1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

It is hard to give Arizona any awards given their deaths/million is among the highest in the world - especially since they have the benefit of more medical knowledge/options. AZ/NY/NJ get no awards...

2. Major

Major Member

Remember when you last posted about how it was crazy that the media was talking about AZ rather than NY based on a brilliant one-day data sample, and then Arizona unsurprisingly continued to explode and actually surpassed NY in cases per million, despite a 3 month headstart on preparations and knowledge and a much less dense population, while NY continued to die down, and you disappeared and pretended it never happened? These are the kinds of that happen when you retweet things that you don't understand.

malakas likes this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Whatever the spin, it's both good news to see the decreasing positivity rates in several hotspots and also interesting to see that as part of a world-wide pattern.

I'm sure behavior (and shut downs) are helping but it seems like the virus burns through regions in disturbing peaks, and now we're going to see just how badly it can come back through (e.g. what Europe is seeing in several countries right now).

malakas, jchu14, Pringles and 3 others like this.
  4. Major

Major Member

There are some definite improvements in places like Arizona, and there seems to be some evidence that the virus kind of wears itself out after about 60-90 days. But in other places like Texas, it's a total mess so we have no idea what's happening here:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/12/acc...cline-in-testing-skews-drop-in-new-cases.html

In Texas, for instance, new cases have fallen by 10% to an average of 7,381 a day from 8,203 two weeks ago, based on a seven-day moving average. Testing, however, is down by 53% over the same time frame. Meanwhile, the percentage of positive tests has doubled over the last two weeks to about 24%, according to Johns Hopkins University. That compares with a so-called positivity rate of less than 1% in New York state, which was once considered the epicenter of the outbreak in the U.S.

arkoe and B-Bob like this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Wait til schools open. Just a lull. People don't seem to understand. You will have spikes and lulls, until there is a vaccine. Open schools....SPIKE. There is be another starting November....Flu Season.

pahiyas and tinman like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good news for Houston is that we got plenty of free testing.

7. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I hope this saliva test news pans out. Serious game changer..

B-Bob likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just started back in school, 1st day for kids to be back is the 20th.

This should be interesting.:confused:

B-Bob likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What classes are you taking?

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I Co Teach.

If you are serious.:D

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

What's CoTech is that about computers?

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

One selfish bright spot of all this crap is that I'm in my office at my home..and my wife is at the kitchen table teaching kindergartners online. She put me through law school teaching early elementary age kids. I've known she was good at her job, but right now I can her hear her teaching her class, and she's awesome.

Amiga, No Worries, Dr of Dunk and 4 others like this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Don't encourage him.

Where do you teach?

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

Sorry misread -- what sport do you Coeach?

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Bryan High.

Bryan Tx.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dam I just noticed that.:oops:

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

:mad:

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

@jiggyfly

Damn, I thought you were younger than that. Anyway, I have a friend who loves teaching but is starting to reconsider career choices because she's a germaphobe to begin with and then she's being put into teaching in the classroom with some disjointed/chaotic method of teaching with not much guidance. Then you have some parents b****ing about the first couple of weeks being online like the school system is their daycare center or seeming like they just want the kids out of the house so they don't have to deal with them. lol.

I really feel for some of these teachers, but not really much that can be done. I'm just hoping looking back we can say "yeah, we survived and learned from it" so it won't be a big loss. I'm just hoping it doesnt get worse for them as the months go on and Fall/Winter hits. I've been thinking about my old teachers from elementary/jr high/high school through all this and the hell they must've gone through having to deal with some of us.

jiggyfly and arkoe like this.
  19. KingCheetah

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Younger than what?

:eek: