1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Next up...Covid Optimus Prime.

2. Major

Major Member

I'm still not sure what that has to do with whether it's named Omnicron or Xi, which is the post you were responding to.

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

It's ok. Let's revisit in a year.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hate to break it to you, but cancer is here to stay too.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't attempt to mitigate and treat it, or make little changes like not building buildings out of asbestos or eliminating second hand cigarette smoke exposure.

5. Roscoe Arbuckle

We don't try to change society based on cancer.

Your argument is invalid.

6. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

So you smoke in airplanes still? And your house is protected by asbestos insulation? And you still make sure you only drink root beer made illegally with real cancer-causing sassafras? Etc. Etc.

Sweet Lou 4 2, ElPigto and CCity Zero like this.
  7. cdastros

cdastros Member

8. CrazyJoeDavola

Oh I wouldn't go there with Fatty. You are asking for it...........

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Actually I was a 21 year habitual smoker. Quit in October of 2009. My Dad was so proud of it that he Quit 6 months later. Chantix.

He died of Stage 4 lung cancer 5 years after. I still cough up lungs.

Found out last year that Chantix exacerbates cancer. Took 15 years to figure that out.

You are sheep and need to figure that out.

10. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Totally was the Chantex/quitting smoking that killed him. Not the fifty years of pack-a-day.

Do you have a doctor-uncle that told you that the link between cigarettes and cancer isn't real?

You never fail to amuse and bemuse at the same time.

#12670 Ottomaton, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  11. Roscoe Arbuckle

My Dad passed away at 68. Please joke about it, you childish moron.

And look up the definition of moron.

12. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

You're the one who brought him into the conversation. If it's too sensitive...

As far as I'm concerned, you used him as a political tool, and put on a ham-handed case of faux pearl clutching when I responded to you. Typical glass jaw Fatty. You sure can dish it out, but God help anybody who responds in kind

#12672 Ottomaton, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Chantix doesn't increase cancer risk unless you take it for far beyond the recommended time period of 3-6 months. Feel free to read up on it. Hope the prior smoking doesn't get you too.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't know Fatty's exact point, but the bottom line is America is an EXTREMELY physically unhealthy society. We generally aren't trying to change that. The main push (in my opinion) is generally for acceptance of it than fighting against being unhealthy.

Higher body fat is linked to higher cancer risk likely due to the lifestyle choices that go along with someone having higher body fat. We are also a society of binge drinkers and there is nothing in the works to try to stop that.

I completely agree with your point that we have banned some things that do cause cancer, but there are a mountain of other things that do cause it that we complacently ignore.

Anyhow I see I've made my contribution to derailing the thread this evening lol

Sajan likes this.
  15. Roscoe Arbuckle

Lol. This isn't info that's readily available. re: lawsuits.

I took it for 2 3/4 months. Haven't smoked in 12 years.

Were you an habitual smoker for 20+ years? Like I haven't researched it, you idiot.

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Life expectancy is going down, and has been for over a decade. Oh, and the highest LE? Unfiltered cigs and heavy fats in our diets. You should research...

I've posted the WSJ article about this years ago. These things are hidden for a reason, and none of it is to our benefit.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with cancer is so many things cause it including things we need like sunlight. While we should certainly ban things that are shown to have a very high likelyhood towards increasing cancer we'll never get rid of it because as long as our cells divide there will always be a chance for cancer. What's going to matter more is mitigation and treatment.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In Mid December I'm going to Singapore to see my mom for the the first time in two years. I'm going through Amsterdam. The latest news about Omicron showing up in the Netherlands is making me nervous as I'm worried Singapore might cut off travel from there.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Chantix reminded me of Prilosec and those classes of drugs. They are fine if you take them for their recommended periods of time but often times people don’t. You start getting serious side effects with long term use. All classes of prescription sleep “aids” are another one. There’s tons of prescription drugs that are insidious how they grab a hold of you.

I was one of those people who got physically addicted to Prilosec and took it for a few years. It was nearly torture some days when I was weening myself off it.

My aunt was being prescribed it for years and it can significantly increase dementia risk. She was actually taking a couple other drugs for long periods that increase dementia risk as well. She has dementia now and is rapidly deteriorating. Who knows if it’s connected but when she got referred to another doctor he took her off those meds.

Anyhow…with all that I’m just trying to say I’m not a fan of big pharma and I get your point about us not discovering major side effects to drugs that seem benign until YEARS later.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hope you’re still able to go. It seems very likely this variant is already widely circulated.