1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I agree with you. What I mean is if someone is displaying signs of symptoms of anything, they should limit themselves to their homes or rooms for families, mask up, wash and bathe often, ect... Even if its just allergies, precautions should be taken.

Americans do not take care of themselves. My friend showed up to work 3 days complaining about symptoms which he attributed to bad heartburn. He would leave early claiming he was exhausted. We kept telling him to go see the doctor. By Thursday morning, he had two stents put in from having a heart attack. Now he is smoking less and eating a bit better.

Im really surprised there have not been more deaths from this virus.

BigM, Ziggy and B-Bob like this.
  2. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

A quick correction for your numbers. I assume you got the 50 number from Texas DSHS? That's 50 out 664 fatal cases that had completed fatality investigations. Not 50 out of 2000 cases overall.

Another thing of not is that around 30% of the hospitalized cases are 49 or younger according to CDC's Covid-Net Data. https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_5.html

The trend is also increasing hospitalization of younger people. In mid-April, the 49 and younger group only made up about 22% of those hospitalized. By week of June 6, the 49 and younger group made up 36% of those hospitalized.

So even though the vast majority of these younger patients end up not dying, a very large number of them still gets ill enough to be hospitalized.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

In addition to what everyone else has said, gloves might also create a false sense of security.

Without gloves on, one might not be tempted (or the need might not arise for you) to touch 100 things in a given room. The less one touches, the less one's hands act as a carrier for bacteria, viruses, etc to be transported from place to place.

With gloves on, one might not be as vigilant in caring about what they touch, thereby transferring all manners of stuff from place to place.

4. Nook

Nook Member

It is likely one of a number of factors, including the viral load exposure as well with masks, etc.

robbie380 likes this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Those are exceptionally high numbers for a disease in the United States...

DVauthrin likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd guess heart disease and cancer have been deadly for Americans since February. Though, that is with social distancing. Where social distancing was ineffective, COVID is likely the top killer.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

What's your side and what's the other side? Personally, I'm on the side that wants me and my family members, friends etc to live without ever being exposed to this thing, nor deal with any lingering consequences should we be so unlucky to contract it.

I haven't read through all 400 pages of this thread, but what exactly is "extreme?" Of the stuff I've read, most of the posters are just saying to stay home if you don't need to go out, stay home if you feel sick. And if you do need to go out, exercise some caution and wear a mask properly - if not for yourself, then for others.

No one seems to be saying anything along the lines of "stay home forever!" or anything like that. And just because stats say 2.5% / 0.65% or whatever, doesn't mean people in any age group are okay with being infected by this thing.

The problem is with the people not even wearing a mask. It's like, no matter how well I protect myself, there's always some idiot(s) causing problems.

Analogy: You can get the best car insurance, practice strict driving habits and obey all the laws of the road, accounting for yourself while doing everything perfectly. But there's always that drunk driver (read: non-mask wearing asymptomatic carrier) who doesn't. And that's the person who messes everything up.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Is it? Since Feb?

0.625% monthly death rate for all under 50
    0.16% monthly death rate for all under 30

9. Major

Major Member

This would make it one of the deadliest high-spread diseases ever. At that rate, if the whole US got infected, you're talking about 7 million people dead, which is more than the population of 35 states.

It would mean 1 out of every 40 people being dead. In reality, the actual death rate is likely much lower, but I think it's bizarre that you'd think that 2.5% is a low death rate.

R0ckets03 and mikol13 like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I suspect a lot larger than the March/April numbers. My guess would be double that amount.

I enjoy watching old video from 100 years ago or older. Typically of major cities, and people walking etc. It is relevant because I was recently watching one from the same period of the Spanish Flu and it was the Boardwalk in the North East. There were thousands of people on the beaches, and people in close proximity to one another inside and outside. About 10% of the population had some face cover, all women...... the rest had nothing. This was during the worst of the pandemic, and they knew it was spread through the breathe and close proximity.

People are wired the same, be it now or the past.

What the public views as acceptable death changes with conditions. People adjust over time. During the the worst part of the plague, people were still going out in public and risking death. During the worst times in London and Germany in WWII, with constant bombing of the cities, people still went out and attempted to have a normal life. It is how we are wired.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Masks make a large difference when everyone wears them. It limits the misting of the virus and the radius of the virus.

It is why the public resistance to wearing the masks is absurd.

buffalobills!!!, arkoe and BigM like this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes preventative measures have helped but I don’t know if they ever actually determined that the viral load exposure was a contributing factor in case severity. I saw mixed information on it and I haven’t really researched it since.

Nook likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's been an enormous disruption to all of our lives. It's been a financial disaster for far too many. It has destroyed lives, it has destroyed businesses that people spent decades building. It has ruined careers for people who had spent untold hours, days, months, years preparing themselves for, as well as putting themselves in debt. Athletic careers have been put on hold. Years training for the Olympics and other major competitions suddenly closed for who knows how long? I could go on.

My partner and I are both retired, our home paid for, a steady income and I'm very aware of just how lucky we are, but we've also been impacted. It took many years to acquire that "luck," and it's not like we have forever to do the things we were going to do this year and in the future, but compared to many, we're very fortunate.

I know all that, and it doesn't change a simple fact. This is a pandemic. My daughter, a software developer with a great career who can work from home, calls it "the Plague." It's an apt description. I've spent a lot of time placing blame for things being as bad as they are, but not in this forum. I certainly won't do it now.

What I will say, however, is that those who aren't being careful, who aren't wearing masks when they should, who aren't practicing "social distancing," the weird term we suddenly find ourselves using, are putting far more than themselves at risk and are being wildly irresponsible. I hope they don't have to lose someone they are close to in order to figure that out.

#8033 Deckard, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I have seen mixed results as well, I suspect that they do not know for sure.

15. HTM

HTM Member

You left your compound yet? :p. I thought I remember you saying you were hunkering down with multiple families. Made me think of early-mid 18th century pioneer wagon train in a way. Nook in the role of Jebediah Springfield.

Nook and tierre_brown like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've been really interested in the initial viral load received and resulting level of illness, but haven't seen much detail about that since the early days of the outbreak. To make a simple (dumb) analogy - do a huge line of coke get really wired - do a small key bump and you catch a little buzz. Early on it seems people were receiving large amounts of the virus which was causing severe reactions -- the symptoms seemed to decrease rapidly in severity as protective measure were put in place.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

No need to explain things to outlier, hes shown to be extremely ignorant on this matter with no attempt to learn from what others have said.

Nook likes this.
  18. Outlier

Outlier Member

Of course, just dismiss anything when it disagrees with you. Im engaging in polite discourse. People dont seem to like being challenged with facts. Im reading every comment here. Im playing devils advocate in some posts because people dont seem to be OPEN to the fact that this virus may not be as serious as they think it is. Theyve just ACCEPTED its bad and everyone else is wrong.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I can't find much recent information on this either and I just did a lot of searching around today.

It seems like with the worldwide case count, we should be getting some good data sets in publication now. o_O

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

KC liked to party when he was a young cheetah