1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3 as a 2 year rental

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigSherv, Jul 22, 2010.

?

IS Chris paul worth it for two years if we know he is gone when his contract is up

1. Hell yes

240 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Pass

133 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Since the Rockets cant trade Lowry until December, any trade for CP3 prior to the start of the season will not include Lowry.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Either I'm not who you meant to quote or you misunderstood me. I'm all for having a great back up with Lowry and I see no problem with that. I was commenting on DaDakota's claims that if we acquire Chris Paul they're both as good as gone.

3. josh_is_white

josh_is_white Member

why would we get him we have 2 have the duo of brooks/lowry

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Chris Paul only played 45 games last season. He was healthy the two seasons before that, but he missed 20 games in 06-07 too.

5. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

6. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

^^^ sorry didn't read above, accidentally skipped the post that explained..typing this via phone

7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

While I never believed the rockets had any real shot at Bosh due to his lack of interest in the team, I do believe the rockets have a legit chance (albeit marginal) and should pursue attaining Chris Paul. The reasons being:

1 - Unlike Bosh, Chris is under contract for two more season, hence he has no
    real leverage in where he is traded to. NO will be looking out for NO if
    they trade paul.

2 - The Rockets have the assets to interest the Hornets... ie. NY picks,
    Brooks & the expiring contracts needed to absorb okafor & paul.

3 - Alot can happen in 2 years. CP3 may not want Houston now, but whos to
    say what will happen in 2 years. Not trading for Paul or any top 5 player
    in the league because they wont sign an extension which wont kick in till
    2012 is short-sighted. Thats like saying the Thunders should have traded
    Durant this offseason had he not signed the extension.

Like him or hate him, CP3 is a top 5 player in the NBA and any chance the rockets have at attaining his services, whether for 2 years or whether for more, is a chance they must take. especially when the costs are expiring contracts, picks that are unlikely to be top 5 and players that while good are unlikely to ever be in the conversation for mvp, all-nba let alone first team and are not (of yet) even all stars.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I meant to quote DD's statement that we wouldn't need Brooks or Lowry.

9. joesr

joesr Member

Can we afford brooks is the question?

10. joesr

joesr Member

11. joesr

joesr Member

12. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

The only way I would do it is if I was pretty darn sure I could lock him up. I wouldn't give away the assets it will take to get him if I didn't feel like he'd stick around. To get him, we will have to give up quite a bit of depth to make the money work and to beat the other deals out there.

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yes but?? Nevermind. I wish I mean.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Less talented Laker Team? Hell the only piece they added is an older & slower Artest (& subtracted Ariza). They won one with and without Artest. So he isn't the driving force!

Living in the past? Hey genius, they are currently the 2 time DEFENDING CHAMPION!

So you think the Rockets should trade all of this "GOLD" for a guy that has one foot out the door as soon as he gets here.

HE DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY HERE!

Hell New Orleans could just make him stay another year, year & half and the deal him at the deadline just before his free agent summer. He's under contract and there's no rush to deal much less to a team IN THEIR DIVISION!
    He's jealous of the Miami trio and wants to hand-pick his own team. Just how some of these guys are.

All of this speculation reminds me of those yahoos "guaranteeing” that the NBA & endorsements made Lebron to N.Y. a slam dunk. Well go to Miami and ask him what happened!

CHRIS PAUL TO THE ROCKETS IS A FANTASY!!!!!
    GET OVER IT!

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Jeez. Some of you are working just as hard as the people who try to get Superstars here all the time to thwart anyone from coming here. Are you guys on other teams payrolls? Its almost like half want to win Championships here and get guys who can do that and the other half screaming them down all the time trying to make us not get players capable of that. Trying to keep us stuck with the same team because your so content with 5th to 8th seed like we are protecting our status as bottom of the playoff round dwellers. I dont get that mentality at all. Even if a player does or does not want to come here it shouldnt hurt our egos to try and get them anyways. I dont get it really odd. Unless some of us work for the fron toffice and trying to quiete the crowd from getting their hopes up? That makes sense??? OK. I can live with that. However the others who join in against every single player we talk about as upgrades is kind of counterproductive to team improvement to me. Which explains the perpetual stuck in place syndrome. Nobody to blame but ourselves.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Everyone wants H-town to win but hell man at some point you got to be realistic about what's going on.
    Ranting and raving about guys who've specifically named other places they'd rather be is just asinine. Besides are you going to get the best from a player who'd rather play somewhere else?

Look at what you have! You've got a backcourt that can really score and an all-star center returning who commands ALOT of attention. A ton of good role players around these guys and a veteran coach. AND GUESS WHAT! THEY ALL WANT TO PLAY FOR HOUSTON! These guys haven't played together yet so WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FINISHED PRODUCT IS. You don't start bringing in guys who have an agenda other than winning; if you do you're guaranteed to fail.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Youre guranteed to fail already. its already a recurring theme for several years now what kind of team we can expect with Yao as our best player. We can hope someone gets hurt in the playoffs and we beat them and then maybe get a favorable Finals matchup at best. Its alwasy proven every year that Martin and Yao will fall apart at some point in this season. I am not predicting a gurantee. Thats just the trend every year. Its almost as close to certain as it gets.

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am not too keen on it being Brooks we lose any any trade. If anything I want it to be either Martin or Yao to make sure we solidify a position with a solid player who doesnt get injured at least at one of those positions. Yao and Martin are too shaky like Yao and Tmac for my liking. its gonna be the same results I hate to say it. Brooks should realistically be the one we can depend to build around because he has a good history of staying on the court honestly and then get other around him and Ariza if possible.