1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

From a couple weeks ago, but I don't recall it being posted. At some point in the very near future we are going to have to get out of this fear mindset with covid. The vaccines work and vaccinated people don't spread covid.

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/arti...9-transmission-by-vaccinated-individuals.html

New Data on COVID-19 Transmission by Vaccinated Individuals

A Q&A WITH AMESH ADALJA | APRIL 8, 2021

In a recent White House press briefing, CDC director Rochelle Walensky cited new data indicating that the two-dose regimen of COVID-19 vaccines can reduce the risk of asymptomatic or presymptomatic infections.

What does this mean, exactly? And what might data like this suggest for public health guidance going forward? Amesh Adalja, MD, of the Center for Health Security, answers a few questions about our evolving understanding of immunity and COVID vaccines.

Can we say with any degree of certainty that vaccinated people are unlikely to spread COVID to unvaccinated individuals?

The emerging data confirms what many of us thought would be the case—that not only do the vaccines stop symptomatic COVID, but they also make it highly unlikely that someone can even be infected at all.

I think the preponderance of the evidence supports the fact that vaccinated individuals are not able to spread the virus.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I still think masking should be in effect until herd immunity is declared.

Quarantines and byzantine social distancing measures should be shitcanned though. That was more to reduce the curve in fear of hospital overcrowding than the chance of getting it and dying.

Hospital capacity is dropping in california at least. Their rollout took longer because they rationed it to at risk people first. It will continue to drop as healthcare improves treatment for deeply affected and more people get immunized.

Main concern is variants jumping to youger groups, but this should not be why we quarantine. It's lazy and unsustainable.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While its quite down from the peak it is showing it's been rising recently. Further some of the counties especially those in the NW part of IA are increasing more than other parts of states.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Millions who have gotten the first shot of Pfizer and Moderna are missing the second shot.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/business/covid-vaccines-second-doses.html

Millions Are Skipping Their Second Doses of Covid Vaccines
    Nearly 8 percent of those who got initial Pfizer or Moderna shots missed their second doses. State officials want to prevent the numbers from rising.

Millions of Americans are not getting the second doses of their Covid-19 vaccines, and their ranks are growing.

More than five million people, or nearly 8 percent of those who got a first shot of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, have missed their second doses, according to the most recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That is more than double the rate among people who got inoculated in the first several weeks of the nationwide vaccine campaign.

Even as the country wrestles with the problem of millions of people who are wary about getting vaccinated at all, local health authorities are confronting an emerging challenge of ensuring that those who do get inoculated are doing so fully.

The reasons vary for why people are missing their second shots. In interviews, some said they feared the side effects, which can include flulike symptoms. Others said they felt that they were sufficiently protected with a single shot.

Those attitudes were expected, but another hurdle has been surprisingly prevalent. A number of vaccine providers have canceled second-dose appointments because they ran out of supply or didn’t have the right brand in stock.

Walgreens, one of the biggest vaccine providers, sent some people who got a first shot of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine to get their second doses at pharmacies that only had the other vaccine on hand.

Several Walgreens customers said in interviews that they scrambled, in some cases with help from pharmacy staff, to find somewhere to get the correct second dose. Others, presumably, simply gave up.

From the outset, public health experts worried that it would be difficult to get everyone to return for a second shot three or four weeks after the first dose. It is no surprise that, as vaccines are rolled out more broadly, the numbers of those skipping their second dose have gone up

But the trend is nonetheless troubling some state officials, who are rushing to keep the numbers of only partly vaccinated people from swelling.

In Arkansas and Illinois, health officials have directed teams to call, text or send letters to people to remind them to get their second shots. In Pennsylvania, officials are trying to ensure that college students can get their second shots after they leave campus for the summer. South Carolina has allocated several thousand doses specifically for people who are overdue for their second shot.

Mounting evidence collected in trials and from real-world immunization campaigns points to the peril of people skipping their second doses. Compared with the two-dose regimen, a single shot triggers a weaker immune response and may leave recipients more susceptible to dangerous virus variants. And even though a single dose provides partial protection against Covid, it’s not clear how long that protection will last.

