1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

wonder if any place is tracking covid vaccine hesitancy

Orange TX judge has opened up vaccination to all because they couldn’t get enough 1a/b to sign up.

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think hard data is just now coming available. They still don’t know how long one dose of the Pfizer or Moderna might provide protection. They still think the two dose regimen provides the most protection. They really don’t know how long any of the vaccines will provide protection. But, it’s good to know that people are getting some protection even after just one dose.

ramotadab and B-Bob like this.
  3. Amiga

Supporting Member

Probably d&d but we should know there has been a state sponsor campaign against covid vaccines

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia...vid-19-vaccines-u-s-officials-say-11615129200

Russian Disinformation Campaign Aims to Undermine Confidence in Pfizer, Other Covid-19 Vaccines, U.S. Officials Say
    Websites linked to Russian intelligence services publish false information questioning vaccines’ safety, efficacy

To counter skepticism over its Covid-19 vaccine, Russia has built a big public-relations effort at home and abroad. WSJ’s Georgi Kantchev explains why the success of Sputnik V is so important for the Kremlin.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

The people in the golden triangle aren’t suckers. Take that L Bill Gates!

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Maybe I don't understand how this is possible? A vaccine is supposed to mimic the virus without actually containing the virus itself. if you already got covid then your body already knows what covid looks like and has developed anti bodies to fight it. I guess I can understand the booster shot theory, but how does that explain getting rid symptoms? I assuming the body killed the covid. If the covid virus did some structural damage how will the vaccine fix this?

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Disclaimer...Don't take my reply as an attack on you tony, but just the entire story that keeps getting pushed which seems flimsy at the very best.

This sounds beyond ridiculous and trying to promote more lazy xenophobia against Russia. At some point people really need to start questioning if these narratives make intuitive sense and quit taking them at headline value. I don't subscribe to WSJ so I can't see what they are trying to push and I can't find any press release that isn't behind a paywall. People within or associated with our government have tried to push this narrative for months. We also originally blocked any cooperation with Russia on a vaccine and made mocking comments about their effort. The only reason why it's political is because our govt and media is pushing it without much basis in reality from what I can see.

And good luck finding any positive stories about the Sputnik vaccine before Feb. It was repeatedly derided and castigated in our media. It has turned out to be a spectacular vaccine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/05/technology/russia-covid-vaccine-disinformation.html

Back in Feb we push this and buried way down in this report they actually show the stories they are referencing and it's absurd. The stories referenced were shared in AMERICAN media as well. They also say Facebook didn't see any "campaigns" currently running.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/yuri-...iplomat-says-nyet-to-russian-vaccine?ref=wrap

They tried to push this strange agenda back in late January too. They write the headline and lead the story as if something nefarious is going on but then at the end of the article it gets effectively undermined, but who reads past the headline and first few paragraphs...

The diplomat was even asked about the Pfizer shot being labeled as a "shot of death" and he flatly denied it. I searched on Sputnik news for a little bit to try to find that story since Daily Beast says they have published stories relating to that, but I couldn't find it and they never linked anything supporting their claim. It might be there, but I couldn't find it.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russias-new-covid-19-problem-is-convincing-people-to-take-its-vaccine

The daily beast also pushed this story in December to make it look like the Sputnik vaccine was somehow questionable since half of Russians didn't want it. I think around that time roughly half of Americans didn't want the vaccine either.

Then in December the CFR pushed this story

Russian Disinformation Popularizes Sputnik V Vaccine in Africa

Beach Gray, PhD, is a Senior Open Source Analyst at Novetta, specializing in Russian disinformation and media influence.

Non-Russian media’s support for the Sputnik V vaccine and its clinical trials originates in large part from a targeted Russian disinformation campaign in countries with former and current ties to Russia and the Soviet Union.

