is a huge risk at this point. He was horrible last year at the begining of the season...Brad Johnson out played him when he went down. :eek: Brad FREAKING Johnson. He's not the same QB he was without Moss, and probably won't be with AJ. I'd rather have Carr with an improved line, AJ, Bush, DD, a new TE.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Culpepper's worst season (this year) is about the same as Carr's career QB rating.

18. MadMax

that's exactly right. it's not even close.

if you have injury concerns, that's one thing. but if you're talking about pure performance...one guy has done it and the other hasn't.

19. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Culpepper has the best parties. :D

But really though, the Texan's good Christian soldiers aren't going to move squeaky clean Carr for Daunte's inferno.

20. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

Peyton Manning would have the same stats as Carr if he had to suffer behind the line Carr has been behind. It's hard to compare a expansion QB to one that comes into an established team with superstars already on it. Carr has had absolutely nobody to get the ball to.