1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t forget about Walmart

Jontro likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

so a month after the vacvine, are you pretty much free to roam around maskless and ne safe?

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

there is always something to debate :)

My first post that started this mini-thread is about Russian's disinformation against Pfizer (and other) covid vaccine.

My 2nd post (reply to your response) is a claim that we are in a reality of information warfare and we should be aware of it (publish the stuff as they are known).

Your response to my first post is about "information warfare" against Sputnik vaccine. You didn't dispute my first post about Russian's disinformation against Pfizer covid vaccine, and you argued there was information warfare against the "Russian" vaccine.

We both are saying there is information warfare. The difference? My post is about Russian's state involvement (their intelligence services) while your is about media (and general public perception - xenophobia; note that Russian themselves don't trust their government and vaccination among their public is the lowest among nations - I don't think I have to explain why).

Appreciate you taking the time to edit and re-edit, but seriously, you don't need to be careful in your response to me - I've grown thicker skin over the years ;)

In my 2nd post, I didn't reply to your claim about media and xenophobia because that was not my original point.

I'll make a few quick points about it (again, don't want to drag this too much into d&d and derail this general covid thread).

1- From the phase 3 trial data (that was made available to the public via Lancet in FEB 2021), the Sputnik V vaccine is very effective. Note the date.

2- There isn't xenophobia. I don't think western public has a negative view toward Russian's people.

3- Few trust, even Russian themselves, Putin and his government.

4- The earlier media reporting (negative) on Sputnik vaccine is due to Russia early announcement and rush to vaccinate before trial data (and of lack of transparency on data). Just because their vaccine is later shown to be effective doesn't mean the earlier media report didn't have good points (they did).

Sputnik V: The Story Of Russia's Controversial COVID-19 Vaccine (rferl.org)

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You thinking about being the new James harden off the court ?

Jontro likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

i wish my small goatie can be as glorious and homeless-like as hardon

tinman likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

@Jontro is the only man in 2021 still sporting a gotee

Jontro likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You probably should be able to because after that you are no threat to others and they are no threat to you, but not wearing a mask would just lead to ridiculous Karens throwing public tantrums....so it's probably just easier to keep wearing one until the political masters of the Karens change their dogma.

Give it at least a few more months.

Jontro likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Novavax vaccine data :

MadMax and Amiga like this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wish I could make this gif have Canada and Mexico as Lucky Day and Ned Nederlander and Dusty Bottoms as the US now that we are up to enough doses for 400 million people. I love that we have enough for North America, Central America and the Caribbean all for ourselves lol. Sorry guys we can't spare a drop!

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Bill Gates needs to hang on to the reserves so he can microchip our children when they are born.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You're an ******* and your input here is minimal and shitty probably like your real life.

Commodore likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks, bizarre that it didn't come up in my search, repeatedly. Oh well.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Ah sh*t... was afraid of that.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's not the British (variant) are coming. The Briitish are already here.

Please continue to wear masks and practice common sense. This one might be a doozy for countries that have mostly be less impacted earlier in the past year (India, Bangladesh, Turkey)

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbo...s-outbreaks-increase-in-michigan-schools.html
    Sports, spring break & sleepovers: COVID chaos as outbreaks increase in Michigan schools

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We're a year in and have there been any good studies on non medical masks and their effectiveness and drawbacks (eg. possible respiratory infection from wearing them for long periods of time)? The data seems like it is all over the place from what I can tell and if there is a benefit then it is marginal and the basic cloth or cheap masks that everyone wears seem to not be recommended in older studies because they might promote infection.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20201119/how-much-does-wearing-a-mask-protect-you

An older study relating to cloth masks showing they were more hurtful than helpful for healthcare workers.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150422121724.htm

SARS-1 study with medical masks and disposable masks

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/65/11/1934/4068747

Quick reminder...I was one of the people pushing for masks before the govt enacted the policy, but based on outbreaks we've continued to have and other data I'm seeing then it leads me to wonder if there is actually any benefit. Other than the benefit of wearing a mask changing people's behavior and forcing them to adhere more to social distancing, etc.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I will say I'm convinced the main things one needs to do:
    1. minimize the number of people you spend time with indoors, and
    2. minimize the time you spend indoors with other people.

I've always thought the time component was really undervalued. Like people take their time shopping and talking in a grocery store because they have on some lame mask. Good luck with that.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think its way past time to start educating people on how viruses work. The whole 'don't wear a mask' then 'wear a mask every breathing moment' narrative doesn't work. Too many people find it insulting. We can simplify the processes to stop a lot of viral and bacteria spread.

If you feel sick. If you have a headache. If you have the sniffles. If you start sneezing and coughing .... wear a damn mask around everyone. And stay away from people.

We should start heavily regulating ventilation systems in buildings.

We should also start doing a much better job of tracking upticks in cases of various biologicals. If we have a heavy flu season, then we should start having mild restrictions in place. I know many people reject this, but c'mon. There were plenty of dumbasses who thought it was a bad idea to start tracking weather. The restrictions do not have to be enforced by the government. But businesses can be pressured to follow them as an industry standard. If you dont want to get sick during flu season, go to chic fil a. If you want to get sick everytime, go to Burger King.