1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

But if the article used the sample size it wouldn't make for an exciting article! This is pretty much the kind of reporting I think that leads to people being hesitant/taking small pieces of an article using %'s and then spreading it around as some fact that the vaccine isn't helping at all.

It would have been more helpful to let people know that while breakthroughs can occur with delta your odds of contracting serious illness /spreading it are significantly less vs no vaccine and then show some actual numbers/samples - Provincetown has an annual population of ~3000 making this seem a lot more significant, when in reality the population can increase to 60000 during the summer - that's not including the number of people they crossed paths with etc or the even bigger surrounding population like you mentioned which should be included, but Instead it has to leave snippets that people will run wild with to social media/internet leading to people hesitating/thinking the media is crying wolf etc etc.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Yes. it's so fking stupid to report that in that manner when we are trying to get people to get vaccinated.

What we need to know is if 3000 people were all vaccinated, how many of those did get infected? And how serious was it?
    Then compare that to the unvaccinated.

All I know is 98% of people at Methodist hospital are the unvaccinated. Regardless of whether breakthrough infections are possible, the severity of the illness is GREATLY reduced. That's all we can ask for!

plates300 and CCity Zero like this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Absolutely agree with you on everything. They really need to stop giving this bullshit news reporting style, and unfortunately I've seen it reported like this on most news sources people watch, and while I'm sure it's getting them plenty of clicks/views/discussion it's not helping spread the correct message.

Sajan and B-Bob like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hospitals in states hit with Covid 'onslaught' implore public to get vaccinated

"It's occurred so much faster than any other surge," the chief medical officer at Louisiana's largest standalone hospital said.

Aug. 4, 2021, 12:41 PM CDT
    By Daniella Silva

Hospitals in hard-hit states facing an "onslaught" of the coronavirus, driven by the highly contagious delta variant, are struggling with the flood of unvaccinated patients and imploring the public to get vaccinated.

At Louisiana's largest stand-alone hospital, medical teams are overwhelmed by "the highest number of patients that we've ever had admitted to this medical center at one given time during the pandemic," said Dr. Catherine O'Neal, the chief medical officer at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge.

"It's occurred so much faster than any other surge," she said.

Just two weeks ago, the hospital had 36 Covid patients, and now it has 163, O'Neal said.

The state's coronavirus hospitalizations reached record levels Tuesday, with 2,112 people admitted. According to the Health Department, about 90 percent of them were not vaccinated. Louisiana also has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the county and the highest per-capita Covid case growth, according to Gov. John Bel Edwards.

At Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, the patients are younger overall than during previous surges and are unvaccinated, O'Neal said, with rare breakthrough cases in vaccinated patients limited to more elderly people or those with compromised immune systems. The alarming increase has meant the hospital must ration its care.

"We're rationing care to be able to see the sickest people first, and that means that we are not providing adequate care to many people right now so that we can meet the needs of the sickest first," she said. "That safety net of care that every community depends on for every type of illness is starting to break down, and that's very concerning."

A federal team of health care workers arrived over the weekend to provide much-needed support to overcome staffing shortages as the cases continue to overwhelm the system, O'Neal said.

"Any help that the state and the federal government could give us to help hold that safety net up is very good right now," she said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned last week that the delta variant is "highly contagious" and "likely to be more severe" and that although they are rare, "breakthrough infections may be as transmissible as unvaccinated cases."

O'Neal said her message to members of the public still hesitant about vaccines or who are still considering getting vaccinated is: "Everybody's got a part to play in a war."

"We have an onslaught of a virus that has no end. We're asking everybody to play their part," she said. "The parts that they play may not be perfect, but we all have to contribute something to the end of this pandemic. If you get vaccinated, you will be contributing something."

Arizona, the chief clinical officer of Banner Health, the state's largest hospital system, said Tuesday afternoon that Covid hospitalizations have increased by 95 percent and that ventilator use has increased by 300 percent since July 1. Hospitalizations in the state have more than doubled since July.

Hospitalizations, admissions to the intensive care unit and ventilator use have been in the 20-60 age group, while previous surges mainly hit patients over 60, Dr. Marjorie Bessel of Banner Health said at a virtual news conference. Pediatric patients were 5 percent of current Covid hospital admissions, she said.

"Please get vaccinated as soon as possible. The vaccines that have been approved by the FDA through emergency use authorization are safe and effective," she said. "They will greatly reduce your chances of getting seriously ill and dying."

Bessel said that while the current surge has not yet matched those of July 2020 and January, the graph depictions of the cases were concerningly similar.

"The slope of what we're starting to experience looks very, very similar to the exponential growth that we experienced during those two very large surges," she said.

In Austin, Texas, health officials said in a statement Friday that the region's low intensive care unit bed capacity was similar to what it was at the beginning of the pandemic, reaching as low as "16 ICU beds for as many as 11 counties with over 2.3 million residents."

In a joint statement, the hospitals Ascension Seton, Baylor Scott & White and St. David's Healthcare said, "The latest Covid-19 spike is putting extraordinary pressure on our hospitals, emergency departments and healthcare professionals, and it has further challenged hospital staffing due to a longstanding nursing shortage."

Austin health officials urged the public to get vaccinated, wear masks and stay home when sick.