“I’m very worried, because you need that second dose,” said Dr. Paul Offit, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania and a member of the Food and Drug Administration’s vaccine advisory panel.

The stakes are high because there is only one vaccine authorized in the United States that is given as a single shot. The use of that vaccine, made by Johnson & Johnson, was paused this month after it was linked to a very rare but serious side effect involving blood clotting. Federal health officials on Friday recommended restarting use of the vaccine, but the combination of the safety scare and ongoing production problems is likely to make that vaccine a viable option for fewer people.

The C.D.C.’s count of missed second doses is through April 9. It covers only people who got a first Moderna dose by March 7 or a first Pfizer dose by March 14.

While millions of people have missed their second shots, the overall rates of follow-through, with some 92 percent getting fully vaccinated, are strong by historical standards. Roughly three-quarters of adults come back for their second dose of the vaccine that protects against shingles.

In some cases, problems with shipments or scheduling may be playing a role in people missing their second doses. Some vaccine providers have had to cancel appointments because they did not receive expected vaccine deliveries. People have also reported having their second-dose appointments canceled or showing up only to find out that there were no doses available of the brand they needed.
    More at link

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I rescheduled my Friday appointment as it was going to be a nice weekend. Skipping a week or two wont make a big difference. 40% of CVS's have open appointments.

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is so stupid. They are worried about flu like symptoms, but not being completely immunized against a far deadlier threat? SMH

malakas, Surfguy and B-Bob like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I only got half of one vaccine -- we really just don't understand the science.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

8% seems pretty low to be worried about plus I wonder if those 8% are in the same boat I am. I am not planning on taking a 2nd dose since I've already had covid and I had a pretty decent amount of side effects from my 1st shot. The CDC still recommends 2 shots for people even if they have had covid, but studies have indicated it might just be unnecessary. My gf certainly is not taking a 2nd dose and it is also not recommended for her by the CDC either since she developed hives after her shot and also she's had covid twice.

https://consumer.healthday.com/sb-3...-not-need-2nd-dose-of-vaccine-2650992141.html

THURSDAY, March 11, 2021 (HealthDay News) -- If you've previously been infected by the new coronavirus, just one dose of the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccines may be enough to protect you from future infection, according to a new study.

"We showed that the antibody response to the first vaccine dose in people with preexisting immunity is equal to or even exceeds the response in uninfected people after the second dose," said study co-author Dr. Viviana Simon. She's a professor in the departments of microbiology and medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City.

"For that reason, we believe that a single dose of vaccine is sufficient for people who have already been infected by SARS-CoV-2 to reach immunity," Simon said in a school news release.

Contact with the SARS-CoV-2 virus already activates the human body's immune system response. But is that enough to forgo a dose of the new two-dose vaccines?

To find out, Simon's group compared 109 people with and without prior coronavirus infection who received two vaccine doses.

Within days of receiving their first dose, the rate of antibody production was 10-20 times higher in previously infected people, compared to those who'd never been infected.

After the second dose, antibody production was more than 10 times higher in previously infected people than in those with no history of infection, the Mount Sinai researchers found.

"In fact, that first dose immunologically resembles the booster [second] dose in people who have not been infected," study co-author Florian Krammer, a professor of microbiology, said in the release.

malakas, TexasTofu and Amiga like this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

8% / millions is a huge #. Time for a study on effectiveness of half doses of pfz/mod, if there wasn't already one. England delayed the 2nd dose for months (??) so we should have very good data there too.

Studies show covid vaccines (at least pfz/mod) protect you against all variants to date (at the least the one they have enough data on, which is almost all of them). Studies suggests prior infection does not protect against new variants (if you were infected with the original/older variants - most ppl have no idea what variant they were infected with).

10. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

Dam thats huge!

Andre0087 and B-Bob like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It really is! If we can avoid some super mutant out of India, Michigan, Canada, or Brazil, we could see some very happy days ahead.

On the one hand, I totally agree with @robbie380 that we have to move away from the pattern of fear, (though not away from sensible precautions). On the other hand, this damned virus has killed three million people in the world in just thirteen months or whatever. I mean... damn. I can see why people got scared, and it's not just "the media" or hype or whatever. That's a world-war type rate of losing people, with a lot more on the way.

