1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Credit JVG for Yao's Rapid Progress

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SageHare6, Mar 6, 2004.

1. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

JVG Has Been Instrumental in Cultivating Yao's Growth

When we think back to the days when the Rocket organization was still finding a deserving successor to RudyT, the following list of coaches come to mind -- Mike Dunleavy, Paul Silas, Larry Brown, and of course, the ultimate winner, Jeff VanGundy. If their respective team performances in the 2003-2004 season is any indication of their coaching talents, then perhaps each organization made the right selection after all. And insofar as finding the right man to don the Rocket head coaching hat, JVG has indeed turned out to be the best fit for the job.

Under JVG, the 7'6" Yao has flourished in an offensive schema that emphasizes "inside-out" ball. Although nobody questioned Yao's ability to shoot the ball after witnessing his progress during his rookie season, it is under JVG that Yao has had the opportunity to develop his full repetoire of shots. Furthermore, JVG's early-season emphasis on getting Yao acclimated in the post and the low blocks is paying dividends today. Yao has never looked more comfortable in the post than during his recent upsurge in point productivity, most notably, during his game against the Lakers.

Moreover, JVG's defensive philosophy is anchored on strong big men in the middle. In a league where giants are rendered ineffective b/c of slow footspeed, Yao has found a comfortable home, defending the paint, alongside fellow Rockets Kelvin Cato and Clarence Weatherspoon. The progress that Yao has made on the defensive end is nothing short of incredible. Opposing teams, with or without a legitimate post presence, frequently think twice before attacking the paint. Fleet-footed opposing guards are also thinking-twice before challenging the Rocket giant.

<more to follow...>

:D

theSAGE

2. Deepsouth

Deepsouth Member

Sure.

3. YaoFan

YaoFan Member

Good, job, (with a pat on shoulder) Jeff !

Good job, the Sage (with another pat)!

4. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

written in the style of a seasoned columnist. i agree 100%

5. droxford

droxford Member

As long as we're giving JVG credit....

Knowing the major improvements that the T-Volves made over the summer, and knowing how the Lakers added Malone and Payton, and knowing how well Sac has done WITHOUT Webber (much less with)...
    ... much as I loved Rudy, there's just no way he would have built up as many wins as JVG has. I don't expect a ring this year, but we WILL be contenders next year, thanks to JVG.

-- droxford

6. ihatehyena

ihatehyena Member

I'd rather give Shaq scredit. It looks like Yao plays better after each Shaq vs. Yao.

7. pcheung

pcheung Member

How can you say that? Given a 2nd yr Yao, is the 7th seed with 35 wins really that impressive?

If anything, I think Rudy would have more wins, if for no other reason than the team not having to adjust to another system.

8. sup123

sup123 Member

i guess u would of liked iso, iso, and iso...yao probably wouldnt even get the ball.

9. pcheung

pcheung Member

Yes, under Rudy, Yao would average 13 pts for the REST OF HIS CAREER. :rolleyes:

10. pcheung

pcheung Member

When Rudy wrote "30 touches/game for Yao" on the board all of Yao's scrawny, underdeveloped rookie year he was really channeling JVG....

I've got more...

11. hangxy

hangxy Member

You are damn right! Yao has learned a lot while playing against Shaq.

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Member

There's one man whom we'd all like to forget, however, who also deserves credit.

That's right.

You know who.

Patrick Ewing.

Thanks, Patrick. Good work. :( ;)

13. pcheung

pcheung Member

But I'll leave the smart-aleck comments aside... for now... but assuming the Rockets were incapable of change and developing Yao under Rudy is completely unreasonable and false.

That's got little to do with Sage's post - which I mostly agree with - JVG is a good coach getting more defensively from this team than I think anyone anticipated. However, the "early-season emphasis on getting Yao acclimated in the post" MUST be extended to Rudy finding ways to get a physically underdeveloped Yao on the low block last year. Growing pains for sure, but we're seeing some payoff now from 1 and 1/2 years of coaching.

Actually, IMO, under Rudy I think Yao would have found his offensive flow much more easily this year. He'd be averaging close to 20/game. Defensively, though, all JVG. If you doubt, just look at Rudy's track record of putting his best players in position to maximize their offensive talents. Please with the iso, iso, iso stuff.

14. droxford

droxford Member

UGH! I never thought about it. You're right. Do we really have to give him credit? I mean, Yao is a lot tougher now, his skills as a center have dramtically improved....

...man, I really don't want to give Ewing credit, but I think you're right. I think he's actually earned it.

-- droxford

15. pcheung

pcheung Member

Ewing? Never heard of him... ;)

16. Uprising

Uprising Member

I am sure Pat is due some credit. Him and Yao seem to be close, I see them laughing together like every game on the bench.

17. YaoFan

YaoFan Member

We should thank Pat for not taking Yao to some clubs also :D

Btw, should not Yao's parents get some coaching credit? :confused:

18. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

I'll just post what I posted in another thread:

In addition, look at our record versus teams in our conference.

I just hope the myth of 'The Great Van Gundy' doesn't ever reach Phil Jackson status.
    :rolleyes:

19. Charvo

Charvo Member

In the scenario of "what ifs", Larry Brown would have been way more beneficial to Steve Francis. Look at what Darko is going through in Detroit. Yao might be a bench guy getting limited minutes with Larry. Part of the Steve Francis for Chauncey Billups trade rumor was because Larry wanted a guard who could penetrate and dish out. Chauncey does not like doing that. Also, Larry Brown was the coach for most of Rik Smits' career. Maybe it was better for Yao for Larry not to be selected as the coach.