1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Major

Major Member

Keep in mind we got pretty close to normal this past summer before Delta - Biden essentially declared victory over Covid, people who were previously masking had largely stopped, people started openly traveling again, eating indoors, sporting events returned to normal, almost all restrictions were lifted, etc. We got to under 10,000 cases per day, people thought it was over, and moved on. So it's not like government has some kind of desire to stay in or return to crisis mode - it was dictated by the data and has resulted in dropping popularity for the mayors, governors, and federal officials pushing it so its clearly not by choice. But one side very much data and knowledge driven in trying to keep their people alive, despite what the other side would like you to believe.

If Omicron proves not particularly deadly over the next several weeks and hospitals are managable, I suspect you'll see the same return-to-normalcy by end of January or into February. You already see it in the lack of new restrictions - most everything the government has done has been voluntary recommendations or continuing with already expanding vaccine mandates. Very few, if any, localities have closed indoor dining again or restricted holiday events, etc.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You are just making things up. There is no credible person that would say vaccinated person could not transmit the virus. Having the vaccination doesn't guarantee you won't get covid.

rocketsjudoka and Surfguy like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, yes, that's what we say now becuase that's obviously true, but a year ago you'd be banned from social media for "spreading disinformation" if you pointed out that vaccinated people could still spread covid....you're helping make my point. The narrative has changed quite a bit over the past year.

For example, the official Twitter policy once was to ban people for

[​IMG]

Now of course, they've since changed the policy.....but that's my point. What was labeled "false or misleading" one day is obvious fact the next. That's the kind of thing that kills credibility and it needs to stop.

Hell, Biden was still making the claim that vaccinated people could not spread covid less than a month ago....the narrative shifts so fast it's hard to keep up sometimes.

jcf likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A bit more background on the screenshot :

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/twitter-ban-covid-vaccine/

5. Roscoe Arbuckle

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, they lied about it, and pretended it was never the policy after being called out after the narrative was thoroughly debunked.

It's just funny to see how quick things go from praising our great ally Eastasia to "we've always been at war with Eastasia".

jcf likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’m not sure what the free states are, etc. and catastrophic is all relative.

but isn’t it true that “red” areas have gotten Covid and had impacts from Covid, including death, at much higher rates than “blue” areas??
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health...isinformation-trump-counties-covid-death-rate

Much of that might be (seems likely but just a guess not sure what the data/science shows) purely a vaccination difference and speak less to the “freeness” being allowed or culturally accepted, but I think it’s worth noting that, especially at the extremes, for whatever reasons, it has been more catastrophic in the free’er states.

I’d also note that I believe the data pretty clearly shows masks work, and obviously “good” (n95, surgical better than cloth) work better.
    https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210907/masks-limit-covid-spread-study

I only point this out because the mask thing is the strangest thing to me … it’s literally no big deal for 99.9% of people to wear a mask. Annoying at times sure. But otherwise a non event which 40% of Americans have freaked out about as if they were losing their ability to vote. It’s confusing.

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

Lol. What total bullshit. You do know that the largest people averse to vaccinations are black and latino, right?

Also, the vaccine was developed under the Trump admin with studies showing that 95% of people over 50 have been vaccinated.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It was CDC guidance on when fully vaccinated people were told they could remove their masks indoors. We were basically told it isn't a problem because vaccinated people cannot transmit to vaccinated people.

So many twists and turns of info, bad public messaging, and just horrible guidance decisions.

jcf likes this.
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

There has never been any correlation on masks and Covid. None.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. Even from the very early days of the vaccine release they were always termed to "largely or highly effective" against the disease. While there was a lot of talk that the vaccines would prevent the spread I cannot recall any doctor or anyone else in the epidemiological community claiming that the "vaccines would stop all transmission". I recall many even back last winter still saying that vaccinated people should continue to mask and social distance.

Deckard likes this.
  14. JayZ750

you’re just making random comments. The data says what it says. The NPR article (cause that’s the next line to attack “oh… NPR they’re not unbiased!!!!”) isnt the only one. It’s literally just data. And not complicated, “lying” data…. Simple data… infection and death rates vs county voting in the last presidential election.

15. JayZ750

this is the largest study to date. Over 340k people were included. It’s conclusions are laid out in as simple terms as possible.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210907/masks-limit-covid-spread-study

Where do you get your info from? Facebook? Oh wait forgot who I was talking to … the dude that still uses Facebook.

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Ah. No. I follow actual data.

I've followed this nearly two years. There has never been any correlation showing a slowing of the spread due to masks or lockdowns. None.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1102816/coronavirus-covid19-cases-number-us-americans-by-day/

What do you do for a living, exactly?

#12936 Roscoe Arbuckle, Jan 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  17. JayZ750

18. Roscoe Arbuckle

Again, what line of work are you?

I look at data for a living. Looks like you read articles.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

They’re setting up free COVID testing in San Leon tomorrow at the old Gingers. First time I’ve seen this here.

20. JayZ750

I’m in corporate finance. Also majored in statistics, finance, mgmt and anthropology (from an Ivy League university not that it matters or I ever mention it cause no one gives a ****…).

I read articles, data, studies, etc.

It’s embarrassing if you are in data. You’re response to the study that proved you wrong was data that in no way showed anything that you thought it did. Yikes!!!

but then again we all know how dumb you are.

there are countless studies … and.. SHOCK, articles referencing those studies, showing the effectiveness of face masks with Covid.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/surgical-masks-covid-19.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7883189/

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02457-y

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavir...entific-studies-that-explain-why-they-do/amp/

But again we are all 1,000% sure you get your info from FB. You seem to be always posting about Facebook lol.

My personal opinion is that you’re dumber than a bag of rocks. But I feel sorry for you more than anything. You’re one bender away from throwing nude pics of some teenage daughter of one of 7 “chicks” you’re supposedly banging (“guys, which one should I choose, I can’t decide!?!?”) up on FB, bragging about it, claiming it’s a ok because of some cockamamie excuse and then passing out in the middle of an In N Out meal. Sorry, that’s offensive and rude but absolutely no one here would be shocked in any way to see that happen. Is it relevant to this conversation? Only in the sense that no one should be listening to you about anything, unless it’s for comic relief.