"We are running out of time, and our community must act now," Dr. Desmar Walkes, the Austin-Travis County medical director and health authority, said in the statement. "Our ICU capacity is reaching a critical point where the level of risk to the entire community has significantly increased, and not just to those who are needing treatment for Covid. If we fail to come together as a community now, we jeopardize the lives of loved ones who might need critical care."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...laught-implore-public-get-vaccinated-n1275945

5. plates300

plates300 Member

Walk into any ER in Houston and you’ll see the reality of what is happening. There are no beds anywhere in Houston and admitted patients are being held in the ER for almost 48 hours or even longer because there aren’t any beds. A 48 bed ER is holding 30+ admits. The waiting rooms continue to get worse with up to 24 hour wait times and 80+ waiting every single damned day. Ask any person who works in the hospitals and they’ll gladly give you the blunt truth about what is going on.

Amiga, Kim and B-Bob like this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Good news once we get a vaccine, this will end the pandemic.

Gioan Baotixita likes this.
  7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Have had this for 3 days. Negative test as welll and I am vaccinated. Throat was dry/a bit sore. Now feel lethargic and feverish (no fever) but full of snot and sick feeling. How long did it last?

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Very similar this week. Not hit by a truck, but maybe a wheel barrow, you know? Felt bad enough to go stand in testing line, and got a negative result. Feeling better now but could still just sleep all day given the chance -- not my normal, hyper-alert self.

Maybe it's just a "summer cold." Everyone complaining about that out here in SF Bay Area.

CCity Zero, ATXNekko and Blake like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

kinda snotty response to someone just sharing ER reality and not mentioning vaccines, don’t you think?

But since you brought it up, more widespread vaccination would definitely ease the immense strain on hospitals. That’s obvious.

JeeberD and Kim like this.
  10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

So I'm "on the ground" here in Baton Rouge. I have 3 different (unvaccinated) employees who have had their daycares closed because of outbreaks amongst the kids.

The hospitals are locking up and tge actually sent my father (intenstinal surgery) home early because they need the bed and he was safer at home.

I hate to say this but the issues of vaccinations (or lack thereof) seem to be attributable to republicans and african americans. The messaging in these coomunities in Louisiana seems beyond poor. Our vaccination rate is also low, so im not sure there is an end in sight.

Amiga and Kim like this.
  11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I blame Trump for a lot of this mess. He will take credit for the vaccine but he never advocated getting vaccinated the whole time. He put on his little show after he got out of the hospital, told everyone there was nothing to fear, and swept it aside. In fact, it was only recently that I read in the news he said people should get vaccinated. This...after he and his had a convention in Dallas where they laughed about how 70% weren’t vaccinated per Biden’s goal like it was a joke. Republicans have politicized the whole thing among their base and it is despicable/unthinkable. Trump is a freaking nightmare of a human being.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wound up getting a 2nd "slow" Covid test on Thursday - just to be safe and responsible. It was also negative.

I had:

Sunday: sore throat at night, minor
    Monday: increasingly painful sore throat, tired
    Tue: sore throat, headache, fog head, felt bad in general
    Wed: sore throat waned, felt decent, got some exercise, then at night a runny nose came, no sleep, headache
    Thur: Worst day, brain fog, hit by bus, runny nose, headache, , cant taste food so much mucus
    Friday: Tired morning, good day, exercise, cough, almost-great night
    Today: 85% - just feel off, heavy head, heavy eyes

Hadn't been this sick since I was a kid.

Blake likes this.
  13. Blake

Yeah we definitely have the same thing. Thanks for the update.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Of the 4 people I know that got sick, nobody was given a definitive diagnosis. I just know what it probably wasn't. Not what it was. Lol.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

No B-Bob, not at all. In the first couple months of the pandemic, much was unknown, even though front line legit scientist had a good idea on how this virus operates. ALL politicians, media and society has completely ****ed up the narrative and has completely turned it into a quagmire of distrust and partisan actors.

About a year and a half ago, we were told once a vaccine was produced, the world would turn back into a shining happy place as it was before. We have since continued to move goal posts, provide misinformation, lacking a REAL education on basic hygiene and have largely turned it into a 'Never let a good crisis go to waste'.

If you're 21 and have concerns about the long term effects of the virus, I completely understand. Its their choice and its a risk.
    If you're 60 and locked into some ignorant conspiracy theory refusing the virus, then I lump you into the smokers, obesity and other self destructive behavior. Not my problem.

Gioan Baotixita and RocketFan007 like this.
  16. Blake

Yep. Most likely some sort of RSV. It just sucks and I’m not gonna see a doctor about it. I’m about 1-2 days behind you so good to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel as I haven’t been sick in a looooong time.

CCity Zero and Ziggy like this.
  17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The vast majority of the people in the hospital and dying are the unvaccinated. If we were all vaccinated we would could return to normal. We just have too many people spreading antivax nonsense.

18. shorerider

shorerider Member

Not surprising if you think about it: We're not used to getting sick anymore. I think the more run of the mill illnesses will hit a bit harder in trying to return to normal.

CCity Zero and DonkeyMagic like this.
  19. shorerider

shorerider Member

The vaccine was intended to end the pandemic by reducing the illness to something that does NOT require hospitalization. Did you actually think it was to prevent infection? That was only going to be a bonus if it did happen. Unfortunately the vaccine only works when you get it. We are about 100 million short on that front. So here we are.

We don't shut down the world because of seasonal flu. That's because it typically doesn't cripple the healthcare system. Unfortunately the extreme stupidity floating around out there has convinced a sizeable chunk of the population that the risks from the vaccine are actually greater than covid itself.

cheke64 and Kim like this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

One guy I work with seemed the same way for the last week. I feel a little bit, but not much, that way.