Sputnik V seems to be as much about public relations and Russian soft power as about stopping the spread of COVID-19. Kirill Dmitriev, chief executive officer of Russia’s Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), the state-run sovereign wealth fund, explained the vaccine’s name choice, stating “we understood that there would be lots of skepticism and resistance to the Russian vaccine for competitive reasons; therefore, there was a decision to call it a Russian recognizable international name.” (The name Sputnik is a reference to the first satellite launched into space.)

The disinformation campaign started on August 11, when the Russian Ministry of Health approved Sputnik V as the world’s first vaccine against COVID-19. The approval itself was, by scientific standards, misleading, since the vaccine had not begun phase III clinical trials. However, Russia’s Ministry of Health doubled down on September 4, claiming it had manufactured the “best vaccine in the world” against COVID-19. President Vladimir Putin made a similar claim during West Africa’s Ebola outbreak, stating that Russia had invented a more effective treatment than any other available globally.
    Sputnik V’s popularity in African media is troubling, considering the vaccine has not undergone the same rigorous clinical trials as other contenders. The success of Russia’s disinformation and public relations strategy stems from the Kremlin’s ability—and willingness—to disseminate and emphasize its message about Sputnik V’s effectiveness. To counter Russian disinformation in the vaccine space, pharmaceutical professionals and politicians should devote more attention to highlighting the importance of rigorous clinical trials and explaining how vaccines in phase III trials meet acceptable standards. By emphasizing science rather than personally endorsing a “winning” vaccine, the vaccine debate can be re-framed in a way that more effectively combats Russian disinformation.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/russian-disinformation-popularizes-sputnik-v-vaccine-africa

Actually a great article to read because the guy is dead wrong about the vaccine and tries to push all sorts of premises with loaded phrasing while also doing his best to undermine the Sputnik vaccine and make people question its efficacy and safety due to the Russian connection. The reality is the Sputnik vaccine is top notch and the Russians have been working with other nations and are trying to distribute it to poorer areas of the world and some places the US doesn't have good relations.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

...2nd part...

Then we go to November and we have a story like this pop up

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...9-vaccine-doesn-t-pass-smell-test-critics-say

Russia’s claim of a successful COVID-19 vaccine doesn’t pass the ‘smell test,’ critics say

So are we treating this story as a potential disinformation campaign against what turns out to be an excellent vaccine? Of course not lol

And British media tried to push this back in October 2020 as well.... https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ews-over-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-2nzpk8vrq They tried to claim the Russians were trying to spread fear about the Oxford vaccine...

But Remember Russia and Astrazenca have an agreement to work together and they want to produce it jointly as a mixed approach with the Oxford and Sputnik vaccines. They agreed to that a couple months after that story.

Putin lauds AstraZeneca as it signs vaccine tie-up deal with Russia

Kirill Dmitriev, the head of RDIF, told the event that clinical trials combining the Russian and British vaccines would start soon in three countries. Dmitriev has previously said Russia believes the combination will boost the efficacy of the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Kate Bingham, chair of Britain’s vaccine task force, said this month the UK would start trials next year using combinations of different kinds of vaccine for the initial and booster vaccinations, in the hope that a “mix-and-match” approach might maximise the immune response.

The cooperation between one of Britain’s most valuable listed companies and the state-backed Russian research institute highlights the pressure to develop an effective shot to fight the pandemic, which has killed over 1.6 million people.

In Moscow, the move is seen as a long-awaited vote of confidence by a Western manufacturer in Sputnik V, which Russian authorities say is the target of a foreign-backed smear campaign.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...vaccine-tie-up-deal-with-russia-idUSKBN28V1M2

So which one is it? Are they trying to covertly run a ridiculously small, nebulous fearmongering campaign against the Oxford vaccine or are they trying to work with other countries and with the Oxford vaccine producers while also praising the potential of both vaccines combined? The two themes don't seem to be very compatible.

Don't forget the US govt has also openly mocked the Russian vaccine and shot down any cooperation back in August 2020. It seems these monkey comments originated from the US in the beginning.

Russia offers to help US with Covid-19 vaccine; US says no

"Other US officials told CNN the Russian vaccine is considered so half-baked in the United States that it hadn't even piqued US interest in a serious way before the rollout. "There's no way in hell the US tries this (Russian vaccine) on monkeys, let alone people," one US government public health official said."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/13/...il&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_todayworld

Who knows if that quote is even legit since they quoted a random anonymous source, but it's out there. Also kind of coincidental to note that this article is August 13 2020 and the expert from that CFR link says the Russian campaign started on August 11 2020....probably just a coincidence. This same story keeps getting rehashed every month with the same narrative and it's just lame.

The bottom line is the Sputnik vaccine seems to be highly effective, cheaper, easy to distribute and available to countries that didn't have agreements with "Western" vaccines.

Also, at what point does the US come under scrutiny for hoarding any potential vaccine doses? We have ordered enough doses for 300 million people when we don't have that many people able to take the shot. We don't even have that many people willing to take the shot. Those vaccine doses would go a long way in helping our neighbors to the north and south, but whatever....it looks great in the headlines for the govt. But that's another issue and a point that gets into reporting and such...

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

And in other news...

I'll just round up and say we are at 60% of 65+ having at least 1 shot. It's 52.5% for 65-74 and 69% for 75+. Pretty solid numbers.

Right now 50-64 is at 18% with 1 shot. Curious to see how that number moves up since vaccinations are opening up to more groups now.

sammy likes this.
  9. Amiga

Supporting Member

I don't know but it seems possible.

Vaccine wouldn't repair structural damages directly (the body could though if given a chance), assuming that is a cause of long covid. There could be multiple causes. If one of the causes is said due to lingering covid virus and an on-going but weak immune response, vaccine can help get rid of the lingering covid virus. Vaccine instructs the body to attack covid virus in its own unique way that is different from natural infection (might provide more robust and longer lasting protection).

All guesses given we don't know all the causes of long covid. One good news is there haven't been any report of long covid due to vaccination itself.

10. Amiga

Supporting Member

And why this was probably D&D material. I think you should re-join D&D so you can take this there and have a lovely and lively debate ;). Wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese gov is also anti-non-China origin covid vaccines (China's coronavirus vaccine diplomacy takes an anti-vax turn — Quartz (qz.com), Chinese media criticise Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, tout local shots | Reuters, Spamouflage Breakout (graphika.com)).

U.S. says Russian-backed outlets spread COVID-19 vaccine 'disinformation' | Reuters

Global Engagement Center - United States Department of State

The reality is we are in information warfare and need to protect our turf (or against misinformation). One way to do that is to publish what is detected.

#11370 Amiga, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Michael Jackson solved this problem

Amiga likes this.
  12. Amiga

Supporting Member

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Probably D&D material. I've been following some of the stuff on the Chinese Sinovac vaccine and it's being used in HK already. So far it's been showing 80%-90% efficacy and may be effective against the Brazilian variant. There have been a few cases of bad side effects and the so far they haven't concluded or recently complete findings for their phase 3 trials. That said they've conducted trials on hundreds of thousands in multiple countries so a far larger trial than any vaccine.

I doubt it get's used in the US at all as these vaccines have become a geopolitical issue. What I'm really wondering is if travel restrictions are going to be based upon vaccination will the US and other Western countries accept people vaccinated with Sinovac or Sputnik 5 vaccines or will the PRC, Russia and other countries accept those vaccinated with Pfizer or JJ vaccinese?

Amiga likes this.
  14. Amiga

Supporting Member

They have not completed phase 3 trials? I find it strange how you have hundreds of thousand immunized but not yet concluded phase 3 trails. That seem to indicate they aren't tracking with the rigorousness of a vaccine trial. However, that's very good real-world data.

ps. we have to be careful about direct comparison of one vaccine to another (using trials data) due to that they don't run the trials the same way and the data set is different (time and place, variants, quantity, etcs.)

