1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Creative Scams

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dc sports, Oct 15, 2002.

1. dc sports

dc sports Member

The thread on work-at-home scams got me thinking... what are some of the most creative scams you've heard of.

The most creative one I've heard of is a pay-phone scam by this guy in Arizona. Here's the background: When you make a 1-800 (or other toll free call) it's essentially a collect call. The person you are calling pays for the long distance. However, if you make a call from a pay-phone, the 1-800 owner also gets hit will a small fee that goes back to the owner of the pay-phone.

So this small business owner notices a few calls from a payphone in Arizona on his 1-800 number in the middle of the night, for a few seconds each. He normally wouldn't pay any attention to the small amount, but he runs a 9-5 business, doesn't operate in Arizona, and thinks it's kind of unusual. He looks back a few months, and notices a few short calls in a little cluster every 2-3 months.

It turns out this man in Arizona set up a computer, in his basement, with an automatic dialer and database of toll free numbers in the US. He hooks up 20 pay phone lines (no phones) to this computer, and sets it to dial 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. By working through the list, and hitting every number with 2-4 hits, long enough for the line to pick up, then hang up, it takes a couple of months to get through the list. The 1-800 line owners either don't notice because of the small amount, or assume it was some idiot dialing a wrong number.

The Arizona authorities had a problem, as there obviously wasn't a specific law against this. Last I heard, they were going after the guy for federal wire fraud charges. But here's the catch -- he has been doing this for years, making an estimated $20-30 million a year.

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

A similar (yet legal) pay phone scam is the use of "common phrases" as the name of your long distance company. For example, Scam Artist Inc. owns a long distance service called "Doesn't Matter", which charges exhorbant rates for long distance. Meanwhile, at some pay phone somewhere, someone tries to call long distance and the operator asks "Which long distance company do you wish to use?" Those that answer "doesn't matter" are in for a rude awaking.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Greetings, friends. Do you wish to look as happy as me? Well, you've got the power inside you right now. So, use it, and send one dollar to Happy Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield. Don't delay, eternal happiness is just a dollar away!

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Mail out 512 football predictions (assume Raiders vs. Chiefs). On 1/2 put Raiders will win, on the other 1/2 Chiefs will win.

The next week, mail out 256 predictions to the folks who had the winner from the previous week (assume Giants vs. Redskins). On 1/2 put Giants will win, on the other 1/2 put Redskins will win.

The next week mail out 128 predictions to the winners (assume Rams vs. 49ers). On 1/2 put Rams will win, on the other 1/2 put 49er's will win.

At this point you have 64 people who think you're a football guru. Send them mail asking for 'x' dollars for your next pick.

This has been around for a while and will work with any sport. It will also work with stock. It was recently used on an episode of 'Ed' as well.

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

pick up someone's outgoing mail, photocopy the personal checks, and then wash them in a paint thinner solution

you then have a brand new check and a copy of the person's signature

although it's not like the signature matters, my Grandpa had someone pick up his wallet by mistake... he went all over town signing his own name for two weeks and no one noticed
    the bank cashed every single check

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why do people create elaborate scams that work well for years then push there luck until they get busted? I think after my first couple Mill. i'd pack it up and retire to a nice beach. Researching various grants then sending out mass mailings to "eligible" individuals. You then charge a fee for filling out the free grant papers-at least there is a shred of honesty to it, but sleazy none the less.

#6 KingCheetah, Oct 15, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2002
  7. lpbman

lpbman Member

for the same reason people scam in the first place

they aren't starving, they're just Greedy

8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

One of the most creative one's I have seen and it has been done many times...

A guy (let's say his name is Elvin Plato) realizes that he is like close to 7'0 tall or so. He pretends to be a basketball player and convinces people to pay him $42 million. He then disappears like a fart in the wind...

Sorry but I could not resist. BTW you could also call the guy Bat Baloney if you like that name better.

CK

9. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

heypartner alerted us to a pretty creative one in this thread.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

hehe...I was just going to recite that again AntiSonic. I can't imagine another better scam than that.

btw: what was your search criteria for locating that thread...."Anal sex" or "masochism"

LOL!!!!

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Actually, I got back 10 threads when I typed in "anal sex" into the search engine...One of those threads was in the game action and roster moves forum!

Uhhh...maybe I should spend LESS time here. :)

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How did he make the money?

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

I dont know if any of you guys listen to the Troubleshooter show on 740 in the afternoons, but I first heard about this on his show.

Its amazing that people can come up with something like this to steal money. Sometimes, it seems like the criminals in our country are smarter than everyone else.