1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I know a doctor and 2 nurses. The doctor takes it seriously. The nurses do not at all. Borderline anti-mask types. 1 contracted Covid. Lulz/sigh.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Google and silly valley are starting to take deeper strides into non-tech academia. There's a lot of waste and "human error" that they've systematized and improved that will make them leaders into areas like biochem and physics.

The issue with deep learning is that it's still an undecipherable black box with the only recourse is to pour even more info into it. That and other factors could potentially make scientific access less transparent.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I read about the mrna variants of the vaccine. It hijacks your cells into mass producing covid specific antigens that forces an immune response. The are doubts of efficacy of mrna vaccines with the concern that the payload might degrade before it hits the cells required to make the antigens, but those companies likely have addressed that potential issue.

This means that if the patient is infected with rona, the vaccine serves the purpose of generating an APB even if the actual virus is laying low while being highly contagious. My guess is that the difference primarily lies in how much quicker your immune response is kicking in rather than waiting until it's too late. This guess means all the people around you are on their own...

The other potential risk is non-maskers lying that they're already vaccinated. Given how cowardly these people are with death threats and hidden intimidation despite laying low when phone cameras are turned on, I think states have to step in and still make masks mandatory until a certain percentage is vaccinated.

That percentage could be derived by the amount of people vaccinated on record and the required number of the populace needed to promote herd immunity.

Amiga likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Did they ever figure out why men are dying at higher rates from covid? Women don't start dying at higher numbers until we get to the over 85 demographic but that's simply because there are more women alive. The percentages start to equalize a bit over 85 but men still die at higher rates.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex

When you adjust for population
    • under 75 men are dying at about a 73.5% higher rate compared to women
    • under 85 men are dying at about a 54% higher rate
    • over 85 men are dying at about a 23% higher rate

STR8Thugg likes this.
  5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Didn't really know about this so I googled and first thing I came across was this article. There could be some validity to it.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/men-more-susceptible-to-serious-covid-19-illnesses#:~:text=Several studies have shown that,stronger immune systems than men.

Higher rates of CVD, HTN, HLD, possibly higher levels of ACE2.

Also, I think I read somewhere that estrogen can play a protective role in this?

Although one thing that doesn't make sense to me... Aren't most the serious cases a result of exaggerated immune response, Cytokine storm, etc. It would seem that women would be at a disadvantage in that respect (and more prone to serious infections), but clearly they haven't been.

FrontRunner and robbie380 like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can see a pretty large malpractice suit if someone in that ward were to contract COVID-19.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

From what I had read awhile ago is that men have more underlying conditions and less healthy lifestyles than women.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As a country we should be doing more than just sitting back and hoping for the best..

9. STR8Thugg

That makes sense, but combined with research that shows women have a more exaggerated immune response due to increased mast cell activation I wonder why that hasn't caught up to them.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Long Covid. No one know why.

I’m 33 Years Old. I Got COVID-19 8 Months Ago. I’m Still Sick.

I’m just one of the thousands of Americans who have post-viral COVID-19 symptoms. This crisis won't end with a vaccine.

The best way I can describe how I am now, at the end of this strange, horrible year, is that I wake up most days feeling like I drank a six-pack of beer the night before. Washing the dishes, doing my laundry, or walking a few blocks leaves me in need of a sit-down. It’s a sort of gritty feeling in my body, a woolly feeling in my brain. My breathing is up and down; when I'm tired, I forget words midsentence. I need at least 10 hours of sleep most nights. And if I push too hard, it’s not just laborious — it’s actually painful, from my lungs to my head to the stinging in my eyes.

Jontro and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just got back from a doctor appointment and while chatting with one of the nurses, I told her I didn't expect it to be as busy there as it was (had I known, I would've skipped it... lol). She said, it's been busy because of flu season, but most of the people coming in with sniffles or flu symptoms are actually being diagnosed with COVID. I should've just skipped. lol.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

For months, I've been putting off a visit to see my ophthalmologist, my doctor that does the colonoscopy I'm due for, my dentist for the crown I was supposed to get 8 months ago, and have been seeing my regular doctor via Facetime. All to avoid exactly what you described.

Wow. It's been worrying me, but now I feel better!

Jontro likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's actually a good decision.

Buck Turgidson, Jontro and STR8Thugg like this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Agree. Putting that off is something I would have done anyway, but it looked good on the list.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I saw something awhile back that noted the female immune system dealt with respiratory infections more effectively than the male immune system, but I didn't see much confirmation of that with covid.

16. STR8Thugg

I thought you were the one posting about women dying at staggeringly lower rates than men from covid....?

But yeah just google womans immune system stronger than men and a lot of links will pop up. Apparently may be due to difference in mast cell activation. But again, that would seem counterintuitive in regards to dealing with covid.

17. STR8Thugg

In all seriousness don't skip on this though.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I’m not skipping it. I’m delaying doing it. I don’t want to enter a hospital for the procedure until it is safer to do so than it is today. I’ve had one every 5 years for about 20 years, so I’m familiar with why someone should have it, and all too familiar with the procedure itself. Your advice is well meant, however, and most appreciated.

STR8Thugg and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. STR8Thugg

That's fair. I'm not sure about where you do yours but my mom has always been able to do it at a surgical center where things like COVID are not being treated. Doesn't mean risk of exposure isn't technically there, but it's not like going to the hospital.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

where's the gender equality in that? i demand equality

robbie380 likes this.