1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cowboys, Skins lose cap space (everyone point and laugh)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DieHard Rocket, Mar 12, 2012.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd like to take this opportunity to point and laugh at at least one of the most arrogant owners in sports (can't speak much to Snyder's arrogance)...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...from-cowboys-skins?module=HP11_headline_stack

Thanks for the extra cap space, Jerry and Dan!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My understanding is this created about 3.2 million in cap room for every club. Is that correct?

3. DieHard Rocket

PFT is saying $1.6 million.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I saw it as being half that. Oakland and Saints not getting the extra space - I wonder if they had minor violations in 2010.

5. justtxyank

What I heard was 1.6 million for each of the two teams, so 3.2 in total.

6. emjohn

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ps-cowboys-redskins-of-millions-in-cap-space/

So I *believe* the Texans now have a virtual cap of $122.2M, very slightly above last year's.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

LOL, so much for the redskins being big players in this year's FA.

8. DieHard Rocket

Apparently they can divide up the penalty however they want between this year and next. I can easily see the Redskins ignoring it this year to add pieces for RG3 and next year being screwed with no cap room and no first round pick.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

LOL! Just saw this on ESPN.

10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

11. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

Skins will move this hit to next year since they will only have 80 mill on the books and the cap will increase. Still sucks.

12. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

RG3 better cross his fingers.

13. Hak34

Hak34 Member

This is about as funny as David Stern screwing the Rockets.

This is actually an offense thats probably about 10 times as worse as what David Stern did.

The Cowboys and Skins broke no rules, the contract restructuring was approved by the NFL at the time. And if they had a problem with it, why wait a year basically two days before free agency and stick it to these teams.

To me this is a seriously stinker of a squeeze by Goodell. If Im the Cowboys or Skins, Id seriously think about suing. Its way more a reason than what Stern did to the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

They were warned in advance and still took advantage of the cap less year.

15. DieHard Rocket

Not sure, but I think it might have had something to do with the new salary cap figure just being released within the last couple of days. Apparently the Cowboys and Redskins were warned "at least six times". It's a matter of ethics, really -- technically the moves were legal, but they compromised the competitive balance of the league.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

At least you know your owner wants to win . Can't say that about all owners.

17. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

From PFT:

As the saying goes, salary cap shenanigans make for strange bedfellows. Or something.

Arch rivals on the field, the Cowboys and Redskins find themselves facing the loss of millions in salary cap space ($10 million for Dallas, $36 million for Washington) for allegedly treating the “uncapped year” of 2010 too literally. In statements issued only minutes apart on Monday night, both teams stated that they at all times complied with the rules.

“The Washington Redskins have received no written documentation from the NFL concerning adjustments to the team salary cap in 2012 as reported in various media outlets,” Redskins G.M. Bruce Allen said. “Every contract entered into by the club during the applicable periods complied with the 2010 and 2011 collective bargaining agreements and, in fact, were approved by the NFL commissioner’s office. We look forward to free agency, the draft and the coming football season.”

Said the Cowboys, through a spokesman: “The Dallas Cowboys were in compliance with all league salary cap rules during the uncapped year. We look forward to the start of the free agency period where our commitment to improving our team remains unchanged.”

18. justtxyank

I don't even say how the league could do this.

So the collective bargaining agreement (before it expired) allowed for a year with no cap but the league had unwritten rules to prevent teams from using the lack of a cap to help their team? That sounds like it would have to be a violation of the collective bargaining agreement.

19. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

and collusion.

Basically, the teams wrote contracts, the league approved them, and then said they didn't like them.

20. emjohn

After calling for months for the Texans to take advantage of the uncapped year, I personally remember, clear as day, that word came down that any major cap hit moves would be carried forward later. I'll try and find it, but this isn't a punishment as much as a known repercussion.