1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

If that makes you happy, good for you.

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

You're trying to stir **** up, as usual. Do yourself a favor: Quit trying to get likes here and live a life.

#12022 Roscoe Arbuckle, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Yet you keep responding because you want attention. Damn with your BMI it takes work to be drunk posting by 10:30am. Gotta respect the hustle.

Space Ghost likes this.
  4. Roscoe Arbuckle

You're trying to stir **** up, as usual. Do yourself a favor: Quit trying to get likes here and live a life.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

You got me in a corner now mr popular.

Space Ghost likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Hilarious coming from you

Sajan, Deckard and Ottomaton like this.
  7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Since Fatty mentioned polio ended looking up why that vaccine program was so effective, well other than for that we globally have agreed to take the vaccine. The short answer is enough time, effort and money was poured into understanding polio and developing a vaccine that would stop infection, transmission and disease whereas for COVID the vaccines to point only prevent serious disease / death.

Though we’ve cycled through many kinds of public health interventions in our struggle to stop Covid-19 from spreading, mass vaccination is now the primary means through which we’re aiming to end the pandemic for good. Given this, more than ever we need to be studying mass vaccination campaigns that proved successful. The most astounding of these by far was polio—an eradication effort more than 70 years in the making that, thanks to a new vaccine model, may finally come to an end. In this article I’ll explore the research behind this vaccine in greater detail, not just to elaborate on why it is so impressive, but to delve deeper into its lessons for the current crisis.

Of all the diseases to cause global pandemics in the past century, the only we’ve truly eradicated in humans so far is smallpox. But the prevalence polio, thanks to vaccines, has been reduced to a small sliver of what it once was—at its worst in the late 1940s, infecting hundreds of thousands and paralyzing more than 35,000 people a year. As of last year, when the polio case count in Nigeria officially reached zero, the only wild-type poliovirus that remains in circulation is in Afghanistan and Pakistan, where the majority of contemporary immunization campaigns are focused. Unlike SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, the poliovirus exists only in humans, meaning it can’t come at us sideways from an animal reservoir. Even so, parallels exist between the two that are worth considering as our conversations begin to shift from short-term to long-term immunity.

One lesson from polio we must take into account is the importance of distinguishing between a vaccine that prevents disease and a vaccine that prevents transmission. The struggle to eradicate polio drove home the fact that different vaccines elicit different types of immunity, each with its own set of implications for public health. The current generation of Covid-19 vaccines, created by the likes of Moderna and Pfizer, prevents serious illness and death, as evidenced by their enormous success in clinical trials. But whether they will stop transmission is currently unknown.

The distinction is an important one, in some cases a matter of life or death. The inactivated polio vaccine created by Jonas Salk in 1953 is able to prevent disease—that is, the onset of debilitating symptoms like paralysis—and trigger a long-lasting antibody response that can remain in effect for many, many years. But it doesn’t prevent infection or transmission through the nose, mouth, or gut, which is why it wasn’t effective at wiping out the poliovirus altogether. People vaccinated with it could still shed infectious virus. It was ultimately the live-attenuated oral polio vaccine, an invention of Albert Sabin’s used for the first time in 1961, that made the largest contribution to global eradication, not just because it was cheaper and easier to administer, but also by virtue of its ability to prevent the holy trinity of infection, transmission, and disease. How it elicits such powerful immunity remains somewhat a mystery, but its efficacy cannot be denied.

Another important distinction exists between SARS-CoV-2 and poliovirus that is equally instructive. For both viruses the roots of transmission are similar but different. For polio, it’s mostly gut-based but also nasopharyngeal; for Covid-19, it’s the opposite, mostly through the nose and mouth but occasionally the gut, characteristic of respiratory viruses in general. That we still need an annual flu shot is proof of how difficult it has been to develop vaccines capable of engendering long-lasting immunity against respiratory viruses. One reason why is we simply don’t know enough about their immunology more broadly—a gap in our knowledge we’ve had opportunities to fill, but whether for lack of interest, funds, or infrastructure never did.

Intimate knowledge of viral mechanisms of transmission doesn't come easy or cheap. Our near-global eradication of polio, as well as our deep understanding of how the poliovirus works, is the product of many decades of research dedicated not just to polio specifically but molecular biology, gene manipulation, and advancing biomedicine at large.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willia...r-controlling-covid-19-polio/?sh=15f2b0874ee1

#12027 arkoe, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Unless you get it and pass it on to a kid who is too young to be vaccinated.

9. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

the unvaccinated will act as a Petri dish within which future, more dangerous variants will emerge. It’s unfortunate that we have so many that are unable to grasp this incredibly simple fact.

plates300, Sajan, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Hospital systems in hard hit states are overrun. This is because of covid and it’s indirect impacts, principally on staffing levels. This impacts everyone and will have long term impacts as well on our healthcare system.

masks work.

the vaccines are unequivocally safe and effective. Not 100% guaranteed no problems or 100% guaranteed to prevent covid especially new variants but clearly clearly clearly effective and safe. There’s been nearly 5 billion covid vaccine doses delivered worldwide. It’s no surprise that the current problem states are least vaccinated.

original obviously is more impactful on older patients and those with underlying health issues. Delta obviously is more transmissible. Certainly younger kids and younger people seem to be getting it more than original covid. But outcomes differences still tbd. Doesn’t seem to be worse necessarily but certainly a higher viral load can be worse and clearly outcomes are much worse without the vaccine.

obviously kids under 12 can’t be vaxxed yet.

long covid obviously isn’t as bad as death… but is completely under appreciated. Estimates are 10%-30% of infections result in long covid. Again the worst the infection seems to be the worst the long covid odds but there’s also shocking research that even mold covid cases can cause some long covid like symptoms.

