1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Major

Major Member

This is a weird (and dumb) claim. The issue with children under 12 is that it's a wide range - a 2 yr old's body is very different from a 12yr old. Far more so than a 13 yr vs an adult. Thus, figuring out the proper dosing is more complicated, as are clinical trials since you don't have a massive natural control group to study against since we don't test kids for Covid much. And, of course, if you rush it and *kids* start getting vaccine side effects, all hell will break loose.

malakas likes this.
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

trials on 5-11 year olds are grouped and then 6 months to 2.

It isn't a weird "claim" its why emergency status was granted for adults.

If 100K 5-12 year old kids had died in England and 12 adults they would have got the vaccine.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

A Canadian guy on another message board suggested that the government should announce that the non vaxxed are banned from getting the vaccine and then that will make them want to get it since the govt told them they are banned from getting it.

Seems about spot on

JayZ750 and malakas like this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

I don't know why everyone's fighting to protect the remaining 50%.
    We could use a lot less of them.
    It's modern day Darwinism.

Xerobull likes this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Bad news for covid edge lords. From my cardiologist friend

8FFAD549-B724-41E1-A23E-7A83E01CD2A0.jpeg

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Can someone help me better understand this please.

The vaccine doesn't stop you from catching covid, it also doesn't stop you from giving covid to others.

So why are countries so adamant on forcing as many people to take vaccines as they can?

I understand the idea that people would feel safer if others had the vaccine, but again, why? If it doesn't stop you from getting it or spreading it?

So at what point do countries say 'ok everyone who wants a vaccine has now had the option to, those who haven't got it, the consequences of your own health is on you'.

What am I missing by thinking the above (i'm obviously missing something) after taking in to account if you're walking down the supermarket aisle vaccinated, but the person crossing your path isn't. You can give it to them still and they can still give it to you.

(I'm in Australia, where the government has failed epically regarding the vaccine rollout, so I don't have a shot yet because I'm in a group that is due to get the shot last)

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Vaccines tell your body how to fight off infections. You can come into contact with the virus from someone else, but since your immune system knows how to stop it, it will attack the virus before it can replicate in enough quantities to make you sick or contagious. Obviously, it's not 100% as some people's immune systems aren't as good.

The more virus that's in the world, the likelier it mutates. That's why we have these new variants. Delta is a lot more contagious, and the current vaccine is not as effective against this variant. It's still worth getting vaccinated as it'll give your body a chance to keep your viral count low. It could be the difference between you feeling flu-like symptoms or hospitalized.

Individually, the more virus you have, the likelier you'll have worse symptoms and be contagious. The vaccine will help you keep your viral load as low as possible.

Globally, the more virus in the world, the likelier the virus worsens. Everyone needs to get vaccinated to finally stop COVID.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of your questions establish a false equivalency between the vaccinated and unvaccinated at this moment in time. Catching COVID while vaccinated is orders of magnitude better than catching it while unvaccinated. Your chances of hospitalization are astronomically higher without the vaccine than with it. If 50% of the population takes that chance because they assume it’s a 50/50 choice without any difference in severity then we’re back to full ICUs and crushing the healthcare system.

I can sympathize with your frustration with the Australian government’s vaccine rollout. What I’ve caught on the news is maddening. Hell, we have an ongoing Olympics without fans largely because of the inaction of Japan’s bureaucratic government. But please do not let frustrations with bureaucracy dissuade you from eventually getting vaccinated. The facts are the facts and they support the vaccines, full stop.

CCity Zero, Deckard, malakas and 2 others like this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It does reduce the ability of the virus to spread significantly and it significantly reduces severity of covid illness.

I started it at the time where he gets into delta variant discussion

malakas and Downtown Sniper like this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The sooner it becomes well understood COVID will be around permanently the sooner we can start teaching people how to handle basic hygiene to reduce spread of all bugs.

