1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Creatine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by armyman7894, Jan 7, 2008.

1. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

I'm considering taking Creatine for the first time because I've reached a point that my body just doesn't grow anymore and everything i lift just helps maintain my current strength. I know that Creatine is legal and many people take it but I'm hesistant to take it because of possible side effects. From what I've read, generally there aren't many side effects like there are with steroids. Only significant thing ive heard is that once you gain all the added muscle, if you dont continue using creatine you will lose your muscle very quickly.

Me personally, I play football and am trying to just get bigger because for some reason I can't build body mass anymore(past year and a half). I'm an extremely strong individual being able to bench 275 and squat 405 but weigh a measly 190.... And it is frustrating to see some of my own teammates use substances and taking an easy way out. If using creatine is generally healthy I figure I might as well try it.

I know that there are a couple trainers on this board and I wanted to know if any of ya'll have any experience regarding Creatine. If you've used it before please could you kindly share any changes that occured with you(good and bad).

All serious comments will be taken into consideration.

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Don't take it. You'll dookie all over yourself and your left testicle will swell to the size of a grapefruit.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Phosphate should help avoid the bloating.

Be sure to throw in some L-Glutamine.

Cycle on and off it so you can continue to break plateaus.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'm not a trainer but I'm pretty sure creatine isn't "generally healthy." From what I remember, if/when you stop working out...the negative effects of creatine start to kick.

5. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I thought all creatine does is add water to your body to bulk it up. I may be wrong, but I don't think it's worth it.

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Creatine is naturally found in your body and is used to carry energy to both muscle and nerve cells. Taking excess creatine allows for more energy to be carried into the muscles, increasing the amount of weight you can lift and thus increasing muscle mass. If you want to get bigger, there's not a safer or more natural way than creatine, other than protein.

7. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Creatine doesn't have any documented negative effects. It is one of the safest supplements on the market and it is extracted from proteins such as fish, so you could even say it is natural. There have even been some studies that show added health benefits such as reducing inflammation in the body and it has been used to help treat non-curable muscle disorders.

Creatine is safe. I've been taking it off and on for about 10 years now.

8. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Not true at all whatsoever.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

and look what it did for Desert_Rocket...

[​IMG]

10. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I started taking Creatine in the forms of "Cell Mass" and "NO Explode"

I'm at about Week 11 right now.

It has been a waste for me.

I've gained about 4-5 pounds in that time - some of which is muscle and some of which is fat.

I have noticed a decent amount of gain in my weighttraining... especially in the chest and tricep area.

I'm no expert but I did do a LOT of research prior to starting on creatine. This is the first time I'll cycle off in 2 weeks - but I do know that I drink 100-128 oz. of water per day and that a lot of the bulk up in the muscle is, in fact water retention.

11. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I forgot to mention that when I started lifting weights I was 6'1 and 175 pounds.

After 9 months I was at 180 pounds

3 months into creatine and i'm at 185 pounds.

This is not typical gain. You're supposed to get more. But I guess different bodies react differently.

12. Asian Sensation

Just eat more red meat and lift harder. If you're going to take anything just take protein.

13. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I took it for some time and got significantly bigger (which isn't saying a whole lot....not like I'm a body builder or something).

I also researched it before I took it. The only 'side effect' I ever read about was that its good for your heart in that it lowers your LDL cholesterol.

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

There has been some concern in the medical community that if you take too much creatine, it could cause your creatinine levels to escalate, which could possibly damage your kidneys.

If you are going to take it, be careful, and drink LOTS of water.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I know a guy who swears creatine gave him a permanent double chin that he can never shed. He isn't fat or anything either. But sure enough, there is a double chin.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I swear I read this and pictured Bill, Hank, and Boomhauer standing in the alley drinking beer and responding with "yup", "yup", and "mmmhm" (Dale, of course, made the statement).

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's been banned in France after they found it puts people at greater risk of getting cancer.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ya, the guys name was Rusty Shackleford.

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eat cheap ground beef. It's cheaper than paying for any supplements. Or just work out anyway with a good diet. Excess protein does NOT improve muscle growth.

20. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member