1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I sought out the Moderna, to be honest.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The mask mandate is for people who either can't get vaccinated because of immune compromised or for people who fake the vaccine card.

To be honest I don't think the mask did that much considering you could take them off while drinking and that a lot of people were taking them off anyway and there was little social distancing especially on the main floor. That said the majority just from my POV did appear to be wearing masks.

This issue of freedom is frankly misunderstood. "Freedom" has never been do what you like whenever you like. Under the thinking of people like John Locke who are the philosophical underpinnings of our Constitution, 'Freedom" doesn't even exist unless there is a structure that can protect people's rights and look after things like the commons. As such from the earliest days of this country there have been laws and regulations that infringe on the absolute individual liberty for the societal good. For example there were quarantines for diseases and even Washington required his soldiers to be inoculated against small pox.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...lpox-epidemic-with-controversial-inoculations

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

I agree with the masks, and I hear what you're saying. I'm just of the opinion that we should have freedom of choice as long as we're not breaking laws. My main point of that, though, was that I think vaccine passports don't work, and they infringe upon rights.

As far as the small pox vaccine goes, that was a volunteer army service, as far as I know.l, but either way, not the majority of Americans. Also, small pox killed between 20-60% of those that contracted it, and 80% of children. Plus, there was no medical care. And it was more contagious.

Seems a virus that kills whatever it is, .01%, .1% of it's contractors, shouldn't be compared.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The "mandates" that the Biden Administration are doing and that private businesses such as the Theater I saw the show at are voluntary. Constitutionally it is very unlikely we can force people to take the vaccine or to show proof of vaccination but can compel. Me going to see a live concert isn't a right so certainly the venue or even government could put in a requirement that I have to provide proof of vaccination to go the show.

This is why if I want to take a commercial airline I have to take my shoes off before I can get on the airplane. Flying isn't a right.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

you luck out ! J&J sample size is still pretty small though so the eff number might not be that reliable. There are folks, and I know of one, that are scared to death of needle but want to vaccinate. J&J is a godsend for them.

6. Two Sandwiches

I don't disagree with you. My point is that governments imposing mandates like that could potentially cripple already crippled businesses. Not only that, but do we even know they're effective? Certainly I've seen no evidence that a vaccine passport does anything but make people feel better.

Biden is not presenting his mandate as voluntary. Although technically, you can opt to take a test every week or whatever it is. I honestly don't see what the big deal about being tested every week is. If you're that opposed to the vaccine, I don't see why having to get tested once a week would drive you to quote your job.

In fact, I've maintained testing is the key all along. We should be testing constantly. It's the only way we will ultimately curb the numbers, imo.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was hoping we could agree that the Rockets wear red.

Amiga and Two Sandwiches like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The color red is a quack.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I just don't understand the ignorant or uneducated who will believe seemingly anything to avoid getting vaccinated only to end up on their death beds regretting it later. If someone on the radio or Internet told you eating your own sh_t would cure your Covid infection, then I would hope you would have the common sense to not believe that. But, I have to wonder. I want to feel bad for these people but I have a hard time because all they had to do was get a couple of shots...like we do for other things like the flu, measles, etc. . How you come to a decision you would rather take your chances with getting sick and being hooked up to a ventilator until you likely die is beyond me? The vaccine couldn't be a worse gamble than that outcome. If you would just believe science and the real news, then you would be fine. But, you got to go with these alternative news sources and social media for your "facts". Good luck with that.

10. Two Sandwiches

I think people just don't take it seriously enough because the numbers are relatively low. They think it won't happen to them, but inevitably, it happens to some. I also think some of these people quit caring before the delta variant ramped up, and as we've seen throughout this entire thing, people have a hard time adapting their beliefs.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

It’s crazy that they trust people with degrees in communication more than scientists.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

13. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I feel like there were similar discussions when smoking indoors was banned. Would you tell people who were afraid of second hand smoke to just leave the buildings or find another job?

14. Two Sandwiches

I could get behind that analogy on mandating the vaccine, but not on vaccine passports. That'd be like saying you have to have a card that says you don't smoke just to enter a restaurant.

Also, if you banned indoor smoking, but still allowed a small minority to smoke indoors, but only filtered cigarettes. That would be more like this analogy.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Que? My body doesn't spontaneously bust out a cigarette and start smoking because the table next to me started smoking.

Nobody is advocating we should allow knowingly sick people to enter public places.

I am very much in favor of banning people in public places if they have any kind of contagion. Hospitals and dr offices do not even segregate contagious people. This is how incredibly stupid this whole debacle has become.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is pretty much how I view this thread.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Nice trees, wish more streets were like that

Buck Turgidson and robbie380 like this.
  18. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'm so tired of all of your drivel. The world will never be fully vaccinated. There are still people out there who don't have a polio or measles vaccine. We don't worry about it because we are vaccinated.

This vaccine doesn't work. Most who are getting the Delta Variant are the ones who are vaccinated; which shows the point. This isn't a vaccine. It doesn't keep you from getting it.

The contagion has been out there now nearly two years. We've all been exposed. SARS, which was a very similar variant, went through plumbing, so the concept of lockdowns and masks is beyond ludicrous.

And, by the way kids, this vaccine was completed during Trump's admin, and we have recorded footage of both Biden & Harris saying they wouldn't take the vaccine...

I'm done. I've learned nobody cares what the data shows.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We care about what the data shows

We just don't care about what you think the data shows

[​IMG]

CCity Zero and peleincubus like this.
  20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Data: It's science, but with factual data!

Dumbass.