1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Croshere to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CompaqC, Feb 18, 2001.

1. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

I know bskball.com is not the most dependable rumor website, just posting this for what it's worth.

http://www.bskball.com/Rumors.htm

INDIANA- The Pacers don't have anything they can trade. There has been enormous interest in Jermaine O'Neal, but they won't deal him. Al Harrington's agent has been at the team to consider moving him. The team has said a few times they won't back away from a deal that improved the team, but they didn't see a deal like that being available.There has been talk that Austin Croshere may get dealt in the offseason to Houston (he's preferred spot this past summer). Overall the Pacers are where they expected to be. The wild rumor of the week has been Indiana trading Reggie Miller to a contending team. First and foremost- it isn't happening. 2nd, Reggie is Base Year, so anything involving him would not return value. Pacers sources admits that Reggie may not see the end of his new contract in Indiana, but the team was not actively shopping or listening to offers on Reggie.

Do you think the Rockets are still interested and should they make a push for him if it's possible.

I personally think Austin would fit great over here playing the 3. That guy's got POTENTIAL!

------------------
    Dream
    Rejects
    Every
    Attempt
    Made

2. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Rudy loves Croshere, and I think he'd be great for this team, but as a 6th man off the bench type. I think his strengths fit many of the Rockets' needs perfectly.
    Question, though. Croshere is Full BYC like Cato, which makes them extremely hard to trade. When does Croshere come off BYC? When does Cato, for that matter?

------------------

3. haven

haven Member

I admit I was on the Croshere band wagon this summer, but he hasn't played particularly well this year... at least compared to what the expectations were. He'd be a decent energy sixth man guy... but probably not too much else. I think that Larry Bird's retirement really hurt him; Croshere has great instincts, but inferior physical skills. With the right coach, I think he could be a viable starter. I wouldn't gamble on his salary that Rudy T is the man though.

------------------
    Shandon Anderson rocks.
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

4. Relativist

I agree he's not worth his contract. If we were to get Croshere, we'd have to dump somebody else's contract at the same time. Still, salary beside, I think he could contribute a lot to the Rockets.

------------------

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

No, Croshere isn't worth his contract. But his level of play has been off and on this year because he pushed too hard at the beginning of the season, wanting to live up to that contract; and he's on a team that has shuffled its lineups far too often, struggling 1) for an identity and 2) to make its players happy (practically impossible with its mix of veterans and newbies).

Apparently, Croshere wanted to sign here but took the serious cha-ching! instead. If he wants to be here, what do we have that Indiana needs? Would they take Cato?

Imagine Steve, Cat, Shandon, Dream?/Mo?, and Croshere on the same team. That would be hell of an inducement for Webber to come here.

------------------

6. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Can someone please explain to me what a BYC player is and how it's possible to trade for them?

Nothing on RealGM works for Croshere because he's a BYC player.

Anyone?

Thanks!

------------------
    Dream
    Rejects
    Every
    Attempt
    Made

[This message has been edited by CompaqC (edited February 18, 2001).]

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I posted this separately because I wanted this QUESTION to be noticed by CAPOLOGISTS:

I know how difficult it is to trade BYC players. Someone asked in this thread about when Cato and Croshere lose their BYC status.

These two players make virtually the same $$$: $5.298 for Croshere; $5.33 for Cato. Indiana can move Croshere and receive $2.65 mil in return; and Houston can receive $2.66 in return for Cato.

Can we not trade these players straight up? Does the incoming player count for his full salary? In other words, Cato would count for $5.3 if Indiana took him, and so wouldn't work under the salary cap?

I know this has probably been explained a million times, but reading the CBA makes my eyes glaze over, and is written in such legalese....

------------------

8. Relativist

If you trade a BYC player, you have to find someone who is able to take on salary (i.e. - has cap space or a trade exception) Cato is worth 5.33 million. BUT we can only get half of that or 2.66 in return, which means that whoever takes Cato would have to take on $5.33 million in salary but would only be able to send us $2.66 million. This is called 'trading up' in salary. Teams over the cap can't trade up unless they have trade exceptions that cover the amount. Since the Rockets and the Pacers are both over the cap, neither are in a position to take on salary, so even trading one of the BYC players would be impossible without involving a team with cap space (Chicago or the Clippers).
    I hope this makes sense. I'm no capologist; someone can correct me if I'm off.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Relativist (edited February 18, 2001).]

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm pretty sure that this off-season we'll be under the salary-cap, which may well mean that we'd be able to take on Croshere's contract.
    At some stage during the off-season he'll become partial BYC (as will Cato) which means that the team trading the player can take back 75% of their salary in return.

Unfortunately Croshere HAS got a monster contract and I'd be more inclined to re-sign Anderson and Taylor then take him on.

------------------

10. Valio!

Valio! Member

Yeah...not sure Croshere would be worth it...though, then again, he did stuff a ball back in Shaq's face in today's game...gotta love that.

------------------
    "Weathermen are simply con-artists with radar equipment. A 50 percent chance of rain? That's the same as saying 'maybe, maybe not.' I could tell you that!" - P. Mesku

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Thanks but no thank you. He makes too much money and is playing awful this year. I'd take my chances with Webber and look for a 3 in the draft.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

12. kubli

kubli Member

Croshere? Please no.

------------------

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would take him over Cato...ANYDAY !!!

Croshere is a versitle player who is being used incorrectly by Iwannabe-acoach Thomas.

At the very least he is playing more then 1 game every 20.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from monkeys and apes, then why are there still monkeys and apes?

14. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

Croshere is a player that the Rockets can use. Croshere give a lot of hustle.

He dosen't have the skills other players have, but he more than makes up for it with effort.

Really that's all that Rudy wants from his players. He want's guys who go all out for the team.

The players who have gotten on Rudy's bad side are players who give up. Croshere doesn't give up by what I've see.

But, let's not stress the issue. Croshere went after the money. Therefore, he must lie in his mess.

Rudy would have made Croshere a player. But now are the Rockets willing to rescue Croshere from the Pacer situation?

------------------

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Here is Croshere's salary over the next several years.

00/01: $5,298,701
    01/02: $5,961,039
    02/03: $6,623,377
    03/04: $7,285,714
    04/05: $7,948,052
    05/06: $8,610,390
    06/07: $9,272,727

I would only do this deal if we could also lose Cato's contract in the process.

------------------

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

MAN
    I don't think I would want Croshere's
    contract

Rocket River

------------------

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dang River,

You must be rich...I will take Croshere's contract.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from monkeys and apes, then why are there still monkeys and apes?

18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

19. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Croshere fits the Rockets offense perfectly. He can hit the outside shot and score in the low post. He also can rebound. Cato for Croshere in a heartbeat.

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

20. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Quit fibbing Finn... Croshere can't do any of those things. [​IMG]

------------------
    Good night everyone, Canadian or American. Just remember that we're all bound together by basketball, the internet and the mullet.

(My attempts at trying to sooth over an international incident).