1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

4 weeks. this is pretty detailed announcement. Not clear about retail/shopping but I'd assume, and probably easy to look up

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Under the new UK restrictions:
    • People are being told to stay at home unless they have a specific reason to leave, such as work which cannot be done from home and education
    • And people are also allowed to leave home for exercise medical reasons, food and other essential shopping and providing care for vulnerable people or for volunteering
    • Meeting indoors or in private gardens will not be allowed
    • But individuals can meet meet one other person from another household outside in a public place
    • Pubs, bars, restaurants and non-essential retail across the nation will close but takeaways and click-and-collect shopping can remain open
    • Leisure and entertainment venues, including gyms, will also close
    • Construction sites and manufacturing workplaces can remain open
    • People are still allowed to form support bubbles
    • Children can move between homes if their parents are separated
    • Clinically vulnerable people are asked to be "especially careful" but people are not being asked to resume shielding
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54763956

edwardc and KingCheetah like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

this looks to be he same as Netherlands, Belgium, Austria and France.
    Except maybe the end dates are different. I haven't looked up Italy and Germany.

4. Major

Major Member

Belgium the last few days is at 20,000 cases / day with a population of 11MM. That's the equivalent of 600,000 cases / day in the US.

We have a population density advantage relative to Europe, but looks like this is going to get a lot worse here as winter approaches.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Are people in Europe becoming as blasé about masking and indoor restaurants or something?

What gives?

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Possibly "yes", but the virus is also mutating and some believe a new, more contagious strain may be making the rounds helping to cause the spikes :

https://www.businessinsider.com/cov...ons-cases-tourists-holiday-scientists-2020-10
    https://www.wlwt.com/article/covid-...new-cases-hit-record-levels-in-ohio/34375259#

A 5000-person study done in Houston :
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/10/201030142123.htm
    https://www.houstonmethodist.org/ne...apid-spread-and-potential-for-mutant-viruses/

Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Slightly off topic-

Michael Bay brings you Covid-23, which presumably explodes in your bloodstream, I guess.

RKREBORN likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So I got some contacts at Methodist

my contact told me he had a friend who got the thing twice.
    first time was traveling in arizona , partying and the 75% of the party go it.
    mild symptoms but he had to get some meds from his doctor . He's an athletic dude who no health issues but he's in early 40s.
    second time he got it in the late summer, he had to go to the hospital and they gave him the strong steriods.
    i asked my contact what did that guy do the second time? he said he had dinner with someone and that person felt sick afterwards.
    don't know if it was dinner at a restaurant or at a home.
    anyways he told his friend thinks his ethnicity has something to do with it (african american) because his non black friends never got it as bad as he did.
    so today his friend is still living his life, traveling and such . pretty much , the virus never changed that dude's life, just put it on pause for a little.

so, what i got out of this is, that you can't let your guard down even with people you know and live your life.

Jontro likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Denmark to cull up to 17 million mink amid coronavirus fears

Prime Minister Frederiksen described the situation as "very, very serious".

She cited a government report which said the mutated virus had been found to weaken the body's ability to form antibodies, potentially making the current vaccines under development for Covid-19 ineffective.

"We have a great responsibility towards our own population, but with the mutation that has now been found, we have an even greater responsibility for the rest of the world as well," she told a news conference.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-54818615

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This was pretty bad news actually, as if 2020 just won't give humanity a break. A new branch of this **** attacking the immune system.

malakas likes this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I hope they can nip it in the bud before it can spread. Im almost happy for those mink as well, in a way, they were bred to live in cages their whole lives and then be slaughtered for their pelts. Maybe this way they can be put down peacefully and humanely, so they can end their horrible metal caged lives. Still sad.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Wtf is this. Seriously.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is 12 monkeys stuff

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a feeling a bulk slaughter of 17 million will not be peaceful and humane.

15. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

At 50-60 minks per coat, that's a ton of mink coats people are still buying in the pandemic!

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

yeah... Gawdammit.... Im still hoping though. Have you seen those creatures? They dont deserve bad things in life. Im more than willing to adopt one or five, sans the mutated covid thing.

cmoak1982 and Invisible Fan like this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

i saw an old footage of pigs being burned alive in some pit (i think china?) because they had some disease. it was one of the most horrible things i have ever watched, especially hearing them scream and cry as they slowly burn.

18. malakas

malakas Member

We got lockdowned again.

Nook likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

20. mario_v

mario_v Member

Is there going to be another lockdown in the US?