TexasTofu likes this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I think covid is going to be permanent and here to stay. Hopefully as time goes on it'll be seen like regular flu season in the future (I'm not comparing the symptoms to flu or something stupid - I'm stating as more people are vaccinated/natural immunity hopefully there will be a breaking point where when people do get it - it won't be a serious long-term illness/death etc. due to better vaccines/treatments) - I mean with the mutation rate/strains it'll continue to stick around, unless we somehow get lucky and it mutates into a dud and it gets eradicated.

Few months old but still relevant: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00396-2

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

ya covid will be around for a while, hopefully at small manageable level in the future.

14. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Seems like TMC has now gone back to daily updates vs weekly updates. The number of covid positive patients in the hospital has increased by 67% in the last 7 days. I am worried that the curve in the US won't follow the same trends as UK's Delta variant wave. UK's daily new hospitalization is currently at around 20% of their peak in Jan 2021. I'd expect this curve to start to bend down soon since UK seems to have peaked in daily new cases a few days ago.

TMC's data shows that new daily hospitalization is already at around 45% of previous peaks here in Houston and the surge is still building rather than slowing down.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-upd...id-19-hospitalizations-by-week-monday-sunday/

My wife and I are personally going to stop eating eat restaurants for now, will go back to getting take-outs even though we are both vaccinated. We spend time with my unvaccinated niece and nephew and my wife works with immunocompromised people regularly. I also just don't want to get sick, even if it's mild that only knocks me down for a few days.

EDIT: I do wish TMC/DSHS would post the breakdown of people were admitted to the hospital for covid symptoms as opposed to coming to the hospital for other problems but tests positive during intake. Asymptomatic carriers could be a non-trivial number now with many people are vaccinated.

#11754 jchu14, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    malakas, CCity Zero and Xerobull like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

1. The vaccine stops you from getting covid. Just not 100%.
    2. The vaccine, one infected, also stops you from giving covid to others. You get lighter virus load therefore you are less contagious.
    3. As memtioned danger of mutation. That's why the government can never say "now it is on you". If it was left on the idiots then there would be a new delta variant every two months. Pur vaccines would be left obsolete and even the vaccinated would be left unprotected.

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

Macron 2 weeks ago announced that if you want to have a cup of coffee or eat out in France indoors or outdoors, you must get a test or vaccine.
    The result was that in 14 days there has been a huge increase and 4 millions vaccinations.

Now Italy, Ireland and Spain have decided to copy him.
    Germany is also considering it.

With such amazing results I expect by September most unvaccinated Europeans anywhere in the continent to not even be able to take public transport or have to spend a fortune in daily tests.

I am so happy about it because they are so brain damaged that are beyond redemption.

I have given up trying to reason and debate with rock for brains and what is left is only a desire to see them suffer and get burned.

jchu14 likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

holy ****, did you watch this video? Legit one of the dumbest things i've ever seen.

Hmm... why is covid going up in all the main population centers in California even though they are more highly vaccinated, while some county at the very northeast of the state where 10 unvaccinated people live is seeing no new covid???

Hmmmm... i wonder, this is a TOUGH ONE!!! have to get my thinking cap on for this one.

tinman likes this.
  18. JayZ750

Im not saying this in a rude way, so sorry if it comes across like that.. since it seems like you were sincere in your questions... and i don't know how it is in Australia...

Do you not know how vaccines work? Did you take science classes in high school? Have you ever been vaccinated for anything before? Etc.

Again, im not trying to be rude, but the answers to your questions are extremely basic and super easy to understand.

In America some babies are vaccinated like within days of birth of things. You can't enroll in public school without presenting vaccination records, etc. "Yet not covid, we have to fight that one!!"

As to your second comment... there's still 50+ million unvaccinated children in America... including 4 of mine.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol, why do you the Kings always mess up their draft picks? a bunch of Vlade Divacs there picking Marvin Bagley over Luka and Trey

also math question

if a population has like 1000 people die, do they adjust the denominator?

20. JayZ750

seriously underrated dumbass move... Vlade had a Luka connection and everything...

tinman likes this.