1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crazy to want Lamar Odom

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SuperKev, May 29, 2002.

1. WHADDAYATHINK

WHADDAYATHINK Member

Real ballpayers adapt ala Clyde Drexler.
    note:this is not a comparision.

2. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Some here mention that Odom can defend Kevin Garnet . . .

The only way Odom can defend Garnet is by breathing in his face and causing him to fail an NBA drug test.

Lewis can shoot a free throw, Odom can't.
    Lewis can hit the 3, Odom has trouble there.

He is the fit, I don't know if its possible to bring Lewis in, but I do know that we don't need a problem player like Odom.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

maybe i'm not reading the heiroglyphics correctly... are you insinuating francis, cat and odom are even remotely comparable to dallas' big 3? francis, maybe, based on athleticism and upside, but certainly not on where each of their games are currently, but there's not a GM in the nba, wnba, cba, any kid of ba, that would trade nash, finley and dirk for those three. come on....

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<i>but there's not a GM in the nba, wnba, cba, any kid of ba, that would trade nash, finley and dirk for those three. come on....</b>

2 years ago there wasn't a GM in the league that would have traded FOR a combo of Nash, Finley and Dirk. Times change and players improve.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

you mean besides don nelson?

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>2 years ago there wasn't a GM in the league that would have traded FOR a combo of Nash, Finley and Dirk. Times change and players improve.</i>

Hmm..let's see...two years ago:

Finley averages 22.6pts, 6.3 reb, 5.3 assists and had made his first all-star team.

Nowitzki was 22 years old, he averaged 17.5 pts, 6.5 reb and 2.5 assists. He was the runner-up for NBA's Most Improved player.

I'm guessing that there would have been a pretty good market for those guys, even if Nash hadn't blossomed yet.

7. SuperKev

???
    Ugh. Now we are trying to compare Odom and Nowitski...

Nowitski puts up All-STAR numbers - Here they are:
    This year Stats:

PPG 23.4 FT% 85.3 3pt% 40.0 Rebounds 9.9 Ast 2.4 Stl 1.09 Blk 1.1

Oh and just 1.9 TO in 39.8 MPG
    Lamar has 3.34 TO per 34 MPG

Odom is a joke compared to Dirk.

Why do all these people keep comin out of the woodwork that think LO is so great?

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The people on this board who love Odom are the local drug dealers who'll see an increase in their business.

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

To be fair to Gater, I believe that he was comparing those guys based on style of play, not neccessarily talent level. I think his point was that we'd end up a perimeter offensive team that didn't play much defense. Hence, the Dallas comparision.

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Remember when we were desperate to get rid of Pippen? We would have taken just about anything to move his sorry butt out. What if we were offered a #1 draft pick for him? We'd be ecstatic, that's what. Well, there's a similar situation going on with Odom and the Clippers. Because of his drug problems/underachievements, the Clips are really trying hard to get something in exchange for Odom, and I think they'll settle for a lot less than a #1 draft pick.

To trade the #1 for Odom would be a waste, not because Odom is a bad player, but because we can likely get him for much less.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Hieroglyphics? Perhaps you slept thru math class? "~=" means approximately equal to".

Here's another math symbol you may have missed while snoozing - ">" - this means "greater than" as in:

98 > 95 or 124 > 87

These are the scores of the 2 games the Rockets won vs the Mavs this year in splitting the season series.

More adept posters would have made the distinction. :D

12. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Actually drug problems/underachievements have nothing to do with Odom on the block. Odom & Brand are the top players on the team (ask LA), but Clippers have a major problem this summer. They cannot afford 5 max contracts (3 this year, possible 2 next year) and one smaller contract (Corey).

Kandi is the key to Brand resigning this year, and will ultimately effect Miles & Richardson next year.

So what do they do with Odom & Corey. According to most reports, they were going to pass on Corey this summer (like Kandi), and concentrate on Kandi/Brand/Odom. Problem is, they have more then enought SF's and since they played well without Odom, he is expendable (for the right price). Clippers are desparate for PG, and most agreee that Jay Williams could be the next Francis/Baron.

Odom's personal problems have done nothing but brough his trade value down and will only benefit the Rockets (if they take it). Before his injury, the Clippers would of Laughed in Houston face if we offered the #1 straight up. Now we have a chance to get much more.

13. SuperKev

Then you made a mistake using '~=' between odom and dirk. It would be more like Dirk >>> Odom.

If we must go for Odom, use some other means than the #1. IMHO he has dropped way, way down the ladder in value.

We could wait for him to be a FA and test the waters then, possibly do a Rick Fox type of deal.

14. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Odom Shmodom. Only way I'd want him is with something incredible like a trade straight up for Thomas. I doubt the Clips would do that for one... plus I'm not even sure how much more Odom would help than Thomas, but that's probably just me. I don't mind the idea of trading the first pick for something with a lot less question marks than Ming. If we could trade it for an established (good) center by some chance, that's the only way I wouldn't want to take the Ming Risk. I read an article saying that West was very very interested in the first pick - probably no more so than anyone else -, but is there a chance in hell we could pick up Gasol with 1 and maybe something else? I'm sure it's far fetched, but you don't use a number 1 pick to get Odom.