1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thanks for letting me know you don't now WTF you are talking about and are driving an agenda.

Who are they?

Texas trains on SEL are they trying to condition kids on CRT?

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's total B.S. it's an interpretation of sharecropping and white people were sharecroppers as well.

Most of history that is taught in grade school is glossed over but sharecropping and reconstruction are in the TEKS which have to be covered and tested on.

Just because you were not taught this in college does not mean it's not taught, blame the teacher and not try and create some kind of conspiracy.

3. RocktheCasbah

RocktheCasbah Member

It's like you didn't even watch the video. Again granted it's lengthy but I timestamped it for you and again sharecropping is not the type of slavery that is being addressed in the videos. The type addressed is when having actual militia soldiers from the North post-Civil War in the South were ordered to go home leaving unchecked slavery in Southern states that persisted well into the 1940s. How policies like black codes were enforced largely against freed black people and given bunk charges to issue fines that would be levied as debt paid through forced labor that largely resembled slavery, and decades later, in the 1940s, was deemed as such. Again, it's like you didn't even get through half of it much less the tail end of it all which to be fair, is your call, but it makes your criticisms rather vapid since you're left looking like you don't know what you're talking about.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Circular_No._3591#:~:text=3591-,Circular No.,involuntary servitude, slavery and peonage.

The second part is projection. Where did I say it was a conspiracy? I'm detailing what I remember from my education and how little any of this was really emphasized. I went to private Catholic schools up until college. They didn't focus their history lessons on this. This is not something to debate. It's an anecdotal experience shared where I recall how more emphasis on state's rights was placed in my history lessons than the lives of black people in America post-Civil War.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/2387477/alfred-irving-held-in-slavery/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1263 RocktheCasbah, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
  4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I imagine they could start to implement it over the course of the last 40-50 years.
    They are. That is what all these bans on CRT are about.
    Actually, it is pretty well grounded. That is why you see several educators online talking about having been trained in this framework, as well as materials from education degree programs that reference it.
    Well, here is one example of many:
    Module 11: Confronting Colorblindness and Neutrality – Project READY: Reimagining Equity & Access for Diverse Youth (unc.edu)
    This is from "a free online professional development curriculum" and is provided courtesy of University of North Carolina, North Carolina Central University, the Wake County Public School System, and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was helping my daughter talk through an essay she was to write that was about various strategies for Black Americans to achieve 'the American dream' from the Civil War to the present day. And I'm kinda amazed. Because she was able to talk fluently about Reconstruction, Booker T., Dubois, sharecropping, the Klan and lynchings, Jim Crow laws, poll taxes, the Great Migration, race riots, Greenwood, blacks in the Armed Services, GI bill, redlining, white flight, segregation and desegregation, the civil rights movement and MLK, affirmative action, drug war, mass incarceration, and modern-day movement for representation, ESG, CRT, GRT, MAGA and every other acronym.

I know about this stuff now but thinking about my high school education, I had some surface knowledge about reconstruction, sharecropping, the Klan, Jim Crow, poll taxes... and we never really managed to progress past WWII in order to study the civil rights era. It was well into my adulthood before I read anything from Dubois or Washington or Douglass or MLK (aside the Dream speech), didn't know about Greenwood or other race riots, never heard anything specific about lynchings, didn't know about the Great Migration, didn't know that the GI bill that educated my father and helped him buy the house I grew up in was denied to blacks, didn't know about redlining or white flight. Of course, I grew up with the drug war, mass incarceration, and affirmative action, but without all that other stuff I couldn't contextualize it.

Granted, my daughter is a lot smarter than me. And granted, she's part black and probably has more intrinsic motivation to know such things. But education has changed a lot in the prominence it seems to be able to put now on our heritage of white supremacy -- at least at the private school my daughter shares with the children of a prominent Republican politician who opposes making this same education available in public schools.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Good for your daughter. It appears she has a good head on her shoulders and will do well in her future endeavors.

We were taught very little about any of that stuff as well. Since I learned about the Civil War in Texas, a lot of the southern "heroes" were lionized. As a matter of fact, when I was 11 our boy scout patrol was named the Rebels and we had a confederate flag (this was in 1969). The patrol members relished in the idea we were rebels in the sense of rebelling rather than in the Confederate army sense even though we had the flag. None of the adults involved batted an eye.

During a "Camporee" when a number of greater Houston scout troops were gathered, our patrol was chased through the woods by a group of black boy scouts. (fortunately they didn't catch up to us... they must not have been trying very hard) None of us even realized why they would do that. The adults didn't bother explaining it to us.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

None of that is actual slavery and none of it refutes what I said.

You do know that people are still kidnapped and made to do things against. Their will, and that is not considered the same as Slavery from the 1800's.

Like I said, none of this is new.

There is "slavery" going on today against people of different races, again what point are you trying to make?

There is enough that needs to be addressed with race relations and discrimination than trying to make this a thing.

What the heck is that video supposed to show?

Its not Neoslavery its exsplotation.

I can show you videos of it being done to Philippines and Native Americans as well.