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I stand corrected. It looks like Sinovac completed and announced results for Phase 3 a month ago.
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ces-Phase-III-Results-of-Its-COVID-19-Vaccine
    Sinovac Announces Phase III Results of Its COVID-19 Vaccine
    February 05, 2021 04:05 PM Eastern Standard Time

BEIJING--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sinovac Biotech Ltd. (NASDAQ: SVA) (“Sinovac” or the “Company”), a leading provider of biopharmaceutical products in China, today announced phase III results. Sinovac had started its phase III trials on CoronaVac, its COVID-19 vaccine, on July 21, 2020. Trials were conducted in Brazil, Turkey, Indonesia, and Chile. In compliance with the principles of Good Clinical Practice (GCP), the trials were conducted with the vaccine candidate produced from the same lot and following the 0, 14 day schedule. There have been a total of 25,000 participants enrolled in the trial across those four countries.

The phase III trials conducted in Brazil and Turkey evaluated the efficacy of the vaccine candidate in healthcare workers who provide treatment to COVID-19 patients. Both trial studies were randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled. The two trials shared the same primary endpoint of an efficacy rate 14 days after the vaccination with either vaccine candidate or placebo.

As of December 16, 2020, there were 12,396 health workers over 18 years old enrolled. A total of 253 positive cases were collected during the observation period. After 14 days following vaccination with 2 doses of vaccine following a 0, 14 day schedule, the efficacy rate against diseases caused by COVID-19 was 50.65% for all cases, 83.70% for cases requiring medical treatment, and 100.00% for hospitalized, severe, and fatal cases.

There are two stages of the phase III clinical trial in Turkey. Participants comprised health care workers in the first stage (K-1) and the general population in the second stage (K-2), with all participants ranging from 18 to 59 years old. As of December 23, 2020, there were 918 participants enrolled in K-1 and 6,453 participants in K-2, for a total of 7,371 participants. Among them, 1,322 participants completed the two-dose vaccination and entered the 14-day observation period after receiving the second dose of the vaccination. Based on an analysis of 29 cases, the efficacy rate for COVID-19 prevention was 91.25% after 14 days following the two-dose vaccination, in adherence with the 0, 14 day schedule.

Sinovac has officially filed conditional market authorization for CoronaVac with China’s National Medical Products Administration (NMPA). Sinovac continues to actively seek regulatory approval for CoronaVac in other countries while contributing to making the COVID-19 vaccine accessible and affordable on a global basis to ensure the prevention and control of the COVID-19 pandemic.

About Sinovac

Sinovac Biotech Ltd. is a China-based biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the research, development, manufacturing and commercialization of vaccines that protect against human infectious diseases. Sinovac's product portfolio includes vaccines against enterovirus71 (EV71), hepatitis A and B, seasonal influenza, 23-Valent Pneumococcal Polysaccharide (“PPV”), H5N1 pandemic influenza (avian flu), H1N1 influenza (swine flu), varicella vaccine and mumps. Healive, the hepatitis A vaccine manufactured by the Company, has passed the assessment under WHO prequalification procedures in 2017. The EV71 vaccine, an innovative vaccine developed by Sinovac against hand foot and mouth disease caused by EV71, was commercialized in China in 2016. In 2009, Sinovac was the first company worldwide to receive approval for its H1N1 influenza vaccine, which it has supplied to the Chinese Government's vaccination campaign and stockpiling program. The Company is also the only supplier of the H5N1 pandemic influenza vaccine to the government stockpiling program. The Company is developing a number of new products including COVID-19 vaccine, CoronaVac, a Sabin-strain inactivated polio vaccine and combined vaccines. Sinovac primarily sells its vaccines in China, while also exploring growth opportunities in international markets. The Company is seeking market authorization of its products in over 30 countries outside of China. For more information please see the Company’s website at www.sinovac.com.

