1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don’t think he even read what he shared. He just googled “Covid numbers” and posted a link.

From the link

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Which is more entertaining; the idiot or arguing with an idiot.

The mask arguments are tiresome. Can we at least compromise and insist extremely high risk areas like pharmacies and Dr offices should be permant masked and social distance areas?

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pretty. I want them all. What will the Omega variant look like?

Two Sandwiches and Ubiquitin like this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I give a **** about your ivy pedigree. I am very happy for your success.

JayZ750 and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Anyone remember what that effect surgical masks had that helped improved filtering? I saw a vid on here before about particles colliding and improved filtration because of brownian(?) motion.

It becomes less and less effective as you reuse the mask

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Somone gets it

Astrodome, JumpMan and Mr. Brightside like this.
  7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

Interesting. Corporate finance, huh? Very unlikely. Statistics? Mmkay. What is the o with the line sticking out of it. Finance? Mmkay.

[​IMG]

What's the one part missing that was there in "Earnings before Interest, etc..."

And I showed you data. Not news feeds. As anyone in finance, you should know how to analyze data.

#1. It's "your"
    #2. Behave like an adult in a question like this to expect to be treated as such.

All of these personal insults prove how much of a losing fight you are in.

****ing children on here...

#12948 Roscoe Arbuckle, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Fatty you get drunk, act like a dipshit on the internet, and expect other people to not get irritated. Then when they do get irritated you act like it's their fault. :eek:

FrontRunner likes this.
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

There are levels. I've no qualms talking BS about random nonsense. This is different. This is affecting my bottom line and pretty much any of us who don't thrive on the online world; which I just found out were considered "essential workers" by John Stossel.

With this? I've been following along, with several friends of mine. Mostly highly intelligent.

Here are the facts.

We were told to lockdown to slow the spread for two weeks
    2 became 6 weeks
    Masks, shutdowns etc. for two years

By now we have all been exposed to Covid. SARS came up through our sewage in 2002 and that was also Covid.

By now we have either had it, had symptoms, or we were asymptomatic or immune.

Vaccines do not stop spreading or help one not get it.

Based on that, who gives a **** who is unvaccinated? Anyone can still get it regardless.

One of my friends, who works in a hospital as an X-ray tech manager, floated to Dallas and was told she had to be fully vaxxed. She, like myself, had never done any lockdown etc. We'd been around thousands in the past year. But they forced her to take it.

She was bedridden for a week. And again, she'd already been exposed.

This whole thing is **** and the longer it goes the more messed up our lives become.

#12950 Roscoe Arbuckle, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  11. Roscoe Arbuckle

I look at the data, kiddo. Much like Fauci finally admitting that Covid hospitalization rates might be overstated...

I'll let you look that up.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The very major study done in Indonesia that you linked showed a minor decrease in transmission and the study was completely BEFORE Delta hit Indonesia. The headline was misleading and it's misleading to simply say face masks protect from covid. Cloth masks do next to nothing. Surgical masks protect a decent amount. Additionally that study didn't just adjust for mask usage they also promoted social distancing and better covid education. They stated their observational data showed no benefit for greater physical distancing when adjusting for mask usage. So make of that what you will.

Additionally, they theorized that 100% surgical mask wearing would increase protective benefits up to a 32% reduction in cases. Is that "highly protective" as the headline said? I don't think so, but it is some protection. That said when you are dealing with a virus as contagious as the newer variants of covid it effectively amounts to very little to no protection.

"The results in all specifications are the same: we estimate a roughly 9% decline in symptomatic seroprevalence in the treatment group (adjusted prevalence ratio (aPR) = 0.91 [0.82, 1.00]) for a 29 percentage point increase in mask wearing over 8 weeks.1 In the second column of Tables 2 and S7, we split our results by mask type (surgical vs. cloth). We find clear evidence that surgical masks lead to a relative reduction in symptomatic seroprevalence of 11.1% (aPR = 0.89 [0.78,1.00]; control prevalence = 0.81%; treatment prevalence = 0.72%). Although the point estimates for cloth masks suggests that they reduce risk, the confidence limits include both an effect size similar to surgical masks and no effect at all. (aPR = 0.94 [0.78,1.10]; control: 0.67%; treatment: 0.61%)."

"We find clear evidence that the intervention reduced symptoms: we estimate a reduction of 11.6% (aPR = 0.88 [0.83,0.93]; control: 8.60%; treatment: = 7.63%). Additionally, when we look separately by cloth and surgical masks, we find that the intervention led to a reduction in COVIDlike symptoms under either mask type (p = 0.000 for surgical, p = 0.066 for cloth), but the effect size in surgical mask villages was 30-80% larger depending on the specification. In Table S9, we run the same specifications using the smaller sample used in our symptomatic seroprevalence regression (i.e. those who consented to give blood). In this sample we continue to find an effect overall and an effect for surgical masks, but see no statistically significant effect for cloth masks."

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. Roscoe Arbuckle

More than happy to take an IQ test with anyone. Money would need to be placed.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/18/proveit-trivia/

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Getting ready to head back to the US from Singapore. Taking the reverse route I took to get here, going through Zurich and Amsterdam. I was thinking a week ago that once I passed the week of tests in Singapore that the hard part would be over. Not likely. Switzerland, Netherlands and the US all have new requirements. Took a PCR test this morning (still waiting to get results) to go to Zurich and Amsterdam. I'm only in Zurich airport for a couple of hours but the Swiss still require a negative PCR test along with proof of vaccination. The Netherlands are still largely shut down but have added a new testing requirement for travelers from Non EU countries in addition to proof of vaccination.

On top of all this the US requires a negative test WITHIN ONE DAY OF TRAVEL FOR ALL TRAVELERS REGARDLESS OF VACCINATION OR IMMIGRATION STATUS. That means even US citizens returning have to test. Since it's within one day the test I take here in Singapore doesn't count and have tot take another test in Amsterdam.

All of that said given the weather in the US and having to leave all of the amazing food in Singapore I'm tempted to just claim I tested positive. Unfortunately if I do they won't just let me be in Singapore but will quarantine me with the first few days at a National Health Center.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At least I didn't go to Hong Kong this trip. They are still requiring Americans and people from several other countries to do a three week quarantine with the first four days spent at special COVID treatment and observation centers. According to my dad these are basically detention centers.

For those thinking about going to the PRC that is effectively closed. Was talking to some German students who were supposed to go to Shanghai as part of a program on International Law but said that the PRC is blocking their entry so instead they are spending some time in Singapore before going back to Germany.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jontro likes this.
  17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You're trying to have a nuanced discussion about the types of masks, sizes of impact, and p levels. That's different from the argument going on before.

robbie380 likes this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Fly to Mexico. Walk across border. Fly domestic to Minneapolis. Minimal tests required.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh yeah forgot about this thread. The need to discuss this topic kind of waned. I know what I need to do to stay safe within reason.

Anyways.

Uncle in his 50's in decent shape. Died of Covid. Funeral tomorrow. Part of some anti-vax church.

Yall stay safe.