1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You should take it because the science backs it up. The person touting the vaccine is simply an agent to spread the message.

You're missing their point which was if Trump was saying to get vaccinated without science backing him up, they wouldn't take the vaccine (I'm with them regardless of who the President would be). Not sure why that is difficult to understand. There is no irony.

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

It's not worth belaboring the point. I feel like you are moving the goalpost to fit your argument, but it's all good.

There's been a ton of stupidity all the way around, I'm sure we can agree on that.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not moving the goalposts one bit. Yep there is an incredible amount of stupidity.

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. Roscoe Arbuckle

My friend, who has been in hospitals her entire career, was made to get fully vaccinated to work in Dallas. She feels like she's been violated; especially now that variants are becoming the norm.

The World will never be vaccinated. It's time to stop people pushing this.

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Chair of South African Medical Association says Omicron cases are mild so far, but it's too soon to the determine risk of severe disease (msn.com)

• "It may be it's highly transmissible, but so far the cases we are seeing are extremely mild," the chair of the South African Medical Association told The Guardian.
    • Scientists are still waiting on more data to determine if Omicron poses a greater public health threat than Delta.

"It may be it's highly transmissible, but so far the cases we are seeing are extremely mild," Angelique Coetzee, chair of the South African Medical Association, told The Guardian on Friday. "Maybe two weeks from now I will have a different opinion, but this is what we are seeing."

OmegaSupreme and robbie380 like this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I fully agree with health care professionals being required to get vaccinated. Nobody paying thousands of dollars for health care or surgery should be put at risk of being infected with something that could kill them by those they are paying to save their lives.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The vaccination debate is almost certainly NOT about a fundamental right.

We know this because (1) it falls squarely on political lines. Which also often fall squarely down lines of education and wealth. Not universally of course. There’s lots of people in the world of varying degrees of opinions. But republican red is more likely to be antivax and come from predominately less educated and lower income areas just looking at maps.

we also know this because (2) … well it’s a hypothetical, but I think we can all agree that if the only impact of Covid was it made men no longer ever able to pop a boner naturally with meds or otherwise … we’d have a vaccine mandate immediately and nobody but a small group of women would complain and the men in charge would tell them to stfu while Gym Jordan pushes vaccine passports so he can continue to allow sexual assault and Marjorjam whatever pushes vaccinations so she can still boink dudes from her gym.

in other words, it’s not a fundamental debate, it’s just a “we think we know best about this particular disease because we have Facebook and twitter but we’re going to frame it in a fundamental way cause of course we don’t know **** really” argument. Lol.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

just saw this. If true….. FANTASTIC!! And also, fantastic that it makes some sense scientifically.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This would be by far the best outcome. I'm also assuming that we react accordingly if it does truly turn out to be mild and don't freak out.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I cancelled my booster appointment. I don't want to feel any more lousy than I already do.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea. We'll know in 2-3 weeks.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How did we go from "Delta" to "Omicron"?

Did I miss the Epsilon through Xi variants?

Omicron is like 10 letters after Delta in the Greek alphabet.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Omicron Theta is the horrific site of the Crystalline Entity attack in which all living things including down to the smallest bacteria colonies were killed.

17. Major

Major Member

There are other named variants with many of those names - just not dominant strains. They skipped 2 letters though - Nu (confusing with new) and Xi (avoid antagonizing China). Lots of people seem pissed, but if Trump or Biden or Merkel or whatever were Greek letters, I would expect the WHO to avoid those too. It seems like something that does no harm and avoids creating global antagonism.

18. Roscoe Arbuckle

Let's look back at this in 1-5 and 10 years from now...

You care to bookmark it? I will.

19. Major

Major Member

Sure, feel free to a reminder. I'm not sure what you think will happen or how you think the world would be different if Covid Omnicron were named Covid Xi.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Covid is here to stay. Our reaction is our disagreement.