1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. Prayers for him and your whole family.

2. cdastros

cdastros Member

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I am so sorry. We're here to help.

...when he is better, sue the **** out of the other parents.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What's the point of this? If you get covid and you aren't vaccinated then get monoclonal antibodies. Pretty simple.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The UK did another study of memory B cells and T cells 8 months after infection and 95% of individuals have the covid fighting memory B and T cells. They also saw memory B cells continued to increase from 1 month to 8 months post infection. Antibody levels were not predictive of B and T cell response either.

Very disappointing our FDA has come out with such a strong and strange stance against the robustness of immunity after infection. Certainly doesn't help to create trust when they are taking a stance that just seems to be flat out incorrect. He went over Israeli data as well that is contrary to this FDA stance. Immune response after covid infection appears to be stronger than that from 2 vaccine shots. When I saw the FDA's comments I was extremely surprised to say the least.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This so why so many healthcare workers are being made to be the enemy and being fired with the vaccine mandate.

Many contracted covid when caring for those patients in the early days of this before there was a vaccine. People were so thankful then. Now, those same people, who have a fairly strong immunity from it (when compared to the vaccine, especially) are being singled out and fired for not wanting to take the vaccine, which has it's shortcomings for sure. And now they're the enemies.

Funny how things work.

(I've been vaccinated by the way)

If there's any sort of mandate, it should be for teachers. They're far more at risk than healthcare workers, or just about any other occupation. Especially when you consider their circles are so wide by the nature of their jobs.

On top of that, if the government is mandating, why are they not mandating Moderna, which is proving to be the most effective vaccine.

The answer? It's all about the monnnaaayyyy.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Our healthcare system is overwhelmed. Pills are easier. And cheaper. And quicker. And don't require access to a hospital or antibody center. Most of the world doesn't have access to monoclonal antibodies. What is hard to understand about this? If it were that easy, Covid wouldn't be killing 1500+ people/day right now in the US, let alone the rest of the world.

#12547 Major, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  8. Major

Major Member

It's weird that you believe 1 or 2 studies should override the many other studies that show very different results. And after being repeatedly wrong for 1.5 years, you continue to make these kinds of bizarre claims as though your google research is somehow superior to other experts. How many times in 2020 did you point to a your own handfuls of days of data to show that Covid was ending or hospitals were going to be fine or other dumbass things that proved to be completely incorrect?

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm happy to look at anything that indicates prior infection yields worse protection than vaccination. Feel free to share something if you have it. I haven't seen anything yet.

I'm very happy to adjust my point of view and I have adjusted it as I've seen new data.

#12549 robbie380, Oct 2, 2021
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I didn't see estimated pricing on these pills, but it will be surprising if they are cheaper. I'd guess they'd be somewhere in the same price range. I doubt most people in the world will have access to this drug, but maybe you are right and it will be a very cost effective way to treat covid. I can't think of any new drugs that were cheap without being massively subsidized by governments.

Is there any indication that this treatment is any better than cheap steroids that are given already? I think they have a pretty solid track record as well. Do you agree?

....edit: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2021436

I guess dexamethasone only benefits patients who were already receiving some sort of respiratory support and not cases that were not that severe....

And monoclonal antibodies have to be given relatively quickly after infection. Meaning the patient can't sit around and treat covid like it's the flu and then have it spiral out of control and expect MCAs or simple steroids to work. I haven't seen any data on how many days people wait for treatment after being infected with covid and how that in turn leads to a more severe case or death....hope that makes sense. This would be similar to the case of my dad who was vaccinated and who very likely died from the secondary effects of covid. He didn't want to go to the hospital or get treatment until thing had spiraled to a very dangerous point.

#12550 robbie380, Oct 2, 2021
  11. Two Sandwiches

I've heard the it can yield equal protection, or approaching equal. I've not seen where it yields greater. But if they're similar, what's the point of the vaccination. Especially when we don't have a clear estimate of the length of protection either provide.

Where the most protection is, though, from what I've read, is an infection and one vaccine.

All this furthers the thought that blanket mandates are stupid, imo.

Admittedly, I don't know the research behind the immunity though. Not the recent stuff anyways.

robbie380 likes this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Sorry to hear about your dad

robbie380 likes this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I kind of get the point of view of the govt and doctors wanting to discourage people from waiting to get infected with covid rather than getting vaccinated preemptively, but it would be nice if we could have sort of official status for prior infection. I don't get why it's completely ignored. Get a t-cell test and combine that with a prior positive covid test. Seems like a decent plan but I am an idiot on the internet.

I've had covid and I've had 1 vaccine shot. I haven't seen anything that shows I need to get a second and I had some pretty decent side effects from my first. Like you said I've seen that seems to provide the most robust protection.

In the case of my gf she developed hives after her first shot and she's had covid twice. The CDC site says to not get a 2nd shot if you develop hives during your first shot. She went ahead and got her 2nd shot because she needed to travel to Canada. Luckily the allergic reaction did not get any worse the 2nd time.

I agree the blanket mandates seem a bit lazy.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Mandates work. Vaccines work. People live nearly *twice* as long as they did before vaccines.

15. Two Sandwiches

Apples to oranges, for the most part.

I agree with blanket mandates that are going to completely eradicate a virus. Even then, if you can only get said virus once, there'd be no need to mandate a vaccine on someone that had it.

This "vaccine", though does not provide enough immunity to thwart the actual virus. It just lessens the side effects. It's really not much of a vaccine at all, in the traditional sense, which is why I put it in quotes. It's keeps you from dying. And to a very very small extent, makes you less likely to spread it.

The mandate is going to screw hospitals over even more. I know of multiple OB departments that have shut down in New York or are on the verge of shut down..and that'll continue to get worse potentially.

Many of these nurses have valid reasons for not wanting the vaccine. They should be able to make their own medical decisions. Months ago, they were heroes putting their lives on the line caring for people, exposing themselves daily (pre-vaccine). Many got covid. Some died. Now you're going to fire them, while exacerbating hospital shortages on already over packed hospitals? Way to have their backs....

Many of these people are suffering from compassion fatigue. Let's have compassion for them and understand where they're coming from...

#12555 Two Sandwiches, Oct 2, 2021
  16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

"Keeps you from dying" is a big f-ing deal. 700,000 dead people into this, I am surprised that this isn't hitting home with people.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very sorry to hear that and hope your son recovers soon.
    Sadly your story is too common and there will be many more stories like this.

18. Two Sandwiches

It should be. I agree. But you have to realize where some of these people are coming from. Many in the hospitals that don't have the vaccine have natural immunity. Those that don't, but simply don't want the vaccine for whatever reason, are playing a game of chicken. But I'm not going to argue with them for being dumb.

And I also don't believe in interfering with someone's will to die, but that's a different thread....

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Regarding the natural infection versus vaccination my understanding is that the problem with natural infection is there is way too much variation about the amount of infection and immune reaction from a natural infection. With vaccination the stimulation of the immune system is controlled and timed for the optimum result.

The biggest issue of natural infection though is the chance of getting severe COVID or dealing with long hauler problems. With the vaccines the chance of severe side effects are very very remote.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This isn’t a matter of someone’s own will to die but that infected people could still transmit it to others and that even the unvaccinated are still entitled to emergency care.