Safe Harbor Statement

This announcement may include certain statements that are not descriptions of historical facts, but are forward-looking statements. These statements are made under the “safe harbor” provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements can be identified by terminology such as “will,” “expects,” “anticipates,” “future,” “intends,” “plans,” “believes,” “estimates” and similar statements. Forward-looking statements involve risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those contained in any such statements. In particular, the outcome of any litigation is uncertain, and the Company cannot predict the potential results of the litigation it filed or filed against it by others. Additionally, the triggering of a shareholder rights plan is nearly unprecedented, and the Company cannot predict the impact on the Company or its stock price as a result of the trigger of the rights plan.

This announcement contains forward-looking information about the Company’s efforts to develop a potential COVID-19 vaccine that involves substantial risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such statements. Risks and uncertainties include, among other things, the uncertainties inherent in research and development, including the ability to meet anticipated clinical endpoints, commencement and/or completion dates for clinical trials, regulatory submission dates, regulatory approval dates and/or launch dates, as well as risks associated with clinical data (including the Phase III trial data); the ability to produce comparable clinical or other results, including the rate of vaccine effectiveness and safety and tolerability profile observed to date, in additional analyses of the Phase III trials or in larger, more diverse populations upon commercialization; the risk that clinical trial data are subject to differing interpretations and assessments, and by regulatory authorities; the risk that we may not be able to create or scale up manufacturing capacity on a timely basis or have access to logistics or supply channels commensurate with global demand for any potential approved vaccine, which would negatively impact our ability to supply the estimated numbers of doses of our vaccine candidate; uncertainties regarding the ability to obtain recommendations from public health authorities; uncertainties regarding the impact of COVID-19 on our business, operations and financial results; and competitive developments.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

News about that vaccine has been all over the place -- positive, negative, inconclusive. Initially people in China, I think, were the ones being vaccinated without much data or approval months ago (?). Then I heard there was barely something like a 51% efficacy rate or something and Brazil had stopped the vaccinations as a result. Then I heard the 90% number come out. I think China was also working on multiple vaccines, so I don't know - maybe I was hearing the results of various vaccines or something.

17. Amiga

Supporting Member

Wonder how they define all cases vs medical treatment... but this should have also covered the new more deadly variant (Brazil). Overall, another good news again on vaccine front, at least against severe cases.

"As of December 16, 2020, there were 12,396 health workers over 18 years old enrolled. A total of 253 positive cases were collected during the observation period. After 14 days following vaccination with 2 doses of vaccine following a 0, 14 day schedule, the efficacy rate against diseases caused by COVID-19 was 50.65% for all cases, 83.70% for cases requiring medical treatment, and 100.00% for hospitalized, severe, and fatal cases."

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The PRC has several vaccines with the Sinovac one the leading contender and the one most widely distributed. The various efficacies might be due to that they were testing them in several countries and data collection methods and standards might be varying. In Brazil they initially reported a 78% efficacy and then downgraded to a 50% efficacy. They stopped the trial because of a death of a participant but resumed when they determined the death was unrelated to the vaccine.

Here's an article with info on the PRC vaccines. Note the article is from Jan. 14th so much of it is out of date.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55212787

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

There isn't much to debate. The reality is what it is. We don't need to act like this is the cold war when the reality clearly shows that it isn't when you get past the headlines.

Russia has an agreement with Astrazeneca to work together. This is counter to the narrative being pushed in the story you referenced and all the stories I referenced.. They are trying to get their vaccine to poorer nations that don't have good relations with the US. They have a top notch vaccine. This is not debatable. It is what is happening. You can make your own decisions beyond what the headlines say. Xenophobia helps no one.

edit....not that it matters but I spent the better part of a day deciding if I was going to reply by writing stuff and then deleting it...and then spent way too long writing my reply. I hate to ask because it sounds rude and I do respect you on here, but did you read what I wrote and read all the links I posted? I understand it's completely possible to come away with different conclusions, but I wasn't sure after reading your post and your concluding line a few times. The final line gave me the feeling like I shouldn't have wasted as much time as I did trying to write a reply. This is the primary reason why I don't want to be in D&D.

#11379 robbie380, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You getting the shot?