1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

2. SuraGotMadHops

I think a lot of society's problems and social issues would be solved if people minded their own business more, and focused on their own household and raising good, kind, children. Don't need any schools trying to do that for us, don't need the gov't trying to do that for us. Denzel Washington once said "you can't legislate your way into getting people not to hate each other." It starts at home, with everybody, all races.

JumpMan likes this.
  3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Racists have been doing their best to deny the bias that exists and they are determined to make sure that they keep the cycle going.

A refusal to sugar coat the country’s racist history and the systemic issues at play and an attempt to educate people about it is a threat to them and they are desperate to stop it from happening.

RayRay10 and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is not being educated about our nations racist past?

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What does this mean? Do you think it's beating up a strawman?

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You'll struggle to find someone more at odds with CRT here than me, but I think it's silly if not an outright bad idea to stop schools from teaching basic values.

Individual vs. collective isn't really a "values" question anyway, at least not directly.

Kids spend like 50% of their waking hours in school and do 99% of their social development there. You can't just be like "hands off" in terms of the development of their values otherwise they'll all turn into sociopaths.

#106 DonnyMost, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
  7. SuraGotMadHops

I agree...as a kid we had lessons on sharing, politeness, manners, respect, and all kinds of other basic values in school. Heck, we even got graded on it. I think that's fine. But I would not treat it as a substitute for a parent's responsibility to teach and reinforce same, and I certainly would not extend that to issues beyond basic values. There's a difference between "treat everybody with respect" vs. "let me give you a lesson on what white privilege is and how some of you have it"

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think the problem is conflating ideology with values.

Our values play into a lot of things politically, but ideology is a very complex web of values and judgements that obviously shouldn't be taught as much as studied or examined.

You can't go wrong if you break everything down to their fundamentals and teach them as core. Where you get in trouble is when you construct a totem out of your own mixture of personal values and assumptions and try to teach that as first principles.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Racists.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't know the gov;t was taking kids from their parents and raising themselves. That's news to me.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can't expose the youngins to ideas and have them think - they may think for themselves and develop views that disagree with us!!!!

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't read through this thread and admit I know very little about how Critical Race Theory is being taught in schools these days.
    I was watching Meet the Press and Trymaine Lee who has just made a documentary about the destruction of Black Wall Street stated that 83% of OK students didn't know about that incident. That the history of that incident and several other incidences have never been taught even in the places where they occurred. For me personally growing up I never heard about the Destruction of Black Wall Street or learned about the Exclusion Acts or much of the history of Asian Americans in high school. My Junior year history teacher frequently showed sympathies towards the Confederacy during the section on the Civil War.

I agree that it's wrong to teach that whites are all actually racists and that current white students should feel guilty about historical racism but given how much history has not been taught and frankly suppressed I think we need to call out that history.

Deckard, RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Agree.

I had not heard about the Tulsa Massacre in school, I think it had to be about the last 15 years and I have always been a history buff.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

History class cant teach every incident. We learn about slavery and Jim Crow in history class and thats what primary education is about. Learning about more incidents like Tulsa is for later classes.

I will say this about that period snd race relations. The early 1900s were very rough for blacks in terms of things lile race riots. The entire period really from the end of Reconstruction till The Great Depression was a very violent period in terms of race relations and that does get lost in history.

Tje school system doesn't shy away from America's histoey on race. So while history classes could stress how miserable this period was for blacks not doing so doesn't white wash history class in general

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why should you hear about it in school. Did you hear about race ripts during that period in school? You're the teacher but i would think its hard enough teaching kids the basics

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You really know your black history.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A lot of people dont know about race riots from that period. Tulsa was one of many

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're right not even incident can be taught but things like the destruction of Black Wall Street, the Exclusion acts are important parts of our history. When I was taking history I learned far more about most of the battles of Civil War even relatively insignificant ones than I did about those incidences.
    Just claiming that the early 1900's was a rough time for black people without understanding why it was would be like saying Texas has rough weather without knowing about the 1900 hurricane that devastated Galveston.

There are vast general trends in history but history is defined by incidences. The scope and scale of the destruction of Black Wall Street merits knowing that as a key incidence in what was happening in this country at that time.

Deckard and jiggyfly like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF?

Thanks for making the point no race riots were not taught in schools but riots were talked about, The Boston massacre, Boston Tea Party are the most famous that come to mind.

What are the basics in your mind?

Rocket River likes this.