1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

"Crash the Party"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BrotherFish, Apr 15, 2010.

1. uolj

uolj Member

Just as an FYI, this isn't actually accurate. You're thinking about income taxes, but there are many other taxes, including taxes that come out of your paycheck. If you're talking about net federal taxes paid through the IRS, then I think the actual number is more like 24%.

[​IMG]

Click for more info

2. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

First of all, let me clarify by saying that I do have a few good friends that are Muslims. Even, my favorite restaurant is Mezban Restaurant —which is Pakistani.

However, I am trying to point out the double standard that is always applied to American by most first and second generation immigrants.

Everyone expects America to be a perfect Utopia or "Heaven" on Earth. And don't stop to think about their native country they left behind.

In fact, I have a lot of the same complaints about my India.

IMO, since we are talking about profiling, most of the Muslims that are very angry are first or second generation immigrants from a Muslim country.

I had a Arab friend who left back to his native country after 9/11--after a FBI visit to their house. I was like, ok, did they take you to jail or beat you? What happened? He told me that he is just scared, because he knows what happens in their own country when special agents come for a visit--so he panicked and left.

We are talking about how upset Muslims are with perceived unfair practices in America, but with all the unfairness, insensitivity, and cruelty in the most of the Muslim governments, I find it disingenuous that so much is made about some profiling in America.

However, these same angry group, when they go back to visit their homeland, deems it "that's just how it here" attitude in their own native governments.

Why don't Muslims in their native countries focus this same anger to bettering their own country by implementing even just the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights to their governments?

"Congress (My native country) shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

This is a universal right to all people on this earth give to all of us by the Creator--whatever name you happen to give Him.

I don’t know if I got my point across, but this is the "take the log out of your eyes" I am referring to first and second generations immigrants from Muslim countries.

IMHO, American is trying its best to be fair to everyone—sometimes it's just not practical.

What immigrants from Muslim nations and even India keep forgetting is that American national security has to be right 100% of the time, the bad guys (domestic or foreign) have to be right only once.

If profiling helps stop a suitcase nuke from hitting us, profile me all day long.

Stop being so paranoid and just talk to the security personal nicely and you will be on your way in no time. Anyway, this is how it works for me.

No offense intended to any religious or ethnic group.

3. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

Was only refering to Income TAX.

4. uolj

uolj Member

That's fine, but then what's the point of the 47% statistic other than to mislead? My guess is that you didn't intend to mislead, you just heard that 47% number somewhere and didn't know any of the details behind it, but used it to reinforce your beliefs anyway.

If you care to really understand that number, consider finding out the answers to these questions:
    • Did you notice the bulk of people who don't pay federal taxes are the elderly?
    • Do you know the percentage of total income earned by those 47% who don't pay income tax? Is it possible the 47% have a net $0 income tax because they earn just a tiny fraction of the total number of dollars earned in the U.S.?
    • What about wealth? Do you know the percentage of total wealth held by the 47% who don't pay income tax compared to the 53% that do?
    • Given the answers to those questions and the much more accurate number of 24%, does this information still back up your original claim?

1 person likes this.
  5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

BrotherFish, aren't payroll taxes = taxes?

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

That is the price of engaging in honest, fact based debate. It takes time and requires you to have an understanding of what you are talking about.