1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cringeworthy] Craig Akerman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RKREBORN, Jan 13, 2024.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

Who tf is even Hollins to comment our games

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

Yeah tf was that. Not every good player belings there lmao

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I can see going with Ackerman & Hollins for today's social media listeners. Where they'll sound lively in today's replay heavy climate. More than being "foundational" announcers. There's definitely value in trusting that your announcers went through all the eras with you. (Fan: "Remember Buck Johnson?" -> Bill Worrell & Crew: "Oh The Blade? Yes ;)") But maybe listeners like being "in the moment" more than overall team heritage

4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Craig’s fine. He’s grown on me. He can be legit funny sometimes.

Joe Rocket and harold bingo like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Craig is decent, which might as well be elite when compared to goofy ass Ryan Hollins

cml750 and BallSoHarden like this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

will there be a time when rox let cfers be a guest commentator? wanna hear @Asian Sensation and @tinman reminisce about the good old days

Asian Sensation and tinman like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Asian Sensation remembers when Maxwell punked the Suns in game 3 of semi finals

Jontro and Asian Sensation like this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Bill was one of the laziest announcers in sports, his calls on some historic Harden plays ruined the clips for the archives because he screwed up the call on them. Look back at the game Harden dropped 61, he screwed it up to the point the Rockets in their media files will put the radio broadcast audio over Bill. He never did the work to remember any opposing team's players or learn any new facts to share, he was so stuck in his ways for over a decade and made the same corny jokes. People who are close to the team know that Bill have said he was a creepy creepy dude, he just never got called out for it publicly, but likely will never be recognized by the Rockets in the future as they are trying to distance themselves from him, he would make Ime look like a saint compared to what he was saying and doing.

We were ranked near last in the league in commentator rankings with Bill those last few years. At least Craig is a genuinely good guy that has built relationships with players over the years and would get invited to do things with the players on road trips/team building events, no one was trying to hang around creepy Bill. Instead of describing the play Bill would just often scream "HOOOOOOOO" absolute worst in the league, anyone is better than him.

9. billWorellshow

billWorellshow New Member

don’t we all..

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I will give a pass to anyone that has had to call every minute of so many games during the Tilman years.

It's a miracle that he can still think straight.

Man, I miss Bill. But Craig is holding it down. He is passionate about the organization. His interviews are also good.

Hollins - he's a generic color commentator, and doesn't have Houston ties. He talks about UCLA more than anything H-Town.

BigShasta likes this.
  11. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

What are you talking about Ryan Hollins is the GOAT, he played in the league over 30 years and he’s been on 33 team including Seattle Sonics, Bobcats and New Orleans Hornets.

I’ve never seen him play before but sounds like he played with every players that ever step foot on the court.

napalm06 likes this.
  12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm right there with you. Hollins is awesome. His eyes and experience are undeniable. Craig is great too. Pro, has good energy in his voice, knows the history of the team and what's going on currently. You get other people on our calls and you'll notice and wish you had Ryan and Craig back.

Also, Craig answers his twitter during games if you're nice about it. Not a ton of people doing that around the league if I had to guess.

heypartner and RustyHarden like this.
  13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Craig Ackerman is still working games like he is still on radio. He talks like there is a Horse Race going on.

Ryan Hollins always says "AYE" when a Rockets player Dunks. And also his Stupid Laugh on a Great Play. Just Shut Up Ryan you are ruining a Moment for the Fans.

I want to hear rim tear down, not Ryan talking over a play, ruining the Dunk.

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Shaquille O'Neal connections got Ryan Hollins this Job honestly.

Matt Bullard is way better, plus calls out the referees on the road.

Don't know why the Rockets have our broadcasters on the 5th Floor broadcasting games instead on the Hardwood Floor where the Broadcasters can see up closely. The Rockets are the only team doing these stupid things.

clos4life likes this.
  15. clos4life

clos4life Member

I can live with Ackerman, but Hollins is straight up garbage as a commentator.

16. JW86

JW86 Member

People who still clamor for Bill & Calvin really do not remember the early 2000s when it was all just about the suits, Calvin throwing out slang, both of them b****ing about bad calls and both of them just making jokes, talking about anything and everything. It was entertaining once in a blue moon. Bill was actually good again once Bullard was next to him, since he liked to joke around and be kind of insightful. I think Hollins could've worked with Bill.

Ackerman is fine, though he will never be great, unless he shakes that radio type commentary. He's not easy to listen to at times, but overall he's solid. It's the pairing with Hollins that makes it average. Hollins tries to match Ackerman's excitement, neither guy have any knowledge about the Rockets past from personal experience really, so nostalgia factor is zero.

That being said, we had a full Houston crew with Drex, Bill & Bull and it SUCKED, much harder than what we're hearing now. People really have some pink-colored glasses on, thinking the past some great commentating, because it wasn't. Bill was getting senile, Clyde was a lazy bum who made awkward moments even more awkward and Bullard sounded like he was constantly looking for validation. Still, I would've taken Bullard along with Craig if he could've cut out that ref whining. Hollins is more level-headed and unbiased in that regard, which makes Craig less biased too.

All in all, we're okay here, though I wouldn't mind a switch up at some point. Definitely not a thick Houston accent guy anymore like that Van guy in 2004-05 nor just a guy who has ties to the Rockets but has no knowledge. We need someone who can talk in a normal soothing voice, is warm, can provide some nice stories about the past and does not try to imitate Craig. Oh and can we please get our old sideline reporter back , Kayleigh Griffin, who went back to Cleveland. The current one is I guess to some people eye candy, but I have no interest in hearing that voice and seeing that face.

17. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dude is a cheeseball

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Craig’s ok. Can’t stand Hollins. The Rockets have never had good tv announcers. Use to like Gene Peterson and Jim Foley just for laughs (biggest homers of all time), but it was fun listening to them on the radio. I glad were are blessed with the Astro team, best in the business.

charlieaustin likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I originally thought this thread was going to be some sort of woke accusation about something he said. At least it's just generic complaining. Carry on!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My only complaint would be for Hollins to stop saying “bbq chicken” all the time. That saying just makes no sense to me honestly. I didn’t get it when Shaq said it, and really don’t understand the connection chicken getting cooked on an open fire vs baked in an oven or fried has anything to do with a basketball player scoring the basketball in a way that is common for them but unguardable throughout a game.

That’s really my only annoyance. I like Craig and enjoy his occasional rants (especially when he goes off on the King Cake Baby). I like guys like Jeff Van Gundy who throw in some funny side rants every once in awhile. Matt Bullard though was bad at it and was too repetitive and goofy. He was good when he stuck to the games mostly and didn’t try to be a comedian.

I’m okay with continuing on with the commentators we have for awhile.

Zen Tabak likes this.