1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crimes against Humanity: North Korea

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Feb 17, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/17/world/asia/north-korea-un-report/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

2. justtxyank

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/07/opinion/lee-stanton-north-korea/

3. Nook

Nook Member

Okay....... and? Give us your opinion or something, not just post the article please.

Do you want military action?
    Do you just want to draw more attention world wide?

Where are we going here?

4. justtxyank

Relax, I'm typing my thoughts on another tab.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Okay.......

Sorry I just have a strong interest in North Korea.... and everyone says it is terrible but no one ever offers any solutions.

1 person likes this.
  6. justtxyank

I had free time this morning and stumbled across these two articles. I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but this shocked me. I've always known that North Korea is backwards and that Kim had done crazy things like kill family members. I knew that the people were living in poor conditions, but I honestly had no idea that they were at this stage.

If these reports are true, it seems almost like Nazi Germany except all citizens are at risk of being classified as the equivalent of a "Jew."

I was really aghast by these articles. World War II is often seen as a "just war" and there are some who even criticize our slow action. The story of the boat full of Jews that was rejected is seen as a black eye on the world. Should the world be acting here? If these events were going on in a European country, would we do something about it?

Are these findings breaking ground or did I have my head in the sand on North Korea? It doesn't seem like it gets discussed much honestly outside of the nuclear issue, the occasional American they hold hostage for a spell and the bizarre actions of the leader. North Korea is usually treated as a joke on news programs where they talk about the legendary golf scores and all that crap. If these reports are true, North Korea is not a subject to be laughed about.

I'm not sure what a solution is honestly as clearly I'm a novice to the issue. BUT, I think the world definitely needs to galvanize and begin formulating solutions, even if those are military options. Cutting them off completely financially seems like a natural first start.

7. Nook

Nook Member

The camps have been known about for years but it is very hard to get any solid information because traditionally North Korea has completely limited access and technology.... things are changing though, more and more technology is creeping in and video of just how bad it is in NK is leaking out. There are a few excellent documentaries on the subject. Even the Chinese are getting sick of NK defectors.

As far as the camps go, I agree with you, it is worse... because in NK, anyone can be sent to the camps... it is common for defectors to see multiple generations of their family sent to camps to die... torture, starvation and sexual assault are the norm.

8. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Nothing will happen military wise unless China and Russia supports it.

Since both those countries aren't exactly human rights champions, most likely the best bet for change is some type internal revolution.

Also not mentioned is if this is government sponsored abuse or just power mad guards in remote concentration camps. Just like US prisoner abuse is not indicative US rights policies.

9. Buck Turgidson

China is the only thing keeping that country afloat, and China is the only thing that can bring about regime change there.

10. Nook

Nook Member

China is getting tired of NK. The Chinese border has been flooded with NK and they are not thrilled about it. Only a few years ago there were areas at the NK and PRC border that were not fenced off.... now they are fenced off.

Also the current regime is not as popular as the former father and grand father.

11. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

We didn't fight Hitler because of what he did to the Jews. We fought Hitler because the prospect of a Nazi-dominated Europe was bad. It didn't matter whether Hitler was indeed the semi-benevolent dictator that quite a few people in the 1930s thought he was, him controlling Europe was still against American and British interests.

And while North Korea is not the joke that people think it is...North Korea's collapse, for now, would be a bigger threat to global stability than it surviving.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Agree with you on all points..... but NK is a joke.... the problem is that instability in NK right now could have serious consequences in the Pacific as well as in the Mid East and Asia..... Russia, China, Japan and USA all would be deeply involved... and South Korea would be very concerned due to the geography.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's insane. The USA and China should jointly act. But I guess that's a pipedream. And it's very risky, because Seoul is so close to the border and that guy and his cronies are such lunatics.

14. hlcc

hlcc Member

Honestly China is just as much as hostage of North Korea as the rest of the countries in the region. Sure the financial & material aides provided is helping keep the North Korean regime afloat, but it's not like China has any options. If China cuts aid and the regime collapses, the best case scenario is probably millions of refugees with many of them armed rushing across the border and the worst case is some kind of crazy desperation military action by fatty Kim.

Another thing is due to the close proximity of Seoul and its 25 million residents to the DMZ North Korea artilleries & MRLS can do considerable damage to the city

15. hlcc

hlcc Member

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20140115000029&cid=1101

Somehow I doubt this show of force was done in support of North Korea.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I was saying the PRC's support for NK has been wavering.... especially since the change at the top.... having said that, if the USA attempted to support wide spread change in NK, you better believe that PRC would get involved.... you and I can both say that PRC is not thrilled with NK, but they would FAR rather have the current regime in power than a government like in SK that would favor the USA.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Horrible but it's China's problem, not ours. They need to figure it out.

18. hlcc

hlcc Member

I doubt South Korea is interested in reunification at this point either. Even a completely peaceful reunification with North Korea will drag the South Korean economy to the crappers for decades.

Not really sure if the US government is all that interested in a unified Korea either. Reunification will have a very large price tag for the US (the war, the reconstruction etc) and after reunification the US army will probably get booted out of the country.

19. justtxyank

Who said we fought WWII because of what was happening to the Jews? But do you deny that the holocaust has been used for years to justify the righteousness of WWII (along with Pearl Harbor.) It's always used as an example of the righteousness high ground that the USA has.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Given Seoul's proximity to the DMZ, the North's nuclear program and the discovery of tunnels dug into South Korean territory by North Korean soldiers, not to mention the massive amounts of artillery pointed at the South Korea, the loss of life could easily be in the tens of millions. Don't forget that North Korea also hates Japan and has launched rockets over the Japanese islands to prove that it could.

War with one of the largest standing armies on earth, much of which is brainwashed to die for the regime, would be catastrophic.