8. JuanValdez

When I was a high school freshman circa 1989, we had a slave auction. It was a way for the school to raise money and to pair freshmen to seniors for a week of some light hazing to help integrate us into high school. But we called it, and ran it as, a slave auction. As high schoolers, we understood the historical context, but we didn't think of it as racist because we didn't think of ourselves as racist. But now I cringe to think of it. Fortunately, it was gone by the time I was a senior.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL thanks for the laugh.

Nope, not even going there with you, nice try though.;)

10. RocktheCasbah

RocktheCasbah Member

But the Attorney General to FDR literally had to refer to it as slavery in order outlaw it in the 1940s and it's thought to have persisted and affected over 1/5th (800,000+) of the 4 million freed slaves since the Civil War ended. It's policies that largely created the stereotype that black people are statistically more likely to commit crimes than other people with different skin colors, which is a stereotype that persists to this day.

What is slavery to you by the way? Because the way the video presents it, it seems like slavery, to the point where the U.S. government had to address it as such in order to prosecute charges that would actually hold up in court. Do the 800,000 people that got caught up in such a system know it's not slavery because you say it isn't in 2022? Should I take the AG's word for it when they say it's slavery or should I take your word for it because you want to call it something else for reasons I don't fully understand.

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Asked for proof and then ignored it. That sounds about right. The exact same thing that happened when I proved lil Homicide was holding a gun less than a second before he was shot. I understand, when the evidence that proves you wrong is posted for everyone to see, I can understand why you wouldn't want to address it. You are allowed to just admit you are wrong and thank me for providing what you asked for though.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That was not proof.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Sinister Symmetry Of CRT And GRT
    The extremes of right and left on immigration are fueling each other.

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/the-sinister-symmetry-of-crt-and-d76?s=r

excerpt:

And this is the trap we are in. CRT and GRT are in a deadly and poisonous dance in our culture. They foster ever-increasing levels of racial identity in each other; they demonize whole populations because of skin color; they both believe liberal democracy is rigged against them; and the logic of their mutual, absolutist racial politics is civil conflict, not democratic deliberation.

If we are to get past the kind of ugly violence and race essentialism in Great Replacement Theory, then we also need an antidote to the toxins of Critical Race Theory. The two illiberalisms are profoundly connected. They need each other. And, in their racialized heart, they are morally exactly the same.
    more at the link

14. adoo

adoo Member

so says one who---when debating/discussing racial diversity---manipulates data to lump Asians and whites as one group

#1274 adoo, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Blacks not learning about our history, is another broken home issue

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Saw first CRT Republican primary ad against GeorgeP Bush

17. JuanValdez

Strong homes can be protection against efforts to erase one's history, but broken homes isn't the cause of it. Black history (and Native American history, hispanic history, and the history of other minorities) is systematically marginalized in the civic sphere because its the white majority writing the history. It wasn't from a strong home that I learned about Pilgrims fleeing religious persecution, the Protestant work ethic, the inheritance of democracy and liberalism from the English and the Magna Carta and the Enlightenment and the ancient Romans and Greeks, the nobility of George Washington, the wisdom of the forefathers, the bravery of the Texians at the Alamo (and the guile of the Texians at San Jacinto), the moral convictions of Lincoln and the abolitionists, our vanquishment of the forces of evil during World War 2, and all that other stuff that goes into white America's myth-making (all ingredients, btw of that other historiographical lens CRT tries to replace: American Exceptionalism). They taught all of that in school. And it's shot through in the culture, showing up in cartoons, ads, books, conversation, everywhere. You can be from the brokenest broken home in America, literally raised by meth-addled wolves (so long as the wolves had a television), and you'd still know the history of white America.

I know you want blacks to do for themselves, but there is only so much a household or a whole community can do to preserve itself in the face of persecution. Before the Civil War, slavers literally separated children from parents and husbands from wives. After emancipation, southern blacks were forced into a diaspora by a sustained campaign of lynching and discrimination. Long after emancipation, blacks were denied an equal education, and by the time they finally got one, the events in their own communities' histories weren't included in the textbooks. Sure, now those atrocities are mostly ended. Now, maybe, blacks (and not just blacks, Americans) can reclaim their history and preserve it in their households and communities. But they have to build it back in. Maybe what you're seeing right now with what is being called CRT is that process of building that history back in.

subtomic, Rileydog and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Saw that. Made be laugh out loud. It was followed up by Bush's ad against Paxton repeating that he is indicted multiple times for multiple crimes and still being investigated by the FBI. Why is that not enough for GOP voters?

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Who's hist do you learn more than blacks?

What did you learn about Italians, the Irish etc?

Black history is slavery and Jim Crow and MLK. Wtf else do you "need" to know?

The public school system has enough responsibility and liberals complain about the simple ish they try to do

It's hard enough teaching reading writing and arithmetic to kids from broken homes

JuanValdez likes this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You could start with the first successful Open Heart surgery, inventions credited to Thomas Edison, the massacre on Oklahoma, The government authorized fraud on unwitting African - American test subjects in Tuskegee.

Malcolm X, etc. The list goes on and on. It's good for all Americans to learn