1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crying for a Horse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wnes, May 25, 2006.

1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Crying for a Horse

http://www.lewrockwell.com/brennan/brennan11.html

May 23, 2006
    by Mark G. Brennan

For those of us who are not avid horse racing fans, this weekend effectively ended our interest in the sport until next year. Until this past Saturday there still existed the potential for a Triple Crown winner. Unfortunately the tragic injury befalling Barbaro at the Preakness Stakes erased that possibility. Now the nation waits with bated breath to find out if Barbaro will even survive his broken ankle. For horse racing fanatics like Judi Hunt of Aberdeen, Washington, who has listened to or seen each and every Triple Crown race since 1948, the reaction was as expected. The New York Times reported Ms. Hunt as saying, "I cried yesterday when the horse came up lame. I just want to know how the horse is going to do." Such empathy and pity are both predictable and natural in such a heartrending circumstance. However if Americans cared as much about people as they do about horses, Sunday night’s presentation of the HBO documentary Baghdad ER might have actually awoken the somnolent majority of our citizenry who are as indifferent to the carnage in Iraq as they are to tax rates in Tanzania.

Sunday night’s premiere of Baghdad ER brought the horror of an American medical hospital in Iraq’s Green Zone into full view and perfect focus. Unlike countless episodes of MASH, the only humor was gallows humor and the laughs, when they occurred, were so obviously forced that they seemed to be the only way to fight back tears. Doctors and soldiers in the film reflect on the gut-wrenching misery usually with Tourette-like cursing but, more frequently, depressed resignation. These heroic medical personnel never become inured to the missing limbs, burned skin, and mangled corpses that are the raw materials of their production line. No sane human being ever could. Instead we get a vivid portrait of the only Americans who have seen the unspeakable carnage up close and way too personally. These are also the most credible Americans who seem to be taking a vocal stand on the mounting casualties as they futilely rush about like the Dutch boy trying to plug the dike.

Perhaps HBO’s film will open the eyes of the apathetic voting public. But since the film does not include any information on how to get rich in real estate, lose weight, or buy cheap gas, it probably won’t. And since none of the wounded or killed American soldiers hails from Great Neck, Grosse Point, or Glendale, "elite" opinion will remain dormant. Whether that opinion is of the "Stay the course (as long as my kid does not have to miss a semester or two at Yale)" variety best represented by your typical Republican suburbanite, or of the "I am angrily marching in protest of ‘No Blood for Oil’ this weekend (but not next weekend since I have to chaperone Tyler’s class trip to the organic farm on Saturday)" variety espoused by liberals on both coasts, no one but the doctors in the American military hospital in Baghdad seems bold enough to speak up for the injured piling up unnoticed like dust bunnies under a bed.

If you do in fact watch the documentary, and every American should watch its replay on Memorial Day regardless of his position on the American occupation of Iraq, the scenes of injury and suffering are more graphic than words can explain. Limbs dangling from tendons, open torsos filled with shrapnel and the dazed stares of shell-shocked soldier, all shove the horrors of war into our untroubled living rooms. Watching a nurse mop up a blood-covered a floor or cataloging a body part in a jar would (should?) provide even the most ardent supporters of our occupation with reason to pause. And in their pause they should ask themselves: Why am I not over there fighting this fight which I so stridently insist must be fought? Is this occupation really worth losing an arm, both arms, both legs, or both legs and an arm (as in fact happens to one of the soldiers in the film)? If red-blooded Americans from small rural towns I have never heard of are sacrificing life and limb so that the Boca Raton Little League can play its games free from terrorists and the shoppers of Bethesda can pile up debt, shouldn’t I or my progeny either take a role in fighting or, conversely, work to stop the unnecessary slaughter?

Alas, such questions will never get a fair hearing from those most in need of such introspection. Instead, remote controls will instantaneously remove any bloody images from our 54-inch flat screens should they too closely resemble the half-eaten, extra-large, Domino’s pepperoni pizza sitting on our laps. In a recent interview, one of the film’s co-creators Jon Alpert said, "We're giving you the veneer of the violence. But it's much, much worse than we portrayed it. We just didn't think that an audience would tolerate that." If Mr. Alpert could predict the stock market as well as he can predict Americans’ tolerance for carnage, he would be richer than Warren Buffett. Let’s hope that he kept the more brutal scenes for history’s sake; even though we as a society rarely take the time to do a cost-benefit analysis of war, the evidence on the cost side keeps piling up while the benefits remain illusory. Maybe Saddam was in fact going to nuke me, my wife, our two cats, and the dry cleaners across the street. And maybe monkeys will fly out of my… In either case, he is now behind bars while suicidal maniacs with I.E.D.’s strapped to their chests are killing Americans whose kids are not benefiting from the services of $500 per hour SAT tutors or figuring out how to redeem their American Express Platinum Membership Rewards Point so that they can attend the ESPN Golf School with a "focus on the importance of swing mechanics, club control, and body behavior." One can safely assume that ESPN has made no special provision for any military amputees in attendance who might need special instruction in "chipping with one arm" or "putting while blind" since Iraq reminds the intended customer base of little more than the unraked sand trap on the 15th hole at their country club. At this point a complimentary invitation to even a handful of the 17,000+ wounded American soldiers would be a welcome statement of thanks as we approach Memorial Day, but in reality it remains just a wish.

We have reached a deplorable state where an injured horse elicits a stronger response than a dead or maimed fellow American. Recall for a moment the soldier cited in the film who lost both legs and an arm. He won’t ever again ride a bike as he did as an energetic young boy. He won’t be able to take leisurely evening strolls with his wife. He won’t be able to practice tackling or jump shooting with his son. And he won’t be able to walk his daughter down the aisle on the most important day of her life as he "hands" her off to the man of her dreams. But in this case the dream our future bride will live with will be a nightmare – seeing her father suffer and struggle while remembering that her fellow Americans cried for a horse.

