1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

I forgot people at work a months ago had gotten it too. One was 35? The other was 43? Both got really sick.

Jontro likes this.
  2. Roscoe Arbuckle

And yet nobody died. I've known three.

Two had discomfort for two weeks. One Asymptomatic.

You'd think libs would see this as a good thing but, no.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

i had a coworker who got pretty sick when this first broke out outside of china. he's since then recovered and another died a couple of weeks ago. but my organization's #1 is trying to nip any info on them from getting out for some stupid optics reason. so the office can still hold big meetings to this day. thing is, my org is a nonprofit intergovernmental institution, there really is no reason to force people to come in to work. cases where i am at are still increasing by the day with no peak in sight. luckily I've only been to the office once since march.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Our cousin's wife had both parents and an uncle die. But that's ok, because they were 55+, right?

No Worries, Sajan and TWS1986 like this.
  5. Roscoe Arbuckle

and the name of the deceased?

Jontro likes this.
  6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

libs? Why you bringing up politics for?

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

went up to her for what? Autograph or phone #?

8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

just like the flu uh.....

FrontRunner and TWS1986 like this.
  9. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

i wonder if the 32 yr old is recovered completely and if the 27 yr old had any preexisting health issues or obese?

10. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

You ignorant ****. This disease has long term effects some of which we don't even fully know about yet after "recovering". It's not a ******* common cold or flu.

#9710 TWS1986, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Andre0087 likes this.
  11. Roscoe Arbuckle

How old are you? Those aren't questions you ask when meeting anyone; even you.

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

13. goophers

goophers Member

The link’s answer to the common question comparing flu to covid deaths says that for covid “the data we have so far indicate that the crude mortality ratio (the number of reported deaths divided by the reported cases) is between 3-4% ... For seasonal influenza, mortality is usually well below 0.1%.”

Are you saying that 30-40x more lethal is ‘the same’? Otherwise it seems like you’re making their point.

TWS1986 likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There is a difference in CFR and IFR.

15. goophers

goophers Member

Yes, but unless you try to do math gymnastics to try to make a political statement, covid is multiple times worse than the flu which was the main point.

CFR IFR article

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I wish y'all would quit replying to whatever trolls are ruining what was a pretty useful thread for the last six months.

The POTUS's own taped words admit it's much worse than the flu -- this isn't a conversation for adults at this point.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It is multiple times worse than a normal seasonal flu. Pretty close to the more extreme flu strains. Obviously not the same type of sickness or family, but numbers are similar.
    Personally I don’t think the numbers warrant the reaction world wide but we still don’t know long term effects.

Jontro, goophers and TWS1986 like this.
  18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

hard to argue with stupidity and ignorance.....

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’ve known a ton of people that have had it, and one of my mentors in the restaurant industry died from it.

He was 43 and not in the best shape, but he would still be here if not for covid.

I work with restaurants and had not taken the virus too seriously, outside of wearing a mask and keeping my distance, until the night I got the text that Jeff passed. I was at topwater grill and started crying like a b****.

That man was my first reference when I applied for my first job after college and was an all around great person. It still hurts so damn bad knowing that if I text or message him on Facebook there won’t be a reply.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

sorry to hear breh. we've all lost loved ones or someone we're close to, and chances are those that haven't, will be affected before all of this is over.

sucks that so many world wide are still not taking this seriously. could save thousands of lives if we just take it a bit seriously. the best we can do is keep our own families out of harms way. can't trust others to do their part, so i tell my fam to stay home and do everything online as much as possible with the promise that we'll take a nice vacation once all of this is over.

CCorn likes this.