I personally struggled with chronic health issues for a year plus after an incident and it was the worst.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-hidden-long-term-cognitive-effects-of-covid-2020100821133

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...th/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2109285

plates300 and B-Bob like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Speaking as someone who makes a living trying to communicate science to people, I'd say this fact is not simple. It's pretty complicated to tell someone that if they catch a mild case of a virus, they help keep it alive, replicating, and mutating. Just the very fact that a virus can hit someone else harder than it hits the person typing a BBS message is already too complicated for some.

Maybe we need a better analogy. This virus is like a crazy ex-girlfriend. You think it might not be worth the trouble to really cut her off from all communication, but then she will keep finding new ways to make you and your friends and anyone you try to date miserable.

CCity Zero, mikol13, JeeberD and 3 others like this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You making a living saying stuff like that?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, moestavern used to make a living posting on this forum Lulzt. (I know his cronies will report back to him)

13. B-Bob

We’ll, not like that, no. I get the not very good crap out of my system here. Lulz

ElPigto likes this.
  14. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yeah... My son already got it. Had very mild symptoms and was over it in a few days...

15. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

So every other kid will react the same way as your son? Did he have the delta variant? What about new variants?

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

"Delta Variant" has shown to be far less deadly. About as deadly as the flu. But he had the actual first batch several months ago. Can't recall if he was 21 or 22 when he got it. I posted about it here and was just as worried as I am now.,

17. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Since you are staring simple facts maybe you can enlighten me. wouldn’t a break thru infection of a vaccinated individual mean that the virus has mutated to overcome the vaccination of that individual thereby creating a new variation that could there fore overcome other vaccinated people as well as the unvaccinated?

Not sure why an unvaccinated person, who is already susceptible to the current strains would create greater mutations of a virus that has manipulated by gain of function to be best in class as it isn’t competing to overcome the unvaccinated immune system in its current form.

seems to me the vaccinated getting infected would create mutations to overcome the the effectiveness of the vaccine for survival creating evermore dangerous strains to everyone.

18. B-Bob

I know you're not asking me, but people don't create the mutations, per se. If two people contract COVID, their vaccination status doesn't affect viral mutations very much. The vaccinated person might have a lower total viral load and carry it for less time, and that would give the virus fewer chances for mutations, I guess.

But my main point is that mutations naturally occur, with roughly the same percentage chance every time the virus infects a new cell and uses that cell to make copies of itself. Errors occur in that replication, as I understand it, and those errors are mutations. Once in a blue moon, that random mutation might be beneficial to the virus. When a mutation is really helpful for the virus doing its thing, that new variant can start to dominate.

So 100% vaccination would drastically cut down on transmitted cases (though it would not eliminate them, we know). Fewer cases would mean fewer human cells get infected, meaning fewer rolls of the dice for the virus to naturally mutate when it tries to make copies of itself.

Likewise, 0% vaccination drastically increases new human infections (and even reinfections, which do and will continue to happen). More cases mean a lot more human cells get infected and many more rolls of the dice for new mutations.

We're somewhere in the middle of course. Logically, a lot of us are suggesting that more vaccination is better if you want to slow down the number and rate of mutations. But the virus in one form or another is here to stay. Some of us just want to really slow it down and minimize the damage to life, economy and healthcare. We want to roll the dice less often and decrease the risk of a mutation that could be especially bad for us.

JumpMan likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Mutations occur randomly and what survives and thrives is a function of in the virus’ case what’s most transmissible. The delta variant started in India in I believe October 2020 really picking up speed thereafter. Lots of people, lots of unvaccinated people, lots of virus, lots of random chance for mutation.

the end goal for the world is herd immunity. That happens either naturally - everyone gets sick - or with the help of vaccines. The faster we get there, the less virus will be out there available to randomly mutate.

20. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Appreciate the responses B-Bob and Jazy750. I find the dumbo fixation for lack of a better word by so many frustrating when compared to a seatbelt or the polio vaccine. Which in its first iteration did not overcome the virus until ten years later with the advent of the live virus.

My biggest concern is getting to the X number of years to get to a true vaccine that Stone Cold stops replication and spread. Which I feel is a long way off seeing as the magic mRNA vaccine progress for 15 years was never able to achieve the desired results safely.

In closing I feel the politicization combined with black listing and name calling has created a bigger issue than if facts were simply placed out there without an agenda. I only have Nextdoor stopped FB years ago and to see Nieghbor’s wish for the death or denied care of the unvaccinated is horrifying. Not to mention the loss of rights that is replayed 24/7 as the dial is cranked to 11 on the fear scale.

I believe this should be a unifying moment in history as we had supposedly learned lessons from the great Red Scare ect. Guess I long for the old days when Nieghbor’s actively helped each other and lent a hand in times of crises. Hopefully everyone learns to be more human in this Connected but Turkey disconnected world we live in.