1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19/Coronavirus NBA Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Maromi, Mar 2, 2020.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The season is done.

2. omgTHEpotential

I don't know who's behind this insidehoops account, but he is clearly missing the entire point.

amaru, Juxtaposed Jolt and lnchan like this.
  3. noize

noize Contributing Member

This is not looking too good.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...rus-fears-our-sports-blackout-may-ncna1160061

Best case scenario would be to eliminate the remaining regular season games and start the playoff before July. Even then this is a complicated matter.

1. Will there be fans in attendance and if not, where will the games be played if there is a "neutralized" state (No AWAY/HOME game)?

2. How will the playoff format and the number of games played change? I doubt we will see a seven game series prior to the Finals.

3. Will there be a test on-site?

4. Also need to consider the player needs to be "re-conditioned" to play extended basketball again. How many weeks will they need?

5. Will the player and coaches are even motivated to play deep in the summer with all of this predicament going on?

This is all too hard to predict and is all depended on how well we are able to contain the virus within the next month.

#143 noize, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't hold your breath. I hate to be so negative. But we are heading toward being the next Italy.

When the world was reeling with the plague, our politicians were busy campaigning and in-fighting instead of joining force to fight the coming disaster.

amaru and daywalker02 like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Morey has Susan Polgar, but Kasparov is offering his services to Giannis... time for Morey to up his game and be friends with Magnus Carlsen or something. Can James play chess? We can't let this happen! :D

6. Maromi

Maromi Member

Man, I CANNOT believe I started this thread two weeks ago...how has it been only two f'in weeks from this "uh, hey guys, who knows...maybe there won't even be a playoffs" message, to the hellscape we are all living in now.

Can't wait till the day this is all in the distant past (or I wake up from this very lucid dream).

In the meantime folks, be healthy, be kind to each other, and be well.

7. JumpMan

Can anyone explain why the NBA and other sports leagues are trying so hard to not cancel their seasons and lose the money attached to them? It's as if they are living paycheck to paycheck. Why not cancel all current competitions? In the meantime, they could re-air their best games in an effort to keep their motor idling, so to speak, until they can rev them up at the start of the next seasons.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Because business. These people don't work to live, they live to exceed. Money isn't the goal, it's a product.

There's also the trickle-down of every single person who works for these franchises that DO live paycheck to paycheck. There are some owners who do care about them and want to keep them fed and housed.

9. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

because it is all about money, cancelling the season, meaning the owners would be losing hundreds of millions of dollars for ticket sales, ad revenue, related sales, tv broadcasting company would be losing even more, and everybody's 401k as well

Houstunna likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Players get 51% of the pie, so it's a big deal for them too

edwardc likes this.
  11. gotsis

gotsis Member

Not to mention it would suck to have a year with no champion. Although I obviously am in favor of only having the season return if it's safe to do so.

12. JumpMan

I get the money aspect now in terms of the mentality of rich people being rich because they refuse to let money making opportunities pass them by and they really don't want to lose any money. From my mindset of having enough saved to get me and my family through a hard six months, I just didn't see it.

But I ain'grat worried about the season and not having an NBA champion. Lakers were going to win anyway.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. VanityHalfBlack

Do you know if NBA does Video on demands? Like if I wanted to watch the 2 peat season of the rockets is that stored somewhere? Cause I know UFC and WWE does that for past events and such.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It’s insane how in the day and age of social media, everyone thinks they’re an epidemiologist.

We’re nowhere even remotely close to being another Italy, and even suggesting that is not only moronic, but it’s a dangerous spread of misinformation that is leading to things like toilet paper being missing from super markets.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not trying to spread misinformation. This is just my conclusion after having read some credible reports. I used to be on the "do not overreact" camp just a couple of weeks ago. The US is having all the signs of what Italy was experiencing a few weeks ago. If you think this is not serious stuff, then you are misinformed.

And this has nothing to do with toilet paper. The hoarders were misguided not about the epidemic, but about what they needed to do to help counter it.

gotsis and Deckard like this.
  18. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's like the world has gone stupid.

Yes, we have to be cautious about the spread of this virus. No, the world isn't ending. There's no need to panic buy goods or hoard.

BigShasta and J.R. like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member