1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Q

Nook likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Surprise.

CRT has always been a racism McGuffin.

Since it's not an actual thing - It means whatever the intended audience deems it to mean, and so you get obvious nazi moves like book burning, because they are empowered by this.

Neg rep to the so called MSM for letting it get this far

AkeemTheDreem86 and subtomic like this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Censorship, cancel cultures, and willful ignorance. This is a sad thing to see in the 21st century.

edwardc likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Can they notsee the Nazism?

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Absolutely. Pretty much any book should be allowed in a library (exception for illegal speech, like edit: libel). Banning books, to me, is a) anti-knowledge, b) an exhibition of cowardice, and c) nearly always completely ineffective and often counterproductive (drawing more attention to the banned material than it ever would have received without the ban).

#765 StupidMoniker, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Book burning... where have we seen this before?

Spotsylvania School Board orders libraries to remove 'sexually explicit' books
    https://fredericksburg.com/news/loc...cle_6c54507a-6383-534d-89b9-c2deb1f6ba17.html

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So what is the “moderate” or centrist policy on discussing and addressing the issue of race in school?

It seems to me that only those politically left of the typical self-described moderate are willing to acknowledge that racism is still a significant issue in society and willing to even suggest seeking ways to lessen its impact. And like any other issues, the ideas progressives propose to discuss racism run the gamut from enlightened to embarrassingly dumb. Believe me, I see no value in telling a school age child that they are irredeemably racist - that’s inaccurate and even in discussions of a higher level, provides no groundwork for debating solutions. It sucks that there have been some incompetent educators out there who said or genuinely implied this, but I don’t see that as a reason to remove hard but also age-appropriate discussions of race from primary education.

Nor do I see the GOP outrage machine meant to terrify parents as something with which to find a middle ground. Slavery and racism are ugly, and unfortunately, almost all of our country’s leaders in history have been wrapped up in one, the other or both. Trying to avoid discussing this entirely with kids only makes it harder to have more substantive discussion later in their educations. I’m not saying you have to expose a 2nd grader to the nasty details of Thomas Jefferson taking advantage of Sally Hemmings, but when you talk about the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, the fact that certain groups were initially intended to be left out from that social contract should not be omitted.

Again, this ties into the point I’ve made elsewhere that moderates (almost all of whom are Democrats now) don’t seem willing to take a stand on anything, but rather react to the blowing winds in such a way to emphasize their willingness to maintain the status quo and avoid imposing any discomfort on those comfortable in their own personal lives. This seems to be their approach to dealing with the CRT boogeyman - rather than be explicit about their own values (and how that might translate into serving their constituents and writing legislation), they instead seem to gravitate toward repeating the less controversial ideas of MLK (the whole content of character line). I don’t see how that serves any purpose at all unless they’re willing to serve as a buffer for the progressives who are actually have the policy ideas. There’s value in that but I don’t see that willingness.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What discussions about race do you think should happen in schools below the college level?

And why do you think any teachers will not discuss it without bringing their own biasis into it?

edwardc likes this.
  9. subtomic

Supporting Member

Below college level, I would expect the discussion of race to be almost entirely limited to history class with perhaps some discussion of it in literature/reading class at times. Hopefully, depending on what history is being taught (state, US or world), time would be given to key events where racism was a significant factor (origins of slave trade, imperialism, treatment of aboriginal populations, the 3/5 clause in the Constitution, the US Civil War and Reconstruction just to touch on pre-20th century topics). I suppose I could attempt an exhaustive list here, but that would be rather time consuming. What I wouldn’t want is for these topics to be skipped or presented in a way that ignores the how much race was a determining factor. For example, when I was growing up, I had a history teacher claim the Civil war was not fought over slavery but instead over states’ rights. That perspective is a clear case of removing the topic of race from a historic event, which is neither accurate nor acceptable.

Similarly, I would hope that all history classes would include primary accounts, including some from slaves, Native Americans and other individuals who were on the receiving end of racism. Some of these may be extremely heart wrenching or painful to read, but they shouldn’t be avoided.

As to the issue of teacher bias, that isn’t limited to the topic of race, nor should it be a reason to avoid any challenging topic.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Screenshot_20211113-135031_Google.jpg

Nook likes this.
  12. edwardc

edwardc Member

If that could only happen in todays world.

subtomic likes this.
  13. edwardc

edwardc Member

VooDooPope likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

15. subtomic

Supporting Member

So here's an article from Popular Information, which is a paid newsletter to which I subscribe.

Make no mistake - this is the end game for all the CRT noise from the right. They'll get independents and moderates riled up about one outlying insensitive teacher and convince them that Democrats are committed to making their precious kids feeling bad about all that awful racism from the 19th century that clearly doesn't exist anymore. Using this and similar wedge issues as well the ongoing delusion of moderates and independents that tax raises on the 1% will affect them, Republicans get elected and then pass laws like the one described above. Then, when Democrats try to bring this up, they'll be accused of "race-baiting."

Just the same, every Democrat candidate should be citing this law and its consequences whenever the topic of CRT comes up. Hammer home that Republicans are trying to pretend that racism doesn't exist and that they're trying to "cancel" the history of all oppressed people.

Of course, that won't happen - at least not until the spineless moderates stop being babied for their fecklessness.

Every Democratic candidate should use this example when countering CRT propaganda.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Non of that is CRT and most of that is actually taught in high school.

Its crazy that you have an issue with your teacher having bias but yet you think it will not be a problem when it comes to this subject.

Bias can go both ways and its bad either way.

edwardc and Nook like this.
  17. subtomic

Supporting Member

You're right - it's not CRT, but your question was this....

So that's what I answered. But as I've shown from the article about North Dakota, it's not a given that this will continue to be taught in high school. In fact, Republicans are actively working to avoid teaching it altogether.

And as far as bias, again, you brought it up - not me

Of course bias is not a good thing, but it permeates all aspects of our lives. It can't be eliminated, but it can be avoided with the right curriculum and supervision. That's why I don't get overly worked up about one idiot teacher (of either side) - I'm much more concerned about the dictates coming from the local school boards and the state legislatures.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is a theory not taught in schools....but what they are mad about is that it is really.

CRITICAL ABOUT RACISTS THEORY!

DD

rockbox likes this.
  20. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member