1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cricket: South Africa v Australia, 5th ODI

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AB, Mar 12, 2006.

1. AB

AB Contributing Member

WOW!!! This has got be the greatest game ever
    First Australia creates one day International history by scoring 434
    (first 400+ total in the history of the game ..previous highest 390 something)

Then South Africa chases and beats them with one ball and one wicket to spare , 438-9 in 49.5 overs
    just WOW!!!! Hope to catch highlights of this game

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/rsavaus/content/current/story/240507.html

49.5 overs South Africa 438 for 9 (Gibbs 175, Smith 90, Boucher 50*) beat Australia 434 for 4 (Ponting 164, Hussey 81, Katich 79) by one wicket

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

WOW!!! That is freakin crazy! :eek:

In basketball terms, that is like team A beating team B 180-179 in regulation on a buzzer beater!

3. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

I stayed up last night watching the match live and I must say I was in shock at the end, Even when I woke up this morning I couldn't believe what had happened.

First of all for Australia to make 434 (37 more than the previous world record) was an amazing effort and something everyone would have remembered and then for South Africa to beat that total with 1 ball remaining was unbelievable. World records broken on the day were Highest ever total scored in a match, Highest ever run chase, Most 6's in a match, Most 4's in a match & the most runs ever off a bowlers 10 overs (M Lewis (AUS) 10 over 0 for 113)

:eek:

4. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I wonder how close were the boundaries

5. dockerland

Not much different to a normal ground, they were playing at Wanderers though which is some distance above sea level so the air is a lot thinner making the ball travel further.

6. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I could not believe the scoreline!!!! :eek:

The runs scored is more akin to an innings each in a test match.

I'm happy for South Africa to win. They need something to cheer about b/c the Aussies should win the test series.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i cannot believe South Africa chased that down, i went to bed assuming we would win...

hat off to the South African for some superb batting

but damn how fricken bad is our bowling line-up

really not sure what the selectors fascination is with Stuart Clarke and Mick Lewis.......

8. dockerland

I actually rate Stuart Clark, never did at first yet he has shown he is worthwhile especially if McGrath struggles to return.

Mick Lewis on the other hand, How he is in there before Dizzy, Tait or Kasper I will never know :mad:

9. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

hmm.... yeah cricket isn't a real sport....

10. Christopher

Christopher Member

I dont like it at all.

When Australia hit 300 after 40 overs....I just felt it was really bad for Cricket.

Some peoploe really enjoy that sort of thing, but I'd much rather a decent contest where both batter and bowler have some influence on the game.