1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I am saying there is more than one way for laws to be applied unequally. You are focused on the fact that this particular law is being applied equally across races. I am saying that the law is not being applied equally, because it only applies increased punishments if you target enumerated protected classes. Targeting someone because of their race is no better or worse than targeting someone because of their hair color. Race is a protected class. Saying that attacks against race A by race B are punished the same as attacks against race B by race A is nonresponsive.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

To no one's surprise ...

Jessica Grose/NY Times:

Who’s Unhappy With Schools? The Answer Surprised Me.

I would have thought that the latest numbers about parental satisfaction might be lower because of all the pandemic-related chaos. But according to Gallup, which has tracked school satisfaction annually since 1999, in 2021, “73 percent of parents of school-aged children say they are satisfied with the quality of education their oldest child is receiving.” More parents were satisfied in 2021 than they were in 2013 and 2002, when satisfaction dipped into the 60s, and in 2019, we were at a high point in satisfaction — 82 percent — before the Covid pandemic dealt schools a major blow.

Digging deeper into the Gallup numbers revealed that the people who seem to be driving the negative feelings toward American schools do not have children attending them: Overall, only 46 percent of Americans are satisfied with schools

JayGoogle and JuanValdez like this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I actually am pleasantly surprised.

Notice the poll dates were in August of 2021. This thread started in May 2021, so the CRT debate was already here by then. By I wonder how this year's figures will fare after a few more months' pummeling by fear-mongering, office-seeking Republicans.

No Worries likes this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

As a parent with a son in HS, I can tell you that the academic year September 2020 to May 2021 was a total sh*t show (though better than the spring 2020 semester). His classes were lucky to cover 2/3 of the required material. He was on his own to covered the remaining 1/3, which he had to do for his AP classes (first world problem, I know). Given that, 73% satisfaction rate is a minor miracle.

I suspect that the very loud book banning/burning crowd also do not have school age kids.

JuanValdez and jiggyfly like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This should be a huge talking point leading up to Nov by the democrats, every democratic candidate should mention it wherever they go.

subtomic and No Worries like this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@JuanValdez

I'm sure some people got a dose of what teachers have to deal with during the pandemic. Doesn't surprise me at all

JuanValdez and jiggyfly like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

incredibly thought-provoking piece

White outrage about Will Smith’s slap is rooted in anti-Blackness. It’s inequality in plain sight
    This kind of performative pearl-clutching is reserved for Black men who mess up. It was a bad incident, but the Oscars have seen worse

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-anti-blackness-its-inequality-in-plain-sight

excerpt:

While it’s justifiable – important, even – to interrogate his motives for delivering the slap (was this really all about defending his wife or more about his own ego?), it’s clear that the backlash against Smith is rooted in not just anti-Blackness, but respectability politics as well.

It’s also not just about what Smith did; it’s where he did it and who was watching. Anyone who has been following these shows can see that Smith is being held up to much stricter standards than white men who have behaved just as badly or even worse in those settings. In 1973, John Wayne had to be restrained by six security guards when he tried to rush the stage and attack the Native American actor and activist Sacheen Littlefeather. Littlefeather was on stage to accept the best actor award on behalf of Marlon Brando, who was boycotting the awards in protest at Hollywood’s depictions of Native Americans.

Wayne got to keep his awards after the incident, but pending a review, Smith could very well have his historic best actor win revoked. Mind you, this is the same academy that gave Roman Polanski an award in absentia after he pleaded guilty to a charge of unlawful sex with a minor and fled the country before he could be sentenced. The double standard is glaring.

I also find it hard to believe that the same white audiences who consume violence against Black people on screen to an almost fetishistic degree (and are quite happy to have the Academy reward these gratuitously violent projects year after year) are so distraught about an open-palm slap. Again, this kind of performative pearl-clutching is only ever reserved for Black men who mess up.
    more at the link

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Will Smith's slap was on stage. This piece is stupid. I don't know how any people knew about John Wayne but if Wayne obviously a much bigger star yanked that woman off stage even he would have been chastised.

The stuff about black on black violence in movies, a big whatever to that also. There are plenty famous black movies in all genres

I thought Wayne's racism was known but not anything specific. I knew about Brando's protest but not Wayne's reaction.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, in hindsight I probably should have put the little winky thing on that post ;)

pgabriel likes this.
  12. Salvy

Salvy Member

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's many layers of irony here.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Someone posting charlie kirk and candace owners videos... and not to simply ridicule republicans/trump supporters? That is what I come here for!

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Candace Owen - now she is someone that gets it.

(Did I do that right?)

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

desantis turns his attention back to "crt" which apparently is now even in math...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sample math question in one of the textbooks:
    “Johnny hates whitey so he put 26 caps in 15 crackers. If he put 3 caps each in 5 whiteys how many caps did the remaining white devils receive?”

JuanValdez likes this.
  18. Xopher

Xopher Member

Mr. Rimbaud. This question cannot be answered accurately.
    5 received 3 caps.
    1 received 2 caps
    9 received 1 cap.

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mathematically accurate math problems are racist, you Coca-Colonializer.