1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

HHS encourages you to file and require some health provider to report and file based on certain criteria. They don’t want to miss thing. They can weed it out later. Of more the ~1200 cases of hearth inflammation, ~600 are confirmed with follow up.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/reportevent.html

Covid vaccines are special in that I don’t think there has ever been such a pace of vaccinations across the globe in the same time span. The good news out of that is its hard to miss adverse effect.

robbie380 likes this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

Rand Paul freakin destroyed Fauci, again.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hospitals are booming again. We have no acceptance anywhere in houston for hospital beds. We might try sending people to the valley. Local news wont tell you this

malakas likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How?

TWS1986 likes this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What do you mean? I'm looking at the data right now. Hospitalizations are increasing fast, but not near danger levels just yet. They have doubled in about 2 weeks, but still 75% below peak levels for Covid hospitalizations. A lot of excess capacity still available too. It will be interesting to see how this tracks. It looks like UK might be topping out for the time being and they are roughly a month ahead of us with delta. There could be some areas hit pretty hard with this variant.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Those who constantly search for something, anything, that inevitably leads to further confusion as the nation faces the worst health disaster in over one hundred years should consider a simple truth. It is here. It is attacking us. Not only us, but the world, and it's constantly changing into something more contagious, more dangerous, more disruptive to our lives and it isn't going away. It is fighting us, and instead of joining together to bring Covid-19 to it's knees, it has been politicized in an act of deliberate madness.

Delta variant accounts for 83% of COVID cases in U.S., CDC director says

BY MANUEL BOJORQUEZ
    UPDATED ON: JULY 20, 2021 / 7:17 PM / CBS NEWS

Across the country, vaccination rates have plunged since mid-April and the more contagious Delta variant has exploded.

"CDC has released estimates of variants across the country and predicted the Delta variant now represents 83% of sequenced cases. This is a dramatic increase, up from 50% for the week of July 3. In some parts of the country, the percentage is even higher, particularly in areas of low vaccination rates," CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said in a Senate hearing on Tuesday.

There's an alarming jump in COVID-19 cases across the U.S. New infections are up by more than 120% nationwide in the past month and the CDC director says the Delta variant accounts for 83% of infections. While nowhere near the highs of the pandemic, a fourth — and mostly preventable — wave is appearing.

Across the country, vaccination rates have plunged since mid-April and the more contagious Delta variant has exploded.

"CDC has released estimates of variants across the country and predicted the Delta variant now represents 83% of sequenced cases. This is a dramatic increase, up from 50% for the week of July 3. In some parts of the country, the percentage is even higher, particularly in areas of low vaccination rates," CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said in a Senate hearing on Tuesday.

In Florida, hospitals are preparing for the worst. At Miami's Jackson Health System, there's been a 111% jump in COVID patients over the last two weeks, meaning most visitors will be banned. About 95% of patients with the virus who are being treated there are unvaccinated.

"It's frustrating. It's passed beyond sadness," said Alix Zacharski, a nurse manager at the hospital. "The amount of disease they go through is incredible it's terrible, it's absolutely terrible."

Zacharski says the patients are coming in younger, and with the Delta variant, they're getting sicker, faster. "We just got a very young patient in her 20s. She has asthma, did not get vaccinated, and she ended up passing out, passing away," she said.

And it's not just South Florida. The state accounts for nearly 20% of the nation's new cases over the last week.

In the Senate hearing in Washington, D.C., Senator Rand Paul and Dr. Anthony Fauci sparred over the origin of COVID.

"Dr. Fauci, knowing that it is a crime to lie to Congress—," Paul said.

"Senator Paul, I have never lied before the Congress," Fauci said.

You are trying to obscure responsibility for four million people dying around the world from a pandemic—," Paul said.

"I totally resent the lie you are now propagating and if anybody is lying here, senator, it is you," Fauci responded.

Still, the biggest battle against COVID remains on the front lines. Zacharski, the nurse in Miami, said she doesn't believe COVID numbers will go down anytime soon.

A new lab study found that Johnson & Johnson's vaccine had elicited lower levels of protective antibodies against the Delta variant compared to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. However, it is unclear if the shot still provides enough protection or if a booster will be needed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-delta-variant-new-cases-cdc/

#11666 Deckard, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    malakas likes this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This delta is spreading at an exponential growth. You tracking it should give you that clue. I'm at the frontlines, I'm seeing the numbers,hurt and fear on these patients. Hospitals are full.

If we don't do anything which Abbott already said we are going to be back at the beginnings of the pandemic. It effects vaccinated people too. These Republicans are really pieces of ****

8. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Both hospitals running out of space and not yet reached previous levels can be true at the same time. My wife works in the ICU of a hospital in the Med Center and they had to do a lot of work to increase capacity for previous surges. The hospital hired traveling nurses, opened up ICU that was closed for planned renovation, and switched over a bunch of regular ICU to be covid units to keep Covid patients separated from non-covid patients. Non-emergent care were delayed to make room for the surge.

So the hospital most likely had already wound down these surge covid units and it's going to take time to spin them back up and had to turn away people in the mean time. Non-emergent care may be delayed again.

I don't think hospitals being overwhelmed will be a huge issue though. The hospitals should already have a plan in place and experience on handling covid surge.

EDIT: The incredible growth rate of Delta may be catching some hospitals off guard. Number of covid patients has increased by about 75% in two weeks. It doesn't surprise me that some hospitals may not have enough ICU space right now to handle the growth if they had converted the unit to regular ICU during the lull.

#11668 jchu14, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

My teenage niece has it now. She didn't have vaccine yet. She's been to ER twice so far. Started as back pain, fever and stomach issues. Super lightheaded and thought she was going to pass out. Then other symptoms came like no taste and cold type symptoms. My stepmother is vaccinated and just tested positive after coming down with a cold. She had just started going into the office but was still wearing a mask. Overall I know more people now that have it than entire pandemic.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

He didn't. In reality, it was the opposite.

As one would expect...

cheke64 and TWS1986 like this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Two people where I used to work have it as well. I don’t know a lot of specifics but one guy is in the hospital now. I hope he will be ok.

malakas likes this.
  12. JayZ750

Remember when republican idiots thought once the election was over covid would magically disappear. morons.

13. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

You should really stick to sports takes.

14. JayZ750

Anyone thing i should cancel an early August trip to Georgia coast, Atlanta and Asheville?

15. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I wouldn’t. Unless you aren’t vaccinated.Then I’d get that done and go on my trip.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My Father in Law just got it and of course gave it to my mother in law. Father in law is in the hospital right now with pneumonia. Mother in law just has very light cold-like symptoms. They were both vaccinated back in February. Pfizer, I believe.

We were all in Hawaii a few weeks ago, so we have all been exposed. Everyone else is fine - we were all vaccinated in March except for my 9 year old boys who are too young. Pfizer for us too.

So odd that my FIL is having such problems and my MIL is basically fine. They are the same age, got both vaccinations on the same day in February, etc.

malakas and CrazyJoeDavola like this.
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

From the DSHS reporting that’s where the bottleneck looked to be with ICU beds. But we do have a ton of bed space and it seems like they are bringing ICU beds online.

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/AdditionalData.aspx

Also, is delta more virulent? I had seen mixed reporting from the UK on whether it was or wasn’t.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Have you been unable to get vaccinated?

20. JayZ750

@BigM

Nah, its not me, its my kids, all four under 12.

I think im more concerned about the return to school though.

Deckard and BigM like this.