1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

why shoot people who are doing you a favor and getting it sooner? what do you care?

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah that’s funny and all. But what about the people that own restaurants? People need to be ordering Togo in mass

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://jsmp.dk/posts/2020-05-07-herdimmunity/

He also has some good discussion in that thread.

jchu14 likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

For Texas, the 7 day % positive ticked down below 14% and deaths are still steady around 33. Testing has doubled over the past two weeks or so to about 45000 tests per day for the 7 day avg.

Hospitalizations still not slowing down and active cases continue to move up. South Texas hospitalizations spiked and they will be in trouble within a few days.

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

It is just business (their world) to the medical - scientific people. The politicians will tend to do what they do which is to play politics.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

[​IMG]

Michael Wiiest

@TheWiiest

·
    4h

Replying to
    @GovAbbott
    OVER REACH......we haven't had a king since 1776 and you drop this on the Texas populous going into Independence Day. Two quick questions. (1) You don't like being governor? (2) Is Dan Patrick running in 2022?

Can’t make this up, gawd I wish Fauci could convince Trump to make masks mandatory.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Isn't the "rapid" test not as reliable? What's the turnaround time for result with these tests?

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I might sound crazy but I wish all of the people b****ing about masks that have 100% made this way worse than it ever f’ing had to be. Would have to watch body cam footage of a DR’s 12+ hour shift I suppose with all faces blurred out in an intensive care unit in Houston or somewhere in the valley. Absolute morons all of them. This countries lack of culture with reality TV etc and lack of funding for education. The demonization of higher education. The lack of foresight to get students on the path of learning trade skills earlier in grade school education. The prison system. The systemic racism in the justice/court system. The military budget being bigger than the next 9-10 countries after the US. The messed healthcare system compared to the rest of countries with the capability of changing it. A certain political parties incapability to conclude that humans have an impact on climate change.

And to top it off they talk negatively about younger generations. Foxnews/MSNBC and other cable news along with Facebook has rotted their brains. If anyone wants to add to my rant, be my guest lol

9. Asian Sensation

Migrate

[​IMG]

peleincubus likes this.
  10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

11. HTM

HTM Member

We spend so much on education. Whether that is spent wisely or distributed equitably is a different matter.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

We absolutely do not. At least it is not filed out in a efficient manner. You are right though as far as total money allocated I’ve seen the statistics. Areas spend a lot where people are rich. Communities that don’t have money have schools that are falling apart. Then people b**** about how dumb and ignorant a proportion of Americans are like in my previous post, but people in govt don’t fix the the problems in low income neighborhoods and the problem perpetuates. Along with with the very very real school loan crisis.

what that amounts to is poor people In the streets and an explosion in COVID-19 in this country. Who knows what the next crisis will be in the coming years.

13. Buck Turgidson

It's just Alabama, what did yall expect?

14. Buck Turgidson

It sucks but there's nothing you can do at this point.

There's going to be a mess of bankruptcies and then a mess of cheap equipment....Open spaces already set up for a kitchen...What is rent going to look like? A great trailer may be one of the best things you could have in the short term, build your customer base or if you have one just go where they are and then eventually go to brick and mortar, maybe, but you'll have the choice when and where.

Does anyone know how this is going to work out? No.

peleincubus likes this.
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Here's my rant and I'll keep it relevant to the thread and not about D&D material....

I know the wear a mask crowd is everywhere right now, but I really wish we could get a take your vitamin C, vitamin D, zinc and go exercise 15 min a day crowd. Go see your doctor and keep getting checked for any underlying conditions if you have them and get your vitamin D levels checked. This will help for the upcoming flu season. It will provide more benefits than wearing a mask and slathering hand sanitizer all over and believing there is nothing more you can or should do. And yes wear a mask when you are inside with groups of people....

Be proactive about your health and don't sit around waiting for a vaccine in order to continue your life. If the CDC numbers are to be believed then we've had far more deaths related to the lockdown and people being afraid/unable to see their doctors than we have had from covid so far in Texas. Our healthcare system isn't affordable which should be even more incentive to be proactive and take control of your own health. The US just bought the entire supply of remdesivir. Brilliant guys! All you had to do instead was get people to take their vitamins and it would have a better outcome at a cheaper price.

Don't worry yourself sick over covid. I had to talk to my mom for awhile today to get her to relax over covid. She knows my feelings about it all, but she's still afraid to go do things because of all the media reports. She's afraid to go her haircut. She's afraid to go to her doctor too. She feels like she's trapped. I do go visit her and talk to her almost everyday, but if you feel like you are bombarded with fear then it's hard to escape that mindset. She's 70, but she isn't high risk and has no underlying conditions.

YOLO, Yung-T, AWIN and 1 other person like this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There's still zero proof of immunity after infection.
    A new study in a German hospital showed that 40% of people had zero antibodies after a month, a study in China showed ppl only having 20% antibodies after two months.

Advocating for herd immunity is extremely dangerous and irresponsible when there's no actual proof of there being immunity.

Nook, malakas and No Worries like this.
  17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

how dangerous is it to stone people?

18. conquistador#11

YOU CALLING ME FAT? WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? HOW DARE YOU! YOU COMMUNIST TRYING TO MAKE ME WORK OUT AND TAKE MY VITAMINS!!! YOU LIBERAL PANSY WITH YOUR SIT AND FIT ROUTINE!
    (this would be the response)

NotInMyHouse and Phillyrocket like this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

1- the ppl that have a healthy level of fear also probably likely do everything reasonable (taking vitamin, exercise, blah while going on their business but are careful)

2- the ppl that have an unhealthy level of fear -> yea, no good for them and they probably are also doing everything to protect themselves likely at an unreasonably level --> but probably good for society in preventing spread

3- the ppl that have a lack of fear and awareness -> probably is contributing to the spread,

4- the ppl that have an unhealthy level of denial -> refusing to mask, it's a hoax, it's just going to vanish >>> probably is contributing to the spread

I think I'll take 1 & 2 .

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

Testing is a complete failure. When someone feels sick they should be able to get tested and get the results in a timely manner. This is not happening. According to the chronicle it’s taking an average of 16 days to get test results back when getting tested in Harris county. Furthermore, a relatively few people are getting the tests when needed.

We are about five months into this pandemic and testing isn’t anywhere where it needs to be. I understand that it’s really difficult to ramp up so quickly. But damn, all we’ve heard from the very beginning was how important testing is.

I’m really disgusted that Trump wanted to rid himself and the federal gov’t with the responsibility of testing as quickly as possible. I’m not saying that state and local gov’t isn’t blameless in this matter. But, someone needs to step up and get testing up to speed in our time of need. I think we need all the available resources the federal government can provide at this point in time.

It’s been five months. This is a disgrace.

No Worries likes this.