1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CSN Houston files for Chapter 11

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Sep 27, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>CSNH hearing in recess. Back this afternoon.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/statuses/394875576344780800">October 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. conquistador#11

i keep thinking david barron is george costanza when I look at those tweets..carry on..

3. dragician

dragician Member

Can somebody advise Crane to follow Ken Lay's footsteps?

1 person likes this.
  4. Drunk_Goat

Drunk_Goat Member

why can't they put a clutch fan on the witness stand and have them ask us how much we hate this whole situation. I dont know how much longer I can keep watching the Rockets on a illegal streaming site in terrible quality.

I WANT THE TRUTH!!!!! Jim Crane, did you order the code red?!

5. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

7. thething

thething Contributing Member

Do we get to watch the Dallas game on Friday on FSN or is it getting blacked out?

8. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

I'm sure it'll be blacked out. I'm in southeast texas and the only games I get are Hornets games

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

dfbarron: Judge Isgur says he may enter an order Tuesday that would allow Astros and Rockets to look for a better TV deal.

dfbarron: That means they might be able to consult with Fox or DirecTV to see if they can get a better deal than with Comcast/NBC.

dfbarron: Comcast had no immediate comment on the judge's comments, which came shortly before the hearing adjourned shortly before 10 p.m.

dfbarron: Hearing resumes at 2 p.m. Tuesday, and closing arguments may not take place until Nov. 4 or 5.

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Judge tells Astros, Rockets other networks could be answer
    http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/...stros-rockets-other-networks-could-be-answer/

Monday, October 28, 2013

While the Comcast SportsNet Houston bankruptcy case remains unresolved, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Marvin Isgur on Monday night said he is considering an order allowing the Rockets and Astros to negotiate with other parties to see if another network model with another partner — including Fox — could make a Houston network profitable.

The judge’s pronouncement was an unexpected climax to an 11-hour hearing that mixed well-known aspects of the CSN Houston bankruptcy case with previously undisclosed material.
    One revelation — Astros owner Jim Crane’s disclosure that he talked with Fox executives earlier this year about returning Astros broadcasts to Fox Sports Net — in fact prompted Isgur’s suggestion.

Isgur said he would wait until Tuesday to consider whether to issue an order that would allow the Astros and Rockets — without fear of interference from Comcast/NBC, which owns 22 percent of CSN Houston — to explore other network options for their respective games.

Goal: ‘plan that works’

“I’m not hearing the Astros say anything but that they want a business plan that works,” Isgur said. “I’m not punishing them for wanting a business plan that works. I want a business plan that works, and the best way is for the Astros to investigate what kind of business plan works.

“Until he (Crane) can fully investigate without fear of reprisal, we’re not going to know.”

Isgur also warned the Astros, however, that their interests in CSN Houston may be best served in bankruptcy court. He said he had not heard any testimony about Comcast’s conduct in running the network that offended him and added, “We have a failure of the business. … Maybe we need to move ahead by letting the parties strike out on their own.”

None of the parties had immediate comment on Isgur’s suggestion.

Earlier Monday, the Rockets joined four Comcast affiliates as petitioning creditors.

Monday’s hearing was to hear testimony on the Astros’ motion to dismiss an involuntary Chapter 11 petition filed Sept. 27 against the parent company of CSN Houston, which is owned by the Astros, Rockets and Comcast/NBC. Testimony will continue Tuesday on that topic and on CSN’s motion to name an interim trustee, and arguments in the case may continue into next month.

Crane contacts Fox

A major early revelation Monday was Crane’s testimony that he contacted News Corp. executive Chase Carey earlier this year about returning Astros games to FS Southwest in the wake of CSN Houston’s carriage difficulties.

Isgur asked Crane if he could make money by getting out of his contract with Comcast and running the network himself or with another partner, and he responded, “I’m in the overnight business. … I think we could get something done.”

Crane and former Astros and Crane Capital executive Margaret Barradas also testified regarding a heretofore unreported recommendation in April by Comcast and the NBC Sports Group that the network accept a carriage agreement from DirecTV.

Both said the Astros opposed the deal because it would not have generated enough income to make the network profitable and would have locked the Astros into a long-term deal that they said would eventually have cost the team its equity stake in CSN Houston.

They said even with income from DirecTV and other carriers who may have fallen in line, the network still would lose at least $200 million over a 10-year period.

Much of the discussion about CSN Houston financial details concerned documents that were not shown to the courtroom audience because of Comcast’s insistence they remain confidential.

11. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Yeeeeessssss! Now hopefully I can see my Rockets on my tv screen without me hoping that a stream wont lag or cut out!

12. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Doesn't sound like it would be anytime soon though unless the Rockets had a handshake deal under the table with another network, which I doubt.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

14. Manos

Manos Member

I hope this thing goes through and they move back to Fox SouthWest.

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Isgur asked Crane if he could make money by getting out of his contract with Comcast and running the network himself or with another partner, and he responded, “I’m in the overnight business. … I think we could get something done.”

What does this mean?

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think that means he could get a deal for broadcast rights done elsewhere pretty quickly (ie FSN). But I suppose it could also mean eliminating Comcast from the equation and possibly bringing in someone else to essentially take over operations as they exist now at CSN (and obviously rebranding it)?

17. NateNate

NateNate Member

If the Rockets move back to Fox does CSN totally shut down here? They are 10X better than FSN so that would be a bummer

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Crane has been in the air freight business for a very long time.

19. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

It seems like Les would have all options covered at this point and be ready to move back to Fox Sports on short notice.

It doesn't look like CSN Houston can survive without both the Rockets and Astros

20. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

Darn it i'm ready to get comcast or dish or whatever I need so that I can watch the Rockets. Just come to a decision already!!!