1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're separating. You want an African American history course. Malcom X is a footnote. MLK's legacy lasts because history words are true to my existance

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If he wants mlk to be a founding father it's either stupidity or insecurity.. He can defend himself

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And it's primary education. It's about basics and foundation. . It's public school. Certain things take priority.

It's not as if the suffering blacks endured is dismissed

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

So shouldn't we be teaching about Henry Dalton, rather than Daniel Hale Williams?
    What is the criteria for an important event?
    Red Lining is a subspecies of discrimination. Racism and discrimination is covered substantially in the curriculum. Slavery and emancipation, reconstruction, Jim Crow, the Civil Rights Act, and Martin Luther King are the big topics along that path. Malcom X was certainly covered when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s, mostly in a compare and contrast way with King. The Tuskegee experiment was covered in my school, and it probably shouldn't be (less than 400 people were affected). We always got the black inventor hits during black history month (especially George Washington Carver).
    Are they? What significant role did the Tuskegee experiment play in the development of the United States and the way things are today? Several hundred men were lied to and given placebo instead of syphilis treatments. It was terrible. It was essentially the murder of hundreds of people. It is rather small in scale though.

Learning about inventors always seemed like a bit of a waste of time to me. Who cares who invented the radio or the light bulb or the traffic signal. Who cares who did the first heart surgery (or the 10th, or improved on it)? Same with historic leaders. Does it matter that Hannibal led troops across the Alps to attack Rome in Italy? Why? Would your understanding of the world be different if you just learned that Carthage fought a long and ultimately fruitless war against Rome before they were destroyed, even if you didn't know the name of their best general?
    The only musicians I learned about in school were Beethoven, Mozart, and Francis Scott Key.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Says the guy that says "America is a white country." the irony lol.

I mentioned MLK because you, once again, were talking about black people silly. Yes, MLK Jr had as much of an impact on this country as any of the founding fathers, in fact, MLK Jr's impact on civil rights was global. So yes, he may as well be a founding father.

I like how you didn't address the point, America is relatively VERY young as a country, future historians won't look at it and go "Oh, only the first 50 years of the country count!" that's not how it works. MLK Jr's ideas completely changed the outlook of this country. This idea isn't new, plenty of historians already consider him a founding father, I'm not bringing up some revolutionary idea here...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

These attempts at intelligent dialogue with pgabs are really funny.

having raised two kids, this reminds me of that time I tried to teach my kids about evolution when they were 3, had too much sugar from a birthday party, and missed their nap.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes absolutely. In addition to Williams.
    Redlining is more than just a subset of racism. It helps show systemic racism was a factor and impacted generations afterward.

Tuskegee is incredibly significant because it is a poignant example of what a government can and will do to some of its citizens if racism is allowed to run rampant. It spanned for decades. It is a perfect example of how decriminalization can be used even in a democracy.

The reason why other inventors should be covered such as Lewis Latimer, is to correct common misconceptions of the past due in part to racism.

There are many levels of history and lessons there.

The very fact that Malcolm X was taught as a contrast to MLK is part of the problem. They weren't opponents. They were on the same side.

Malcolm X had his own significant contribution to the Civil rights movement. Technically "By any means necessary" doesn't even mean to use violence. It only says that it is a way if necessary.

The Oklahoma massacre should also be taught.

You mentioned musicians. I'm including that as part of the historical and continuing culture from the United States that has long been an influence in the world.

All of these things together paint a more accurate and balanced picture of contributions, trials, tribulations, of our nation's history.

StupidMoniker likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It is exactly as if it is minimalized and white-washed.

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Not what I've advocated at all. I'm simply just talking about general history. That includes information about topics I've discussed as well.

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I have an issue that academic excellence and equity are presented as being at odds.

I believe equity is just a better way to teach and assess the same standards that lead to academic excellence.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What you're advocating is making teachers work more and kids work more to make black kids feel good. Not understand history more. Knowing Malcolm X isn't crucial isn't crucial to understanding of what history class is for. That's extra

Then your dumbest logic says knowing Malcolm X is as necessary as Lincoln. Please don't give some dumbest justification for placing the same priority on knowing both

To help kids doing this worst, the kids we're talking about don't know George Washington

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How can slavery be minimized. What kid of the actual ones listening think, slavery, what's the big deal

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The country was founded by whites, the history is mostly white. Ok. The explanation for Blacks being here is taught. The struggle for Civil Rights. That's all primary education is responsible to teach.

Black folks want to teach black kids more blackness, no one is stopping us.

All the other stuff mentioned here, I learned from black people

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It can be minimized when only mentioned. As starting and ending. A bit more depth and impact is needed.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Your claim has already shown to be false. Why do you feel the 5000-8000 people who fought for the colonies in the revolutionary War should be minimalized or ignored. They were an important part.

Why do you think the nearly one out of every three cowboys should have their contribution overlooked during the nation's Westward expansion?

Why do you feel people that faced hardships but overcame them to establish thriving businesses and prejudice formed a thriving community should be ignored?

Why do you think that it should be ignored that a white mob some deputized by and armed by the government killed an estimated 300 people and destroyed their businesses and hard work should be minimized?

These are all important things to learn. Sadly, because you didn't learn them, you believe they aren't important. ALL students should learn these things not just children of one race.

JayGoogle likes this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You have the grasp of American History that a person born, raised and educated in another country that may not have the firmest mastery of English as their second language would possess.

Our children can do better.

Сделать лучше.

JayGoogle likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because i think it doesn't belong in primary school history class doesn't mean I think it should be ignored. History class doesn't say only whites fought in the Revolution. It doesn't make any qualifications like that.

What extra perspective does Tulsa give on what history class teaches about Black people's struggles. Does it not teach about the threats of violence Blacks faced when teaching about Jim Crow?

Don't comment on wtf I learned again. You don't know me. I told you a learned a lot of this from black institutions.

It's not public school's responsibility to fix White racist homes or Black broken home. It is their job to teach basics and fundamentals and lay a foundation

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This isn't the job of public school. It has a hard enough time teaching what's necessary

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I understand why people feel Tulsa she be taught and I understand people don't understand the purpose of history class

Tulsa was a one time event in Oklahoma. There is plenty of white terror in American history but at the end of the day day history's focus is on why things are the way they are now. Tulsa affects people in Tulsa and those blacks rebuilt.

Texas history class doesn't even teach about The Galveston 1900 Hurricane, largest natural disaster in history.

@FranchiseBlade

The Civil Rights lesson in school starts with Rosa Parks. She is recognized because of the movement leading to Civil Rights. On Daniel Hale Williams, what medical accomplishments are taught in school. I think maybe some vaccines because we all need them

Making the car affordable changed the world especiallythe spacious USofA. The Irishman

#1360 pgabriel, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022