1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Covington on trade block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SRR21, Jul 4, 2019.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yeppers, 2 1s is 2 much. No, not like Jimmy Bucks. Better synergistically than Jimmy Bucks.

Adding Iggy for Shump-change and heavily protected 1 is ok by me.

D-rock and Gray_Jay like this.
  2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

He'd certainly be cheaper than what Butler got. I'm up for straight swapping Gordon for him.

I can see Iggy coming here, but that better not be their only move. Plus, I do not like what I'd read here was something like 34 over the next 2. Yet spotrac has him as expiring after this year's 17 million dollar salary. Is there a player option for 20-21?

I just dread his coach turning into a pumpkin, midway through this season. Plus, how're we getting him, and will that method handcuff the Rockets from adding anyone else?

3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Take some 1 year rentals. Hawks would take Clint. Eric Gordon and pick for Covington. This is a blockbuster trade.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yymsevcd

Get Covington, and trade bait with expiring's near dead line , or buy out for cap room.

Looks like it makes us worse, but we could open up some big time cap for next year, and or trade those 2 contracts near FEB Deadline. This is if houston could snag Mcgee now...

#163 Le$$, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You want to trade both Clint AND Ego for Covington and a pick? That's a pretty shitty trade...

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I believe it's 1-and-done; of course, how he comes is indicative of how I, or even a sane person, would react to his inclusion on the '19-'20 NBA Champion Houuuuuston Rock-ets.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Only if Mcgee signs on, it would allow houston to generate bunch of cap space, for next summer or, trade it out near deadline to really upgrade your roster for this playoffs. Evan turner is not a bad bench player.

7. chenjy9

Supporting Member

And what is your plan in the time being... for Harden to take over Ego's 15-20 PPG and however much Covington+McGee can't cover of Capela AND play in a much more reduced space due to Ego's absence? Both Ego and Capela were our top 2 or 3 player last season. This means we will in turn have to rely on Harden even more than last season OR rely more on CP3, Rivers, and House which is dicey at best.

clutchdabear likes this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Every team knows Morey is desperate. We won't have any leverage so we'll have to give up many picks.

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Covington steps up, and we generate cap space. You want a 3rd star come deadline?. Those 2 contracts could make it possible just saying...

10. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Oh man, Covington would be perfect for this team.

D-rock likes this.
  11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

So could Ego and Capela. I know a lot of CF posters grossly underestimate him right now, but the rest of the league doesn’t. Ego is a 15-20 PPG on a good contract. I would rather just trade Ego for Covington.

12. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

It's years too late to trade for Igoudala.

fattz likes this.
  13. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Me personally Mcgee can do what capela does with harden here. Covington would explode with the 3pt shooting. And houston gets 2 expirings, 2 players in Turner, Crabbe who could help out till the deadline off the bench. I for one would take the chance to get the cap space. Just me.... Probably not gonna get past lakers or utah with the team now. Just saying....

fattz likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree. But if Covington trade not available then who could be the next Covington?

RHJ? Stanley Johnson?? Blossomgame???

15. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I agree. But two firsts is a steep price to pay.

16. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I’d be happy with either but two first seriously hurts future flexibility. I think that they are pretty comparable players. It just depends on what you’re willing to pay for one or two seasons.

17. fattz

fattz Member

IDK. That is why you pay to bring in Covington. He is our fit. The others don’t have the 3 point spacing that Covington brings.

18. fattz

fattz Member

You are right the roles will change; House can score in this league and as the 6th man he will. Hartenstein has a nice outside game, too. We will see Clarke’s game expand off the movement in the offense with Paul. We will look different, but be better than many may except. The talent is here and with sets being run, understanding personal responsibilities, required expectations being met the sky is the limit because we have both Harden & Paul.

#178 fattz, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Covington did not have 3pt range either until putting in work for years.

Stanley J may have the most potential.

That does not mean I don't want RoCo, just spitballing if it doesn't happen.

If Rockets had kept RoCo over KJ Daniel's they could have fielded a lethal MDA offense with switchy Bzdelik defense:

Harden/Lou Will
    EGo/Bev
    Ariza/Dekker
    RoCo/Papa Nick
    Capela/Trez

#179 D-rock, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  20. fattz

fattz Member

Sure, I understand but the time to develop is limited because we are win now —> age & health.

I am all for bringing in both. Will he sign a multi year veteran minimum type deal though? He is coming off of rookie scale so maybe a pay cut but still a paycheck for him. The Rockets don’t need to groom him and not benefit from our time spent.

D-rock likes this.