1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crap.. what can I do?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SuperBeeKay, Jan 30, 2010.

1. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I'm a student at UT and I just recently signed a new lease with a group called Ely Properties at a property called the Texan Pearl.

Only did I find out today, that this Ely Properties are notorious for not returning security deposits and are terrible at maintenence requests and many people have tried to pursue legal action against them.

I found this on google and on facebook
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?c...feature&mcsrc=detailed_reviews&num=10&start=0
    That is one of 30 negative reviews on google..

Heres one from facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=search&gid=2211585064

I truly truly regret signing with these guys. We just signed a few days ago and I am looking to see if I can get my security deposit back and terminate the contract...

Are there any realtors/law people out there who can give me advice on what I can do and if there is anything that could help me and 3 roommates out?

Thanks CF...

2. YaosDirtyStache

Be as terrible a tenant as they are a landlord, and at the end say REVIEW ME BAD ON GOOGLE IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!

Ride off into the sunset on your pony, fist pumping.

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Member

I will say it like this. People go online and write reviews if they are truly pissed. If you go to a forum about a certain phone, 80% (pulled that number out of my butt) will be a complaint of some sort.

So what I'm trying to say is, You're only hearing the bad stuff about them. I'm sure way more people like them, than hate them.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Member

I was a property manager during my time at UT and I believe the owner ended up selling the complex I was working at to Ely. But here's a couple thoughts.

1. There really isn't a whole lot you can do legally since you already signed the lease. You can ask if they'll let you out since you haven't moved in yet, but more than likely, you'll be stuck with the lease. There is no harm in asking though.

2. The one thing I've learned about Apartment reviews is that people only tend to post negative things. The last 2 apartment complexes I signed leases with didn't have the greatest reviews and some of the posts were downright terrible, however, I ended up having zero problems and had no complaints. Just remember that there are hundreds to thousands of clients, so having some bad reviews are bound to happen. Hard to say that you "truly" regret signing with them until you have moved in, decent chance that you might have little problems if any at all.

3. Make sure you keep all of your documents/records. When you move out, make sure you give them a forwarding address and keep copies of lease, inventory forms, payments, etc...It's simple stuff like this that can bail you out should they try to pull a fast one.

5. BetterThanEver

1) Get a digital camera and photograph any damage and grime including the inside of the stove(old stoves are very dirty), and behind the fridge. If you don't have a digital camera, buy a disposable camera.It's best to have a timestamp on the photos also. Save a copy on your flash drive and PC. Do this before you put boxes and furniture in the place. They will prevent them from saying that you damaged the place, when you moved in. When you move out, just show the pictures and there should be no problems. Take additional photos of the same spots upon move out.

You must have both move-in and move-out photos.

Here is a lengthier article on how to protect your security deposit.

http://www.tenantunion.uiuc.edu/hb19.html

6. hjg877

hjg877 Member

If only this was NYC, where you could break a lease without penalty before moving in, even after signing a contract.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Your sig fails because you do not know how to spell Tracy.

8. BetterThanEver

lol. Thanks, I fixed it.

9. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Member

I think Texas allows for the right to rescind up to 3 days after signing on some agreements. Whether that applies to lease agreements, I have no idea, but it may be worth checking if it's been less than 3 business days.