1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3 as a 2 year rental

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigSherv, Jul 22, 2010.

?

IS Chris paul worth it for two years if we know he is gone when his contract is up

1. Hell yes

240 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Pass

133 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

rep for you, friend

2. hmittal

hmittal Member

If we get him we need extend him as part of the deal 5 yr max deal. He is defenitely worth giving up Brooks, Battier, Buttinger, and whoever else they want. CP3 is an allstar point guard plays excellent defense and can dish it out. I say forget rental but he should be in the Rockets long term plans.

3. emoizzy

emoizzy New Member

CP3 is an awesome player but I would stick with our point guard tandem. Less risky and who knows maybe Aaron could show that he really can pass the rock with all the weapons that are around him

4. MadMax

less risky because maybe aaron could develop to be as good as CP3, one day? :)

ummm..i'm thinking acquiring CP3 is less risky than hoping our current PG can be that good someday.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If you get CP3, you give up Brooks and Lowry...no need for either of them.

DD

6. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

Not worth it IMO. Roll with what we have, our guys WANT TO BE HERE..Thats enough for me to stick with our guys.

7. MadMax

why don't you still need a backup?

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Two years is a very long time. A lot can change. If New York is terrible the next two seasons, but Houston is a contender - I have a sneaking suspicion Paul would change his mind and want to remain a Rocket.

I know you're not a Chris Paul fan. You've made that clear over the years. I also know you adore Aaron Brooks. But please refrain from making absolutely absurd statements. Chris Paul has a history of injuries. We would DEFINITELY need a strong back up. Lowry would remain.

9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

rent to own?

10. hmittal

hmittal Member

Dude CP3 is a slam dunk! There is very limited risk. Even if AB can dish it out his defense still sucks. CP3 plays great defense tough minded player! Morey would do it in a heartbeat if the trade becomes available to the Rox.

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

why would you trade your assets for a guy who wouldn't stay in your court for more than 2 years..? I don't know, I don't like this deal.

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

NO!

/thread

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Because AB and Lowry will split a lot of the PG time, but CP3 would play 40mpg, you don't need as quality a backup as Lowry is, you could get by with Ish Smith for 10 minutes....

Lowry would be wasted and way to expensive if you have someone like Paul.

DD

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Again, you're completely ignoring Chris Paul's history of injuries just to scare off people who can't bare the idea of losing both Brooks and Lowry. You absolutely need a quality back up with Chris Paul. Further, the Hornets already have Darren Collison. They would have no need for both of our point guards. It would have to be a three way deal if we were to move both of them.

15. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

kinda dastardly if true. nice debate strategy tho ...

i'm struggling with a search for Paul's "history of injuries". care to expand?

16. herro

herro Member

If we kept Lowry we wouldn't have to play CPtriple 40+mpg. I'd prefer to hang onto the best backup PG in the league.

17. Htown's2kFinest

have to agree with that. trade Lowry for a player we would need more. sign Ish and we'll have a wakeforest PG tandem.

18. Htown's2kFinest

scratch that.^ Forgot though that Lowry has a trade restriction so he'll be on the team for the time being.

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Paul averaged 38 minutes/game last season while Brooks averages 35.6. What's the difference? If Brooks and Lowry can play together then why not Paul and Lowry? Too much of a defensive improvement for you?

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

chris paul is averaging 69 games played a season. so you can count on him being out for stretches of time. he only played 48 games last year.

this team will NEED a backup point guard. besides lowry has to stay because we matched. he cannot be traded for a year or something right?