1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cowboy looking to become a Cougar!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ryan17wagner, Jan 26, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Former Texas A&M All-America and Dallas Cowboys linebacker Dat Nguyen visited the University of Houston today and interviewed with coach Art Briles about joining the Cougars' staff.

Nguyen, who retired from the NFL last year, toured the football facilities and the weight room. Nguyen, who in 1998 was named consensus All-American, Big 12 Player of the Year and won both the Bednarik Award and Lombardi Award, would fill the void created when safeties coach Clay Jennings left for a similar position at Baylor.

If hired, Nguyen would coach inside linebackers with the staff being reshuffled to fill the open safeties position.

Nguyen, 31, was a four-year starter at Texas A&M, where he led the Aggies in tackles all four years and is the career record-holder for consecutive starts (51), tackles (517) and tackles per game (10.7).

In 1999, he was drafted by the Cowboys in the third round (No. 85 overall), becoming the first Vietnamese player in NFL history.

Nguyen is a graduate of Rockport-Fulton High, where as a senior (1994) his 188 tackles earned him District 30-3A Defensive Player of the Year honors and his punting skills earned him second-team Class 3A All-State honors.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4502806.html

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That would be awesome. I always liked Dat. I always liked the guys who don't seem to have all the physical tools but who play smart and get the most out of what they do have. He'd be a good addition to the Cougar staff.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

always hated the aggies.

always hated the cowboys.

always respected the hell out of dat.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

wow guess that guest worker program is already paying dividends for Bush cronies!

/sarcasm. yes i know i am slighting him because he's viet. it's a joke, laugh. please.

5. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Isn't there a possibility a UH Cougar Wade Phillips could be coaching the Cowboys.

I just hope the Cowboys don't pick Kolb. It would be real hard to cheer for him. My loyalty lies with the Texans win or loses unlike UT Alums.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I think it's great. I'm with MadMax. Never liked the teams he played on, but always liked Dat and respected his game. He might just make one hell of a coach.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I saw this story when I was in Houston this weekend...pretty cool...

8. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Great punter.

9. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Why did he retire so early? I'm inclined to think it was due to some wierd injury as opposed to him being all washed up.