1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

"Crash the Party"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BrotherFish, Apr 15, 2010.

1. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

This one is too easy... ;)

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=184981

2. Steve_Francis_rules

You're (not surprisingly) missing the point. The point is not that stereotyping is occurring. The point is that compared to whites who do not support the Tea Party, white Tea Partiers are 36% more likely to think blacks are lazy, 24% more likely to think blacks are unintelligent, and 39% more likely to think blacks are untrustworthy. In other words, Tea Partiers are much more likely than non-Tea Partiers to hold racist, anti-black views.

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only word for this is AWESOME-

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Probably just a racist old biatch who overreacted to a black President. But remember, we're not focusing on stereotyping so it's ok for me to say that. :cool:

5. BrotherFish

Sorry, I will have to ask for the BBS's forgiveness in advance for my subpar writing skills. :eek:

After all, I am just a immigrant and English is my third language. And to make it worse--my degree is in engineering. :grin:

However, I would appreciate it if you could provide a "good link" to explain the usage of the quotation. ;)

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

http://grammartips.homestead.com/Generalquotes.html

7. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Makes you wonder how many TEA partiers would step back and think about what they're "fighting for" if they were actually fed the truth instead of Republican talking points. Or, rather, if they cared about the truth.

Their cognitive dissonance is certainly striking and astounding. I could support a third party because I loathe both major parties, but the TEA party is nothing but an extremist arm of the Republicans. It started that way, and it continues to be that way despite their claim of being "Independent" or not Republican.

8. BrotherFish

You're (not surprisingly) missing the point. Sadly, most ethinic groups holds "racist" anti-black views.

The only reason I don't is because I grew up in a hood with mostly minorities. Two of my best friends as a kid was black and the other half "Puerto Rican/Black". I happen to have dinner at my black friend’s house as often as not.

But, say you surveyed most Asians; you would find much more shocking results than your claim about white Tea Partiers. Sad, but true. :(

The only other point you could be possibly making is that it's ok to be Liberal and racist. But, it is not acceptable to be conservative and racist. :rolleyes:

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Link w/ Video or Audio?

TIA

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't need video or audio to prove that something happened. There are eyewitnesses including DC police, a civil rights hero, other congressmen, etc.

For you to insinuate a person who suffered beatings, and the humiliations alongside MLK is lying about this now, is shameful, at least for anyone with the decency and self respect to feel shame.

It's odd that with all the various other video and audio proofs of racism within the tea party you try to latch on to one of the dozen or more examples and discount the racism.

You use very poor reasoning skills.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My point is that the Tea Party lacking a central organization or coherent ideology is prone to being defined by the crazies.

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Does this make me b-bob's far more useful sidekick?

14. BrotherFish

Good tips. I will try to reduce my use of quotes. Thanks!

[10. SETTING OFF WORDS USED AS TERMS OR WORDS USED IN A SPECIAL WAY

If you are setting off a word by describing it as "so-called," then you do not need to enclose the word in quotation marks, as the word "so-called" serves that function already:

~Jenny couldn't believe that her daughter was being accused of keeping company with a so-called juvenile delinquent.

However, if you are referring to a word as a word or term (as I did with "so-called" just now and as I do with "vocabulary" in the next paragraph), then you will want to set it off either with quotation marks or with italics.

If there are many such references, italics are preferred because they create a much less cluttered look. And if the reader is likely to want to make note of "vocabulary" terms (as in a book or article on a technical subject), italics serve to highlight the important terms more effectively.

But for the occasional reference to a word as a word or to a word being used in some specialized way, quotation marks serve nicely.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

In short, yes.

P.S. Rimrocker join me or die, k thnx.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I don't care that racism exists outside of the tea party when discussing the tea party. The fact it is, it exists more in the tea party than it does outside of it. Look at the graph Major posted.

I also believe and have stated that I don't think the majority of tea baggers are racists.

But none of the racists in the Democratic party, or even the Republican party are invited to give a racist speech to open the official convention. Any racists in the other parties are made to leave or at least stand down. Stop acting like the tea party is equal to any other major political group when it comes to racism.

They aren't. They have demonstrated a pattern of racism, and supporting racists. They have demonstrated a pattern of not taking steps to rectify the racism in their midsts but instead to deny it and cover it up despite the fact that it is demonstrable.

Trust me if Democrats were going around doing the thing that tea baggers are doing, I'd be speaking out against them to, but guess what? They aren't. It's only the tea baggers doing it now, and rather than take steps that would move the discussion on to the issues they supposedly care about and away from race, they try to pretend like they are victims and the racism doesn't really exist in their group.

I will again point to the civil rights movement. They trained and were instructed on how to resist with non-violence in the face of oppression. Their marchers did so with admirable dedication. The tea baggers obviously have not done anything to instruct their demonstrators on what is appropriate and what isn't.

If you have examples of tea party officials actually trying to stamp out the racism in the group, by all means present it.

1 person likes this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I understand, but my point is that they formed a federation of various tea party groups to act as a central organization to fight something they saw as a problem for the movement.

The problems is that the federation was formed to fight a negative media image, rather than address the problem of racists in their group. They formed a central enough organization to have an official convention, and when they did the first speaker got up and advocated the polices used pre-civil rights movement to keep blacks from voting, and was applauded.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

it doesn't take reasoning skills to figure out which side of the dogs and firehoses the teabaggers were on in the 60's.

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

now this is crashing the tea party --

The Tea Partiers are being countered by a start-up group called "The Other 95%," which descended on D.C. on Thursday to protest "right across from Tea Party rally."

"Obama passed 25 separate tax cuts," Sheryl Stein, founding member of "The Other 95%" said in a statement announcing the group's plans, "including $300 billion in middle class tax cuts -- one of the largest in history - as part of the stimulus package. Unlike President Bush's 2001 tax cuts, which went to the wealthiest 2.2%, President Obama's tax cuts overwhelmingly benefit working and middle class families -- in fact, 95% of all Americans."

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CsyIQNJlyy0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CsyIQNJlyy0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Protesting against protesters.

Rallying against ralliers.

America rules.