ElPigto and Andre0087 like this.
  12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Possible that they can't risk missing work the day after (if it was scheduled on Sunday thru Thurs).

TexasTofu likes this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am not disagreeing with you, but it is a sad state of affairs in this country that someone would have to be worried about missing a day of work due to getting vaccinated.

14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

All employees should give paid sick days in this country. They risk missing a lot more work if they get Covid, so regardless, the logic isn't smart.

RedRedemption likes this.
  15. Major

Major Member

This has to be the worst chart of all time. Who looked at this and said "this seems like a good way to disseminate this information!" ?

Confirmed New COVID-19 Hospitalizations by Age Group

[​IMG]

CCity Zero, B-Bob and Ubiquitin like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No one:

Robbie380
    : GET OVER YOUR FEAR

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yep. Worker rights in the U.S. is a joke, but we also get paid more (which might not even balance out due to our shitty social services).
    I imagine full time workers with PTO wouldn't care, but contractors, part timers, etc. might not be as inclined to miss days.

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

They would miss a whole lot more days if they actually got sick from Covid. Besides, not everyone gets flu-like symptoms after the 2nd vaccine. I didn't.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes but people have been attached to the bunker mentality, made it apart of their lives, and have wanted to ignore data as things have changed and more is known. That last part applies to groups that are anti covid vax types that dig their heels in the sand as well. I'm actually having a discussion with one on another message board right now too lol.

The conversations I have with my Canadian nurse friend are as rough as the conversations with the anti covid vax types. The conversations my gf has with her Canadian friends seem about the same. That mindset is shared with a large percentage of Americans and ones that I’m around on a daily basis here in Austin. I'd prefer it if that mindset is broken down quickly and does not persist here like in Canada.

I don’t think Canada will ever get past covid based on their mindset...even after vaccination. It’s like it’s become a matter of faith and constantly moving the goalposts with my nurse friend. She still wants to be excessively cautious even with the data indicating full vaccination effectively eliminates transmission.

Misjudgment and misrepresentation of risk is leading to people to have greater fear than warranted. So it’s not just being scared but it’s losing the ability to adjust to new data and not questioning practices that have been adopted.

Can of worms here that I'm going to open up, but for example wearing a mask looks polite and you can clearly see it when someone is wearing one. There might be some benefit to them but there almost certainly is no benefit to them based on how we wear them and the policies we have in place. If you sit down and you are eating or drinking a beer then you don't need a mask because covid can't attack you...but if you stand up put a mask on so you are protecting yourself and others. It's a silly game and I play it everyday when I go to the coffeeshop down the road.

[​IMG]

However, if you get vaccinated then you truly are stopping the spread of covid, but no one can clearly see your antibody levels. Yet we have people pushing the idea that we still need to wear a mask even after being vaccinated as if the mask does something more than a vaccine does. Makes zero sense.

...side note man I wish we had better emojis here. ;) This wink emoji is blah and this :) smile emoji looks creepy. I wish I could give a thumbs down emoji as a rating for the wink and smile emoji. Anyhow I think they help convey tone better #swolyd...

20. Major

Major Member

This is certainly true if you use fake strawman arguments and funny pictures so you can mock it. Less so when you consider the reality of the situation but who cares about those details.

I'll be honest - it's a little weird to read you complain about the overly cautious Canadians given how much less Covid has hit them (maybe thanks to all their precautions?) and how many times over the last year you've tried to convince everyone here that we have it under control, it's going away, and that we're turning the corner with your own data analyses while all the professional experts got it right. At some point, when you've been wrong this many separate times, it seems worth re-evaluating the next time you're absolutely certain about something else on the same topic.

Have you ever considered that maybe the purpose is to influence societal behavior in ways that can have a positive effect on transmission, regardless of the effect on the individual? For example, if you keep "wear a mask" as a normalized action for now for everyone, then it's more likely that many of the 50% of unvaccinated people will continue wearing masks and being aware of taking common sense precautions which will slow the spread in general. If vaccinated people are running around like nothing happened, then the rest of society will too, meaning it drags everything on longer. The mask doesn't do something *more* than the vaccine - it does something *different* than the vaccine.

No Worries and gifford1967 like this.