1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3 should be the first domino we trade this offseason...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, May 12, 2019.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

[​IMG]

Trading CP3 should be the first of what should be a series of moves the Rockets make to improve their roster this offseason. As currently constructed, this team's trajectory is crippled with CP3's burdensome contract. What the Rockets should do is follow the Clippers’ model of trading an underachieving, over paid, injury prone diva to the basketball wastelands aka Cleveland. The Clippers did this back in 2011, when they decided to trade Baron Davis and a future unprotected 2011 first round pick to the Cavs for Mo Williams and salary filler. While it’s true that the 2011 pick did become Kyrie Irvin, the Clippers decided to risk the future and get out of the unreliability of Baron Davis by trading future assets in order to increase flexibility to build around their two young corner stone players Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan. The Rockets should follow suite and build around their current superstar James harden.

Trade Proposal:

CP3 and two future first round picks (one of those picks will be unprotected) and two future second round picks to the Cavs for JR Smith and Tristian Thompson.

While at first the trade looks awful, it would provide the Rockets additional flexibility to make future moves, (this free agency which has franchise altering free agents is the time to make such moves) and prop open James Harden title window which could currently be closed due to the Rockets current financial restrictions.

What do the Rockets get from this trade:

1. JR Smith’s contract is only guaranteed for $3.8 million. The Rockets could waive the remainder of his contract. As for the remaining $3.8 million, the Rockets could stretch it, thus making their books even more manage.

2. Tristan Thompson: Tristan may not be as good as Clint Capella, but he could provide the role of a stop gap center and make Clint Cappella expendable in trade. Thompson could also be a future trade piece as an expiring contract going into next season.

This trade would provide the Rockets with more options as they could now trade Eric Gordon or/and Clint Capella in various scenarios that could provide future picks, additional cap space, or sign and trade possibilities to acquire the talent they need to surround James Harden for a legitimate title run. -- It’s no secret that they need two-way wings, and this is the offseason to acquire them.

alcatrazpsycho and Why not? like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup go back to harden being surrounded by low ceiling limited players. and then when the postseason comes around, playoff harden reappears just like every year. home in the 1st round it is. cool, great plan

Sajan, topfive and RoyalGuard like this.
  3. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

Nope. I only move cp3 if it involves a superstar

J Sizzle, ak99999 and LUK3 like this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

For better or for worse we are locked in with James and CP3

right now its looking like its for worse.

Hopefully Morey can work his magic and we replace MDA with a coach who will save some wrinkles for the playoffs and let other guys do something more than stand in a corner and play defense.

metalshred, bballjunkie and ak99999 like this.
  5. lionaire

lionaire Member

delete this fam

javal_lon likes this.
  6. BigDikNENE

BigDikNENE Member

Not trading CP, need to help get him the ring. Shouldn't do him like that im sure he can have a great bounceback season with a whole offseason to get into shape.

ak99999 and jcf like this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I like the outside the box thinking. But giving up two future 1sts and two 2nds is a lot to get a good player off your books. This isn't Ryan Anderson we are talking about. That said, i like the outside the box thinking. this is not a terrible alternative for us. And i do think Tristan Thompson is a good player. Just not sure why Cleveland would do it.

Clips/Roxfan likes this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Great idea trade tristan thompson to the team where his wife's ex plays.
    We trade one of the smartest players in nba for the dumbest player in jr smith?

LUK3 likes this.
  9. astros123

astros123 Member

Cp3 is a low ceiling guy. He's fkin 34 LOL

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  10. Mr. Space City

Even if the rockets were to trade CP3, they’re not entertaining a trade with the Cavs that doesn’t include Kevin Love.

LUK3 likes this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, hardens best friend for the closest thing he has to an enemy. Ok

12. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

That would be an awful trade. They do that they might as well trade Harden and start over.

Why not? and Stormy1234 like this.
  13. BigDikNENE

BigDikNENE Member

man rather have CP than KLove thats for sure. think hes more injury prone too lol

14. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Dude that trade is trash , not even worth the post bro..

[​IMG]

topfive and juanm34 like this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

YOLO likes this.
  16. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I'm not sure this even works according to salary matching rules. CP3 makes 38.5 in 19-20. JRS makes 15.68 and TT makes 18.54 in 1920. Both Cleveland and Houston are over the cap so the salaries have to be within what, 25% of each other? 38.5 vs 34.22. Never mind, the salaries work. Why would Cleveland take on 4.3 million more, when they just got out of tax hell? Wouldn't taking on CP3s money cause them to run the risk of paying the tax repeater penalty at the end of 2021? Or earlier? I haven't checked to see if they'd pay repeater tax in 2020 after this proposed deal.

He's a 14/13 per 36 guy (I'm assuming the Rockets wouldn't even let JR Smith into the building, other than for his agent to pick up his 3.8 million dollar check), and he's an 18.5 expiring guy this upcoming season. Morey could do a lot with that. He could also do a lot with 2 1sts and 2 2nds. Who plays point while James sits?

I can't see either team doing this deal, but IMHO, it's not as utterly ridiculous as I thought at first.

Clips/Roxfan likes this.
  17. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Yeah dude. This is the idiocy CF has gotten to. Let's wait until they offer AD for CP3.

Why not? likes this.
  18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Very unlikely we trade CP3. The only way we trade CP3 is if he wants to go somewhere else. And another team would have to want him. It's a really bad look if a Morey dumps CP3 someplace he doesn't want to go. I don't see any other team willing to trade for CP3 unless he is totally in agreement. I don't see all these things happening.

It is what it is. I'm not really too bummed out about it. Morey swung for the fences and almost pulled it off last year. The Rockets are one of only a few teams that can say they have been a legit contender in recent years.

I think many Rockets fans are a little spoiled. Man, some of these NBA teams have been down so long you almost forget they are in the league. The Rockets have been relevant far more often than most teams.

Let's wait and see what Morey does. Sometimes a small tweak to the roster can have a major impact.

Patience likes this.
  19. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Why do people post these idiotic threads. There is no way anybody will take Paul until he's an expiring contract.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member