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I have no problem liking horses more than people.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I understand what the author is trying to say but this article drips with propaganda and overstatement. Not every American has a 54 inch flat screen TV and spends $500 on SAT tutors.

He acts like everyone is behind Bush and has this glorious American Dream existance. On the contrary, our government as a whole, not just Bush, has some of the lowest approval ratings ever and the gap between the classes just seems to grow. I feel the vast majority of Americans want us out of Iraq but exactly how are we supposed to do that? He b****es about how horrible we are going to Tyler's organic farm trip but offers no solution. How are we supposed to just pull out right now? It isn't like we can put a gun to Dumb Dumb's head and make him start pulling the troops out.

Hopefully we can have a massive overhaul of Congress during the upcoming midterms and we can start seeing some change. Unfortunately, it will be a slooooooow process that I guesstimate will take about a decade to complete. And that's only if we have decent people running the show.

Honestly, I couldn't care less if they were Republicans or Democrats, just as long as there is positive change in our government. It's a shame that I feel like anyone in office (executive or legislative) is a crook and most likely trying to screw us. How wonderful it would be to have a leader that actually inspires and leads.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very nice post, MB. I'll add that there are very honest and hard-working members of government, in all levels, but they aren't currently in positions of power. The influence they have, and they have some, tends to be in the background, and doesn't get the publicity the more flamboyant, and often corrupt (in one way or another... not always legally, but corrupt and morally bankrupt, IMO), elected officials have.

Keep D&D Civil.

5. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Nice post. It is a shame that when I think of Washington DC, I imagine a super fund site that desperately needs to be cleaned up. All I ask for is honest, responsible leadership that serves all Americans, not just those who can pay for your ear. If our society needs wars to maintain how we live (oil), then we should change the way we live instead of spreading carnage.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is it with the word "somnolent" and "somnolence" here lately? I'm seeing it a lot in print. Is this the new buzz word for writers and pseudointellectuals? It has become annoying.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I haven't used it, but damn, I'm getting sleepy. :eek:

Keep D&D Civil.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

his column is about the elite class as I understood. that's why he references horse racing, its a sport for the rich. he attacks both elite republicans who support the war and don't send their kids and elite democrats who don't support the war but don't do anything in definace.

9. Master Baiter

If that is the case, it seems that all he was doing was b****ing. I figure most of us already know that the elite suck.

When he speaks of suburn America, I feel like he was talking to me and the people I live next door too. Of course I know the Tylers and all about soccer practice and field trips. My kids do that too. I guess I just felt like he was talking to all Americans, not just the elite.

Regardless, I feel like he was trying to stir emotions and beat the "America Sucks" drum. It didn't feel like it was genuine to me. If he was so moved by the HBO special and wants change as much as he does, why is he busy writing that article instead of protesting or fighting? Obiviously that is what he asks of his readers. We, as Americans, shouldn't enjoy time with our kids or anything else (horse racing, TV's, etc.) because we should be too busy protesting. But it's ok for him to persue his American Dream of being a successful writer.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

from your response I felt you took it personally, which you really shouldn't. but honestly, if americans weren't so apathetic to what our politicians do, we probably wouldn't be in Iraq.

and that includes myself. I b****ed and complained on this site but I didn't do anything real. something as simple as writing my congressman.

11. Master Baiter

I do not disagree with that. It's not like I'm doing anything either.

12. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

How much can be expected out of the individual? Will writing a corrupt congressman do any good? Call me a skeptic.

I personally always vote. I even try to make all the "little" elections. I am also attempting to lower my energy signature, but that is easier said then done. There are many things that are largely outside the realm of what one person can change. America is where it is based on some decisions that were made decades ago, like building our society around the car instead of mass transit. How about how trucking has replaced trains. How about cities with multiple business districts instead of a central core which messes up planning mass transit. Is the situation in Iraq directly associated with our societies need for oil? If so, then is that why subconsciously we turn a blind eye or are we generally apathetic because we feel helpless to make a change. Outside of massive protests on the White House lawn, I don't see our society making any sweeping overhauls anytime soon. And what would it take to get massive protests from suburban Americans on the White House lawn?

13. Master Baiter

That I completely agree with.

14. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I don't know what percentage of American households subscribe to premium movie channels such as HBO. Those who do won't necessarily choose to watch it. In fact, I missed the opener. There is nothing like a documentary film that brings the cruel reality in other parts of the world to the comfort of your living room. Unfortunately the rigid FCC regulations don't allow it to be shown on open air, and most of us would just go on with our lives nonchalantly.

15. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

sounds like pure horse**** to me.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We take HBO and plan to watch it. We have "on demand," so we'll do it when we're in the properly depressed mood. :(

Keep D&D Civil.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

apathetic may have been the wrong word especially going into iraq. we forget that we were sold for the case for the war. but I do believe america in general really don't care or at least don't care to be informed about what's going on there. bush's approval ratings have dropped, but it has a lot more to do with recent events I believe.

I don't know, of course it would be hard for one person to make a difference, but the article isn't about one person. if 20% of voters in each district wrote their congressman, that would make a difference. but unfortuantely we as americans when we get home from work, rightly or wrongly, we go about our lives as if nothing else is going on in the world. we are comfortable. I think this editorial goes a lot deeper than what we do about iraq. its about the complancency of this country.

its like in "devil's advocate" when al pacino goes off on how we've all become masters of our own little universes. that was about religion but it could be what this guy is writing about also.

your post was very unamerican btw. :) but seriously generations before us didn't have this attitude, partly because they had so much to improve financially and socially.